The Student Room Group

help needed with questions related to the psychodynamic approach

im am really struggling with what to write for these questions:

1.Evaluate freud's belief that the personality had three components,the id,ego and superego

2.Evaluate freud's explanation of gender development through oedipus/electra complex

3.Barney always arrived early for an appointment so as not to be late,but then,unable to bring himself to be seen early,he would wait round the corner until there was just one minute to go.At that point he would turn the corner,and enter,exactly on time.when it came to paying his bills the bill would be paid at the last possible moment and tips were never given.

Describe and evaluate how the psychodynamic approach would explain and treat these problems.
soph20

1.Evaluate freud's belief that the personality had three components,the id,ego and superego

2.Evaluate freud's explanation of gender development through oedipus/electra complex

3.Barney always arrived early for an appointment so as not to be late,but then,unable to bring himself to be seen early,he would wait round the corner until there was just one minute to go.At that point he would turn the corner,and enter,exactly on time.when it came to paying his bills the bill would be paid at the last possible moment and tips were never given.

Describe and evaluate how the psychodynamic approach would explain and treat these problems.

I'd love to help :yes: Give me a minute to write it all outttttt
Reply 2
catiecashman

thanks alot..i really appreciate it
soph20

1. According to Freud the id part of our personality contains our most basic drives. The id is responsible for instinctive drives such as food, water, sex and basic impulses. The id needs immediate satisfaction which is called the "pleasure principle". Freud believed the id to have two insticts - life and death. Life instincts are that which give us pleasant survival ; eating, drinking, sex. Death instincts are our unconscious desire to die in order to escape reality, pain and unhappiness. They can manifest through aggressive behavior. Our death instincts are what draw us to fantasy, drugs, fiction and media.

The ego is the referee between the id, superego and reality. It is the part of our personality that includes defensive, perceptual, intellectual-cognitive, and executive functions. The ego is what makes us consciously aware and able to separate/organise our thoughts. The ego is responsible for our safety and allowing some of the id's desires to be expressed, but only when benefits outweigh consequences. (There is a LOTTTTTT in the way of problems with the ego.. I can help with that but silly to write all if not needed.. let me know)

Superego. A good way to think of the superego is to think of it as your conscience. This is because it is mostly unconscious and responsible for that criticism and prohibition of drives, fantasies, feelings, and actions. Freud believed that the super-ego is an internalisation of the parental figures and cultural regulations/rules/norms.

2 - Look up Psycho sexual Development according to Freud - there's lots
Reply 4
what past paper are these questions from?
Hi,
For the third question, I would look into the fixations of being suck in Freud's psychosexual stages.. The stage he is referring to in the scenario is a fixation in the anal stage, so i would look into that

Your first question has already been answered and for the second one there are loads, yes.. what i would recommend is what ever board your exam is with look at the mark schemes to the questions. I took this from a mark scheme from edexcel it might not be the same board but similar evaluation points should apply:

The Oedipus complex focuses on the unconscious, which is not
scientific because it cannot be
measured/proven/tested/assessed/observed etc. Freud used case
studies to gather qualitative data. He had to interpret the data so it
can be criticised for being subjective (based on
opinion)/misinterpreted/unreliable/biased/invalid/
One of these case studies is about one boy called Little Hans so the
results may not be representative/generalised/reliable/typical
Freud’s theory of gender development focuses mainly on boys so it is
not representative/valid/applicable of girls.

Hope this helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending