The Student Room Group

oxford uni PG Cert in psychodynamic counselling

Has anyone been for an interview for this course? I have one next week and would love to know the sort of things they asked you...
Hi Louisa, what sort of things did they ask you? And were you successful? My interview is next week!
Reply 2
I keep typing here and the answer disappears. I got in but can’t remember exact questions. If you can message me your email address I can email answer
Original post by louisa_ha
I keep typing here and the answer disappears. I got in but can’t remember exact questions. If you can message me your email address I can email answer

congratulations! How was the course? Any information you are willing to share will be greatly appreciated, thanks so much.
Reply 4
The course was amazing albeit online. I’m now half way through the PG DIp which is also great.

Be prepared to express how your personal life experience impacts your decision to apply and go down this route. If you can, see if you can link any of it to psychodynamic concepts.

Have something you’ve recently read that had an impact on you in mind and be prepared to think about why it impacted you the way it did.

They’ll ask what your commitments are and whether your are supported outside of the course as it’s quite demanding.

They might ask you about previous therapy. Not in depth but how you found it etc.

They will ask why this course and why Oxford.

My interview was about 30 mins long only. And you usually find out a few weeks later depending on where you come in the order of interviewees.

Happy to answer specifics if you have them. I tried sending a PM so I could give you my email but it won’t let me
The course was amazing albeit online. I’m now half way through the PG DIp which is also great.

Be prepared to express how your personal life experience impacts your decision to apply and go down this route. If you can, see if you can link any of it to psychodynamic concepts.

Have something you’ve recently read that had an impact on you in mind and be prepared to think about why it impacted you the way it did.

They’ll ask what your commitments are and whether your are supported outside of the course as it’s quite demanding.

They might ask you about previous therapy. Not in depth but how you found it etc.

They will ask why this course and why Oxford.

My interview was about 30 mins long only. And you usually find out a few weeks later depending on where you come in the order of interviewees.

Happy to answer specifics if you have them. I tried sending a PM so I could give you my email but it won’t let me

Wow, thank you for taking the time to write that very detailed response. Were you in full-time employment during the course? I am at the moment but would be willing to give it up/have the means to if that would increase my chances! p.s. I also tried to add my email but it was deleted!
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 6
Original post by jasmine_alice_
Wow, thank you for taking the time to write that very detailed response. Were you in full-time employment during the course? I am at the moment but would be willing to give it up/have the means to if that would increase my chances! p.s. I also tried to add my email but it was deleted!

No prob!
I worked part time but plenty of people did the certificate alongside working full time. It’s 3-4 hours a week class once a week and about 10 hours work a week reading etc but that varies. On the PG Dip some work full time but it’s not really ideal. You need to fit in supervision, weekly therapy, min 3 clients, and class per week on top of reading time on the dip. So best to do part time then if you want to retain some sanity
No prob!
I worked part time but plenty of people did the certificate alongside working full time. It’s 3-4 hours a week class once a week and about 10 hours work a week reading etc but that varies. On the PG Dip some work full time but it’s not really ideal. You need to fit in supervision, weekly therapy, min 3 clients, and class per week on top of reading time on the dip. So best to do part time then if you want to retain some sanity

Thank you, that is good to know! I will let you know if I have any more questions before my interview. I really appreciate all the time you have given.
Reply 8
Thank you, that is good to know! I will let you know if I have any more questions before my interview. I really appreciate all the time you have given.

You’re welcome. Best of luck!
Hi louisa_ha, I got on the course! Thank you so much for your tips, they definitely helped a lot! I was wondering if you (or anyone else that happens to come across this message) know of any funding opportunities that you or other students on the course used - outside of Oxford scholarships, as I think I am too late to apply for those...Many thanks, Jasmine

You’re welcome. Best of luck!
Reply 10
Hi louisa_ha, I got on the course! Thank you so much for your tips, they definitely helped a lot! I was wondering if you (or anyone else that happens to come across this message) know of any funding opportunities that you or other students on the course used - outside of Oxford scholarships, as I think I am too late to apply for those...Many thanks, Jasmine

Amazing. Congratulations! Unfortunately I don’t know of any funding options. It’s financially really a struggle to be honest. Especially with paying for supervision and therapy on top now on the PG Dip.
Amazing. Congratulations! Unfortunately I don’t know of any funding options. It’s financially really a struggle to be honest. Especially with paying for supervision and therapy on top now on the PG Dip.

Hey Louisa and Jasmine,

Congratulations to you both for getting on the course and to you Louisa for continuing on to the diploma :smile:

I’m Helen and thinking about applying for the 2024 course but am a bit unsure about my experience. I have a 2:1 in Psychology, am in personal psychodynamic therapy and have volunteered at a mental health crisis phone line over the past few years, so I’m really passionate but I worry that my experience is not particularly academically or clinically concrete. If you’re comfortable sharing a bit about your experience before the course I would so appreciate it (I tried to DM but my account is too new). Your comments in this thread have already been really helpful in considering the course at this early stage! Thank you x
Reply 12
Hi all - resurrecting this post as I've recently been invited to interview for the same course. Really excited!

Can anyone share further details on how best to prepare for the questions? Does anyone know the % of interviewees who make it through to the course? I'm about to begin the reading list in hopes that will help prepare me for any specific questions about psychodynamic theory.

Thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest