The Student Room Group

Oxford Law Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Well, not necessarily get 60 but just pass.
Original post by Kal_16
Hey guys. I've heard that at other universities/on other courses, every year a percentage of the year group is dropped. For example, the bottom 15% from the first sitting of the exam have to re-sit and then on the re-sit, those who get in the lowest 5% are kicked out. Is that the case with law mods? Is it possible for everybody theoretically in the year to get 60? Or will the bottom 5-15% fail?

No, it isn't - and yes, it is possible for everyone to pass. If someone doesn't pass first time they are given a re-sit in Trinity and only if they didn't pass that time would they be kicked out by their College. Afaik it is pretty rare for anyone to fail and the only person I've known who re-sat in Trinity was only re-sitting one paper because they'd been too ill to take it in Hilary.

Most people only have to pass Law Mods to continue with the course. The exception is those on the four year course (Law with Law Studies in Europe) who have to get an average of 60 to proceed with that course; otherwise they are "demoted" to the three-year course.

Hope that helps!
For anyone doing Jurisprudence in 2011 (hopefully). I'll be at St. Edmund Hall hopefully, anyone else have Law offers?
1) 4A* 2A 1B 3C
2) A*A*Aa
Reply 384
Got my offer to study at Queen's. :smile:
Does Oxford award degrees based on a bell curve, so the number of Firsts/ 2:1 are fixed? Or is it dependent solely on how well each individual candidate does (ie if all candidates are deserving of 2:1, everyone gets it)?
Reply 386
Original post by TheLonelyGirl
I know I want to do Law. I know I want to go to Oxford (lots of my family members went there, I love the library and it seems like a nice place etc etc etc)
People who are doing Law at Oxford currently
1)What GCSE results did you get
2) What A-Level results did you get?
:smile:

I'm not currently a student, but I have received an offer to study Law with French Law at Magdalen College, so i'm hoping my advice will still be helpful ;p
My GCSEs were average by Oxford standards; 7 A*s, 2 As and 1 B
And my AS results were : History ; A , English Literature; A, French; A and Philosophy and Ethics; A. Predicted A level grades - A*, A*, A*, A respectively.

My grades are standard, so my advice would be to concentrate more on LNAT preparation and making your personal statement perfect. I was told that the majority of people who were not called for interview were rejected on the basis of their LNAT scores, for Magdalen at least, so I would focus on the test !
Hope this helped :smile:
Reply 387
Original post by tommy1311
Law at Queen's. Need to start doing a bit of reading!

Understanding Law's strangely expensive. Anywhere that doesn't have such an inflated price?

I found a copy in my local library :smile:
Reply 388
Original post by Beckiii_x
I'm not currently a student, but I have received an offer to study Law with French Law at Magdalen College, so i'm hoping my advice will still be helpful ;p
My GCSEs were average by Oxford standards; 7 A*s, 2 As and 1 B
And my AS results were : History ; A , English Literature; A, French; A and Philosophy and Ethics; A. Predicted A level grades - A*, A*, A*, A respectively.

My grades are standard, so my advice would be to concentrate more on LNAT preparation and making your personal statement perfect. I was told that the majority of people who were not called for interview were rejected on the basis of their LNAT scores, for Magdalen at least, so I would focus on the test !
Hope this helped :smile:

Offer holder with 2A*s, 2As and 6Bs.

Don't get sucked in completely by the myths.
Reply 389
Original post by tommy1311
Offer holder with 2A*s, 2As and 6Bs.

Don't get sucked in completely by the myths.

Offer holder with no A*s at GCSE backing up this gentleman's claim.
I recommend Letters To A Law Student by Nicholas McBride.
Reply 391
Original post by peachesandcream77
7A* 2A* 1 B is really really good!!
even by oxbridge standards

To be honest it really isn't, it's probably average, however it isn't as important as people harp on about.
Reply 392
Doesn't give me a lot of hope then.. I'm doing AS now and got 4A*6A's at GCSE and want to study law at Oxbridge.. hopefully it isn't as important as you say and my AS grades will overlook it?

As I say, I got only 2a*s, 3as (I think) and 6Bs, and I'm holding an offer to study law in 2011. Just make sure everything about your offer is perfect, and your references are good and you should be alright.
out of interest what did you get at GCSE?
snap i go to one of the top state grammars in the country where results of 8 - 10A* are the norm, so I'm feeling slightly below average with my 4A*6A's.. regret not doing enough work/revision so much :frown: Really really hoping they wont hinder my application to oxbridge..

I think that if you get 7A's from, for example, a low achieving comprehensive where the pass rate is less than 20 percent then they would regard it as the same as someone who got 7A*s.. I think?

I think they look at your GCSE's in context of your school. If you're in a private school where the average is 10 A's, and you get 10 A's, you're average. Averagely clever, but still average. If however you get 10 A's in a school like mine, where half of the students can't spell their own names, you look better. My UCAS reference was talking about how our AS class sizes were 20+.
Reply 394
Wow, that is fantastic, congratulations!! By everything else do you mean interview, personal statement and AS grades?
Out of curiosity then, did you get get 95% + average in your AS? And what were you predicted?

:biggrin: No! Only +90 in one of my subjects, but it's not really important. Well, not this year anyway.
Reply 395
Original post by micky022
I think they look at your GCSE's in context of your school. If you're in a private school where the average is 10 A's, and you get 10 A's, you're average. Averagely clever, but still average. If however you get 10 A's in a school like mine, where half of the students can't spell their own names, you look better. My UCAS reference was talking about how our AS class sizes were 20+.

Is this not normal?
Original post by Mann18
Is this not normal?

I'm not sure, but there aren't enough seats for us all in some classrooms. I don't mind it, although when there was heavy snow there were four of us in History and it was great.
Reply 397
I'm not sure, but there aren't enough seats for us all in some classrooms. I don't mind it, although when there was heavy snow there were four of us in History and it was great.

When there was heavy snow there were 20 of us playing outside in the snow, and that was great too :tongue:;

Got your offer letter for SEH yet then?
Original post by Mann18
When there was heavy snow there were 20 of us playing outside in the snow, and that was great too :tongue:;

Got your offer letter for SEH yet then?

I have, I tacked it to the wall to encourage me to revise. No-one bothered to turn up when it snowed for us...
Reply 399
I have, I tacked it to the wall to encourage me to revise. No-one bothered to turn up when it snowed for us...

That is a good idea.
Mine's in a secure place, away from my mother's prying hands.

When we turned up when it snowed, we were told to leave, so you can imagine the frolicing that occured in the park across from college.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending