The Student Room Group

Oxford Law Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
In my opinion it is Chemistry,English Language,History,Biology or sociology and or computer science
English lit, history, politics, a foreign language, basically any respected A Level, although essay subjects would be more useful than sciences for law.

English language often isn't as respected as English lit. Likewise with sociology-it's often seen as a bit of a soft subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What super_kawaii said.

Science A Levels are of limited relevance, sociology is soft, and English language is soft relative to literature.

Stick to solid essay subjects like English literature, history, politics, MFL, geography, RS etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CHANELNO5
Hey guys,
I'm looking for a bit of help here. After reading this thread people seem to be insinuating that different colleges look at different things so I was wondering if you guys could give me some guidance. I was going to apply for 2013 entry but due to external circumstances (a close relative passed away) I didn't end up applying at all this year although I did write a PS and take the LNAT exam. I am looking to apply for 2014 entry, after my A2 exams (which are happening now).
Anyway here are my stats:
GCSEs: 8A* 2A
AS: AAAB (I did 5 re-sits though)
A2 (predictions): A*AA, but I think it's more likely I will get AAA
LNAT: 26/42 (average this year was 21), I think I could get this score again...
Obviously I don't know how good the LNAT essay was as I didn't end up applying.
I have also done lots of work experience, read a lot, the standard stuff really and I have some other work experience lined up for my gap year.

The colleges I have shortlisted are St John's, Trinity, Exeter and Magdalen. I like them all a lot but St John is my current favourite.

Could someone tell me what criteria these colleges look at/ which one would be the best with my results etc

Thank you!

I'm slightly doubtful as to how different the criteria can be across colleges (the Faculty has a list of what it looks for), my guess is that if it ever differs, it's probably in the weightage of factors. And at any rate, it's going to be quite hard to tell if this is true at all because all evidence is anecdotal and in too small numbers to be statistically reliable. Maybe you could try emailing the Admissions secretary at those colleges?

They're all lovely colleges - my suggestion is look at factors like accommodation (John's is good on this IMO, Exeter and Trinity have annexes that are pretty far out), the number of lawyers, location, size of the college, facilities, funding and grants etc

If anything, I'd pick John's because it's rich = lots of funding, cheap food (but the quality isn't as good as Trinity IMO), cheap accommodation :tongue:
Reply 784
Hey guys,
I'm looking for a bit of help here. After reading this thread people seem to be insinuating that different colleges look at different things so I was wondering if you guys could give me some guidance. I was going to apply for 2013 entry but due to external circumstances (a close relative passed away) I didn't end up applying at all this year although I did write a PS and take the LNAT exam. I am looking to apply for 2014 entry, after my A2 exams (which are happening now).
I have also done lots of work experience, read a lot, the standard stuff really and I have some other work experience lined up for my gap year.

The colleges I have shortlisted are St John's, Trinity, Exeter and Magdalen. I like them all a lot but St John is my current favourite.

Could someone tell me what criteria these colleges look at/ which one would be the best with my results etc

Thank you!

definitearticle is on point with his response. at both of the colleges at i interviewed at i had to read a case pre-interview. as i always say to people who are thinking of applying, don't choose a college based on where you think you will get in, choose on where you think you would like to be. i was pooled both before and after interview so there is a not insignificant chance you will end up somewhere different anyway. in addition to the factors mishieru lists, you might also want to consider proximity to the law fac, sainsburys/tesco etc.
Hi, I'm probably going to apply for law (as a second undergrad degree) after a BA in sociology at a prominent well respected uni in India.
Of course grades are extremely important, but how much do activities that demonstrate passion forlaw count? Which would be included in the personal statement. How much weight do those things carry, really? Significantly? Or is it true that the grades you get almost solely determine your offer/rejection.

All opinions welcome! Thanks I'm advance!

:smile:
Original post by littletiger
Hi, I'm probably going to apply for law (as a second undergrad degree) after a BA in sociology at a prominent well respected uni in India.
Of course grades are extremely important, but how much do activities that demonstrate passion forlaw count? Which would be included in the personal statement. How much weight do those things carry, really? Significantly? Or is it true that the grades you get almost solely determine your offer/rejection.

All opinions welcome! Thanks I'm advance!

:smile:

Oxford (and UK universities generally) don't emphasize on ECs - it's pretty much all about the grades. In particular, Oxford's Law course is academic as opposed to vocational. You should definitely include ECs into your PS, but the bulk of it should be on why you want to study law as an academic subject (of course, you could say things like "I encountered xxxx case when I was working in z firm, and I found this area of law fascinating because ccccc. I later went and read ddd books on this" etc)
Could someone clear something up for me?

If you're not a Christian and you apply to the christian related colleges, do you have a less chance of getting in? Just wondering
Original post by IHTWFR

If you're not a Christian and you apply to the christian related colleges, do you have a less chance of getting in? Just wondering

All colleges were Christian in their foundation. Religious preferences in the mainstream colleges went more than a century ago. The Permanent Private Halls do expect members to have a sympathy with, but not necessarily a belief in, their underlying doctrinal basis.
Original post by IHTWFR

Don't think so. Last I checked, my tutors didn't care about what religion I ascribed to.
Reply 790
Hey guys,

Thank you!

Do remember that the law faculty in general will look at the applications and decide who to shortlist for interview - I chose Trinity as my preferred college when I applied last year, but was instead interviewed by Corpus Christi. Some colleges are more popular and hence more oversubscribed than others, but this doesn't mean you stand a higher chance if you picked a "less popular" college of preference - if, in my case (I presume), Trinity had too many applicants, other colleges may decide to take up your application and interview you.
has anyone here actually got into law at oxford or even haad an interview?
if so pcould you plese get in touch with me. would really appreciate some advice before applying :smile:
Original post by Gomez Hendrix
has anyone here actually got into law at oxford or even haad an interview?
if so pcould you plese get in touch with me. would really appreciate some advice before applying :smile:

I just finished my 2nd year doing Law at Oxford - what kind of advice are you looking for?
Original post by mishieru07
I just finished my 2nd year doing Law at Oxford - what kind of advice are you looking for?

thanks for getting back to me. just wondering what my chances were.

i got 5 As (english lnag, lit history, re, science , 3Bs (science, maths, graphics) and 1 c (music)
should get AAA prediction for AS and done work experience, volunteering etc

do you know of anyone who got in with similar gcse grades. also does the LNAT play a major part?
Original post by Gomez Hendrix
thanks for getting back to me. just wondering what my chances were.

i got 5 As (english lnag, lit history, re, science , 3Bs (science, maths, graphics) and 1 c (music)
should get AAA prediction for AS and done work experience, volunteering etc

do you know of anyone who got in with similar gcse grades. also does the LNAT play a major part?

Hmm I'm actually an international student, so I didn't undergo the British A level system.

I don't really know about the GCSE grades of my course mates, so I'm afraid I can't comment. However, given that your grades are probably below the Oxford average (They consider a strong GCSE profile to be one of majority A*s/ As: http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/courses/courses_and_entrance_requirements/), you could perhaps consider applying to Cambridge? Cambridge administers a law test too and looks more to AS marks, so if you do well in those, that should stand you in good stead. Cambridge also interview more people than Oxford, so that's something to take into consideration.

The LNAT definitely plays a part (possibly a significant one in shortlisting for interview), I'm not sure how big though. I suspect it's a more holistic assessment, taking into account all factors (ie PS, Reference, GCSEs and LNAT + interview if you're invited).

At any rate, definitely email admissions and ask them. They will probably be able to provide you with more information, and give you better feedback on your profile.

Sorry for not being very helpful!
Reply 795
I am hoping to go to Oxford to study law, would these A-Levels be suitable: English Lit, History, Sociology, Psychology or Philosophy...
I would also like to know which subjects are considered as 'soft' and which subjects are respected. Thanks in advance
Original post by RNG06
I am hoping to go to Oxford to study law, would these A-Levels be suitable: English Lit, History, Sociology, Psychology or Philosophy...
I would also like to know which subjects are considered as 'soft' and which subjects are respected. Thanks in advance

Definitely Psychology & Sociology are soft subjects considered by many universities but I recommend you do a Science A-Level & Philosophy but Sociology seems good choice for law.
Original post by acecahill39
Definitely Psychology & Sociology are soft subjects considered by many universities but I recommend you do a Science A-Level & Philosophy but Sociology seems good choice for law.

English Lit and History are always strong A Levels to have, as acecahill39 says, psychology and sociology are often considered 'soft' but I would contact the admissions department to get a definitive answer. Economics is always good to have.
I would agree that Psychology and Sociology should be avoided if possible, but if you think you would really enjoy them, then do it! Maths is always a useful one to have? But if you are definitely going down the arts side of things, i wouldn't bother with a science because to me it seems a bit like hedging your bets a bit too much!
A Language is always a good thing!
My view is that a Law applicant should maybe have at most two humanities subjects, but avoiding the likes of sociology. I am firm believer that I good lawyer also has the analytical skills fostered by the numerate A Levels such as Maths, Physics etc. So I would advice you make your third subject one of these. To illustrate this point, a number of physics graduates each year go on to train as solicitors and barristers each year, according to the Institute of Physics. They obviously stress how attractive something like physics is to these professions.

Whereas someone who has done all humanities A Levels does not ever really stand a chance of getting into any job/sector that has some dependancy on analytical skills etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending