The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Because of your 'special' circumstances you should be able to get an interview. Get 90%+ in your main subjects and you'll be in with a shout

Now for the interview you need to blow them away. READ,READ and READ more. Have knowledge about current affairs and obvious things but also extend past your syllabus's.

Have a good reason for your 'poor' grades but since you have one should be fine. Make up for GCSE by doing phenomenally well as AS.
Reply 21
Yeah, I didn't really put effort into any other subject than philosophy as I don't find them all that interesting, but I'm aiming to get around 90% in each of my subjects at the end of this year, maybe a little higher for philosophy, and a little lower for RS but overall around 90, which from what i've observed would make me roughly on a level playing field with other candidates, maybe a little lower actually, but given the circumstances. And that is my plan, to read a LOT of books over the summer and make sure I fully understand them so I have a lot to talk about in the interview and so on. A strong interview and Average (for OXbridge) AS results, should blitz those GCSE's away, combined with a good reason of course.
Reply 22
The Young Economist
Because of your 'special' circumstances you should be able to get an interview. Get 90%+ in your main subjects and you'll be in with a shout

Now for the interview you need to blow them away. READ,READ and READ more. Have knowledge about current affairs and obvious things but also extend past your syllabus's.

Have a good reason for your 'poor' grades but since you have one should be fine. Make up for GCSE by doing phenomenally well as AS.

P.s. is this posted in the right place? :P
Reply 23
Lyam
Yeah, I didn't really put effort into any other subject than philosophy as I don't find them all that interesting, but I'm aiming to get around 90% in each of my subjects at the end of this year, maybe a little higher for philosophy, and a little lower for RS but overall around 90, which from what i've observed would make me roughly on a level playing field with other candidates, maybe a little lower actually, but given the circumstances. And that is my plan, to read a LOT of books over the summer and make sure I fully understand them so I have a lot to talk about in the interview and so on. A strong interview and Average (for OXbridge) AS results, should blitz those GCSE's away, combined with a good reason of course.

Yes, just work hard. Don't expect to get in though, to avoid disappointment. About 15 applied to Cambridge from my college, all with A's and A*'s at GCSE and A's at AS, I believe. Most got an interview, but only two got offers. One of them got 10A*'s at GCSE and is predicted like A*A*AA or something for A- Level.
Reply 24
BE2506
Yes, just work hard. Don't expect to get in though, to avoid disappointment. About 15 applied to Cambridge from my college, all with A's and A*'s at GCSE and A's at AS, I believe. Most got an interview, but only two got offers. One of them got 10A*'s at GCSE and is predicted like A*A*AA or something for A- Level.

Yeah, figures, a friend of mine was in a similar situation and she got rejected, I'll just have to have an incredible interview if I want to stand a chance! last year though, only 1/6 of philosophy applicants were accepted, I think I need to show my dedication to the subject! Although, I think I may be the only person applying from my college this year, maybe there is someone else but i'm really not sure. It's not an amazing college, to be honest, though that's perhaps more because of the students than the teachers, who knows.
Reply 25
Lyam
Yeah, figures, a friend of mine was in a similar situation and she got rejected, I'll just have to have an incredible interview if I want to stand a chance! last year though, only 1/6 of philosophy applicants were accepted, I think I need to show my dedication to the subject! Although, I think I may be the only person applying from my college this year, maybe there is someone else but i'm really not sure. It's not an amazing college, to be honest, though that's perhaps more because of the students than the teachers, who knows.

Well best of luck :smile:.
I applied to Oxford, just out of curiosity, and got rejected. I am glad I applied though, it is always good knowing, rather than always wondering "what if". The way I though of it was if you try hard, you will stand a chance, but if you don't get in, you have always got many more doors open from trying harder.
Reply 26
BE2506
Well best of luck :smile:.
I applied to Oxford, just out of curiosity, and got rejected. I am glad I applied though, it is always good knowing, rather than always wondering "what if". The way I though of it was if you try hard, you will stand a chance, but if you don't get in, you have always got many more doors open from trying harder.

Precisely, if I try my hardest, and don't make cambridge, I imagine there will be offers from other good Uni's!

I suspect if I get around the 90 mark in my AS's then they will give me an interview, since my college will push like **** for it in the CSAS, and I meet not one, but all of the criteria for the CSAS haha, so really providing summer goes well, it's down to my interview... :eek3:

Thanks for your time man!
1) Using CSAS will not guarantee an interview, but It cant hurt to use it. If they don't think it's a good enough excuse they just won't - no harm.
2) They will not reject you for those GCSE results at all, if they reject you it will be for a variety of reasons. This said - with decent AS results and/or other parts of your application being strong you should get an interview. From there you have a chance to impress although it is not true that from this point onwards nothing else matters.

If you wan't to apply then apply. The worst than can happen is you are rejected. If you write your CSAS yourself avoid the 'my life is so crap, hence I failed' approach - stick to the facts.

Not having a TV/Internet is a crap thing to try and blame bad GCSE results on though tbh lol.

Good luck.
Lyam
P.s. is this posted in the right place? :P

Yep
Narik
:no: Every place is valuable in medicine. :p:

Aaah I forgot they were applying for medicine - hardly anyone in my school has offers!
Reply 30
paddy__power
LOL.

1) Using CSAS will not guarantee an interview, but It cant hurt to use it. If they don't think it's a good enough excuse they just won't - no harm.
2) They will not reject you for those GCSE results at all, if they reject you it will be for a variety of reasons. This said - with decent AS results and/or other parts of your application being strong you should get an interview. From there you have a chance to impress although it is not true that from this point onwards nothing else matters.

If you wan't to apply then apply. The worst than can happen is you are rejected. If you write your CSAS yourself avoid the 'my life is so crap, hence I failed' approach - stick to the facts.

Not having a TV/Internet is a crap thing to try and blame bad GCSE results on though tbh lol.

Good luck.

Haha I will stick to facts, police reports and the such. My life isnt ****, it's just been disadvantaged. but like I said, since cambridge interviews 95% of people, and I aim to have around, maybe a little lower than Average, ( emphasis on average ) Cambridge results, with a strong personal statement, I'm about 95% sure i'll get an interview! But while I appreciate GCSE results don't count, i'd like to explain to them what happened, rather than them thinking I have a bad work ethic. Don't worry I don't want my college to put me in for the sympathy vote, just an explanation.
Reply 31
Actually, I am going to abruptly take back the ' GCSE's don't count ' part of that statement! :smile:
Reply 32
And in addition, not having Internet was just an example, I missed a lot of school due to having to take care of my mother. I missed a chemistry resit because my stepdad was too drunk to take me, etc etc. I didn't really want to come on here with the sympathy thing, but there's more to it than I posted, I assure you :smile:
Lyam
Actually, I am going to abruptly take back the ' GCSE's don't count ' part of that statement! :smile:

Just have a passion for your subject and get good AS's-then your in with a shout
Reply 34
The Young Economist
Just have a passion for your subject and get good AS's-then your in with a shout

Believe me I do, and hopefully I will. Thanks! :smile:
Lyam
Haha I will stick to facts, police reports and the such. My life isnt ****, it's just been disadvantaged. but like I said, since cambridge interviews 95% of people, and I aim to have around, maybe a little lower than Average, ( emphasis on average ) Cambridge results, with a strong personal statement, I'm about 95% sure i'll get an interview! But while I appreciate GCSE results don't count, i'd like to explain to them what happened, rather than them thinking I have a bad work ethic. Don't worry I don't want my college to put me in for the sympathy vote, just an explanation.

Lol, well if it's what you want to do then go for it.

With those grades, you will get an interview unles you are an idiot. The GCSEs are not that bad. It's when your grades are very bad that you need CSAS/PS/written work to save you from being one of the 5/10% who don't get an interview.
Lyam
And in addition, not having Internet was just an example, I missed a lot of school due to having to take care of my mother. I missed a chemistry resit because my stepdad was too drunk to take me, etc etc. I didn't really want to come on here with the sympathy thing, but there's more to it than I posted, I assure you :smile:

I'm not going to comment with my personal opinions of how valid these examples are, as it's not my place. I'm sure there is more, and If I was you I would only say the major things as silly little things like no internet will (IMO) not do you any favours lol.
Reply 37
miranda-ae
Aaah I forgot they were applying for medicine - hardly anyone in my school has offers!

:yes: It's insanely competitive. :frown:
Reply 38
Okay firstly, I have only just signed up to TSR, I'm no veteran, but i've scanned these forums a million times because they're really useful, so while I know this topic has been created a thousand times, i'm creating it again for my personal reference as none of the topics have truly answered my question.

Okay as the title suggests it's a reference to applying to cambridge this year and what I have (or more importantly don't have!).

Don't judge too quickly but at GCSE I got 3A's 5B's 3C's.

Very low I know but there was a lot of personal reasons, my family is erm, somewhat unconventional and I had to move out a couple weeks before my GCSE's due to my mother having a breakdown, into my stepdads house with no internet/TV etc. My stepdad, while of sound mind, likes to drink and my mother has kind of been a long term drug user (she's stopped now). So cut me a little slack there I could have done way better. This will all go on my Cambridge special access form I imagine, along with a few other incidents which needn't particularly be discussed here, my situation isn't much better now as i'm at my sisters due to certain circumstances.

In the january exams I got the following grades

RS - 81
CT - 86
Phil - 100
Geog - 68 ( resitting, total disaster )

Anywho I realise these grades aren't amazing, but they were among some of the best grades at my college, I never really considered cambridge before but my teachers are pushing for it and at the moment I'm trying to spend a lot of time in the college lirary preparing for the summer exams, in which I want to get around 90% in each, maybe more in philosophy (which is my degree of choice).

I aim over the summer to do a lot of wider reading, particularly regarding analytic philosophy and the books recommended on the CAM site, as well as that I have set up a debating society at college and am applying for volunteer work over the summer

I know a lot of it will come down to my interview but what I really wanted to ask is, how sympathetic will they be to my circumstances? I've read people who've had worse (ill for 18 months and so on). I go to a college which doesn't send a great deal of people to FE, none of my grandparents/parents went to FE, and the circumstances above!

Sorry for the essay! I'd massively appreciate any responses and thankyou for your time!

P.s. I posted this elsewhere earlier and was told off haha, so if you've already seen this post somewhere sorry! I'm kinda new! :smile:
you will have to write down on CSAS about ur extenuating circumstances, cambridge judges everyone as an individual, so try and give them as much info as possible. ive recieved an offer this year at trinity hall for PPS, i didnt have spectacular gcses or a levels, bt these are judged in the context of ur school, i like yourself came top of my college, i had this put in my p.s and references,hope u apply best of luck!

Latest

Trending

Trending