The Student Room Group

What's the One Thing they don't tell you to pack...

Scroll to see replies

A mattress topper or if you can run to it, a decent mattress. Unless, of course, you prefer a very hard bed or have indeed, become accustomed to the feel of a solid floor beneath your bones!
does it cost u money to wash and dry ur clothes?! or is it part of the rent??
Air fresheners, be it spray... or those cool AirWick ones you plug into the wall. From my experience of staying at friends'/boyfriends' halls, there's always someone who doesn't shower...
Reply 343
Photos of your friends from home to put on your pinboard. And pins of course.
Original post by samanthaofficer
I cant wait for September so I'm amusing myself with "What to take to Uni lists".

But .... Just for a laugh

Whats the One thing they DONT tell you you'll need ....

And like on a looong holiday when you forget that one very important thing !!

Be at your funniest.

- Knowledge of how to survive without your parents.
- The ability to not have hangovers.
- More money than you ever thought you'd need.
- Plenty of bins or bags around your room after hungover nights out.
- Food. It sounds stupid but on the weekly shop you just never seem to buy enough.

To be honest, there's a lot.
Thread bump for relevance.
1. Stick on wall hangers (there never seems to be enough hanging space).

2. Pins and tape for the board

3. Plastic bags unless u wanna pay during your weekly. Which u won't

4. Collection of £1 coins and 50p for laundry

5. Laundry tablets. Powder ****s the machine

6. Amazon prime and a tv (personal preference) also if u don't get watch live programmes no need for a license. My halls are yet to even check

7. More than one set of bed sheets

8. **** loads of underwear (u are gonna wanna stretch out ur laundry for as long as possible) no need for dirty nik naks

9. Drying rack for those bits your scared to tumble

10. Multiple chargers your screwed if one breaks
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm moving to Scotland from Ireland , anything I might need?😂😂
Speaking from what happened last night.... A Torch and candles for when someone blows the fuse and theres a power cut...we learnt that the hard way last night
Original post by Caoimhe606
I'm moving to Scotland from Ireland , anything I might need?😂😂

Be prepared to miss tayto crisps a lot (unless you're lucky like me and have a tesco which has started to stock them recently!)

I also find the water in Scotland disgusting so a water bottle that filters is a good call.
The person who made this thread has probably finished university by now.
Original post by Airmed
Be prepared to miss tayto crisps a lot (unless you're lucky like me and have a tesco which has started to stock them recently!)

I also find the water in Scotland disgusting so a water bottle that filters is a good call.

Just like anywhere else, it depends on the area not the country!
Original post by Treen98
Just like anywhere else, it depends on the area not the country!

I don't like it in Dundee or Glasgow. I find it fine in Ireland, north or south, and they put more fluoride in the Republic's water.
Original post by Airmed
I don't like it in Dundee or Glasgow. I find it fine in Ireland, north or south, and they put more fluoride in the Republic's water.

Its fab in the highlands though and not too bad in Ayrshire either :tongue:; not a fan of edi admittedly
Original post by Airmed

Thank you :smile: gonna miss Tayto sandwiches for sure 😂
gotta bring my swag, thats important
Original post by Sandy Bell
does it cost u money to wash and dry ur clothes?! or is it part of the rent??

Costs the average student £70 a term to wash clothing. So, around £2.50-3 a wash.
Original post by DominF
A guitar. You want to be the one who plays guitar.

So anyway, here's wanderwall...
For moving in day take just one roll of toilet paper in the car! I drove for hours, got to my room and realised I couldn't go for a wee after a long car ride because we forgot to bring loo roll in the car and decided to do grocery shopping after we unpacked. Oh and take teabags, otherwise your mother will be complaining how she drove you all the way and she's spitting feathers because she can't have a cuppa.
Reply 359
Original post by linkdapink
A bottle opener with a corkscrew on it. There will always be a time when someone buys a wine bottle with a cork on it, rather than a screw top, and you'll be going round room to room trying to find one!

Boxes. Underbed boxes. Any kind of box! You'll have little space, so finding places for everything is key.

If you're in HALLS and have a communal kitchen between like 15 or something (we did, but were catered), then get a mini fridge. I had an entire packet of philadelphia go missing in freshers week, and was forever losing milk/butter/etc. Also, I did my own washing up in my little room sink, because the one in halls was always minging... so bring your own plastic wash basin (also useful for when you don't reach the toilet... and it would have come in handy that time I threw up in my sink, but it wouldn't go.... EWWWW)

What is maximum size of mini fridge do you think?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending