The Student Room Group

Advice Needed re: English re-mark

Hi,
I want some advice from you guys... I got my AS English Literature results today and got an A overall (just). For my coursework I got 77/90 and for Texts in Context I got 120/120. Yet, for the modern novel I got 45/90 - which is only just a D yet I got a high B in my mock.

I have asked two English friends so far, and one got 63/90 for her coursework, 81/120 for texts in context and 11/90 for the same unit as me! Another got 36/90 when she got 99/120 for texts in context.

Do you suspect too there is a problem with the marking for the unit: The Modern Novel? My friend was a GCSE A student, who is good at English and considering 36 is an E, 11 is just...

Any help much appreciated,
Thanks
This sounds very similar to what happened to me in history. I got a mid B overall after getting 71/90 (high A) on Unit 1, 50/90 (mid D) on Unit 2 and 79/90 (high A) on Unit 3. I asked around and it turned out no-one got an A and practically everyone had done far worse than expected on that unit. One guy got 7/90!!! :eek: I thought that would be my best mark as I felt really good about the exam, so I think I'll ask for my paper back and then have it remarked if my teachers think it's dodgy. Maybe you should do the same with English lit.
Reply 2
It's possible that there has been an exam cock-up (if you're all in the same school, maybe they all got sent to the same examiner) or perhaps that unit wasn't taught very well, or the questions that had been asked weren't ones that had been covered in class?

What book did you do for modern novel?
Reply 3
You could ask for a remark but if you get marked down lower you have to take the lower mark I think. But i'm guessing if you are resitting that anyway it won't matter its up to you do you think you would resit it?
Reply 4
We did "The Handmaid's Tale" and I felt quite confident in my response. A word of warning, apparently if you request them back they will not accept them to be re-marked...
Trundle
We did "The Handmaid's Tale" and I felt quite confident in my response. A word of warning, apparently if you request them back they will not accept them to be re-marked...

But that's stupid! If you request them back, your teachers can see whether you actually did screw up or whether it was dodgy marking, so it saves them time because if you realise it was you, you can just resit and they won't have to remark it. Oh well, I can find out about all this in September.....
Reply 6
There's either some problem with the marker or you didn't get taught it well. I think there's been some problem with OCR D&T as I do the Graphics option under it got D at AS, U at A2, so E overall. So we're going to talk to my head of sixthform about it tomorrow. I suggest you do the same about yours.
Reply 7
kellywood_5
But that's stupid! If you request them back, your teachers can see whether you actually did screw up or whether it was dodgy marking, so it saves them time because if you realise it was you, you can just resit and they won't have to remark it. Oh well, I can find out about all this in September.....

My Head of 6th said it is something to do with the fact they could be tampered with... sounds bizarre I know, but take into consideration some of the lengths people will go to for good exam results.
Reply 8
Trundle
Hi,
I want some advice from you guys... I got my AS English Literature results today and got an A overall (just). For my coursework I got 77/90 and for Texts in Context I got 120/120. Yet, for the modern novel I got 45/90 - which is only just a D yet I got a high B in my mock.

I have asked two English friends so far, and one got 63/90 for her coursework, 81/120 for texts in context and 11/90 for the same unit as me! Another got 36/90 when she got 99/120 for texts in context.

Do you suspect too there is a problem with the marking for the unit: The Modern Novel? My friend was a GCSE A student, who is good at English and considering 36 is an E, 11 is just...

Any help much appreciated,
Thanks

This happened to one of my friends for the same module - i'd advise to get it remarked as i seem to remember theirs went up at least two grades.
kellywood_5
This sounds very similar to what happened to me in history. I got a mid B overall after getting 71/90 (high A) on Unit 1, 50/90 (mid D) on Unit 2 and 79/90 (high A) on Unit 3. I asked around and it turned out no-one got an A and practically everyone had done far worse than expected on that unit. One guy got 7/90!!! :eek: I thought that would be my best mark as I felt really good about the exam, so I think I'll ask for my paper back and then have it remarked if my teachers think it's dodgy. Maybe you should do the same with English lit.

Shouldn't one of those be out of 120, also 71/90 isn't a high A, it might even be the highest B there is instead....

Anyway, I got 45/90 in that module, something fishy going on?
kellywood_5

No, you can request a copy of your paper. We did that. They send a photocopy, at a charge of £7.00, and then you can ask for a remark. We did that for one of my AS Biology papers.
Reply 11
tis_me_lord
Shouldn't one of those be out of 120, also 71/90 isn't a high A, it might even be the highest B there is instead....

You're right. Unit 1 is out of 120 not 90, and 71/90 constitutes a B, whereas 71/120 is a D.

I managed 54/90 for Unit 3 - compared to 101/120 and 82/90 on Units 1 & 2. Luckily I can retake that module as coursework. :cool: :smile:
Reply 12
froggymills
No, you can request a copy of your paper. We did that. They send a photocopy, at a charge of £7.00, and then you can ask for a remark. We did that for one of my AS Biology papers.

Yeah, if you get a copy then you can have a remark.
Reply 13
you can awlays try for a re-mark but i did aqa as english lit last year and in the modern novel everybody did badly,the teacher sent them off for re-marks but learnt that it was just a harshly marked module and generally people dont do well in it, but the stupid examiners havent even learnt its not the students, its their markin!!!!!. by the way, nobody went up
tis_me_lord

Oops sorry, I meant 91/120 as a high B, not 71/90! Duh lol :redface: It's been a long day.....

Latest