The Student Room Group

what on earth is a 'Caution' from 'National Rail'

Scroll to see replies

'jobsworth inspectors' who are entitled by law to your correct details and to 'caution you' that that are reporting you for consideration for prosecution in relation to the offence ...

railway ticketing offences are criminal rather than civil ... and designated TOC/ NR staff can report ...
sam188
I was read my rights, but this wa not a poilce caution. I asked the inspector and he said it wasnt. I think it jsut means, that there is a possibility it will go to court. I just wana know how much im guna have to pay.

it is a PACE caution , designated railway staff, Environmental Health Officers, and HSE inspectors are just some of the 'civilians' who can caution and in certain circumstances conduct PACE interviews.

You have been reported for the consideration of a criminal prosecution
Reply 42
Sounds to me like you got an MG11 I'm afraid, which is an evidence document for if you get summoned to court. Bear in mind fare evasion is a criminal and not civil offence.
Reply 43
swlines
Sounds to me like you got an MG11 I'm afraid, which is an evidence document for if you get summoned to court. Bear in mind fare evasion is a criminal and not civil offence.

all over a quid- i very much doubt they would prosecute, or for even initially giving them the wrong details. If they do they're sad as ****.
Reply 44
sam188
all over a quid- i very much doubt they would prosecute, or for even initially giving them the wrong details. If they do they're sad as ****.

Perhaps not if you had given the correct details in the first place... depends how the powers that be view that :s-smilie:
Do you know why they're called jobsworths? Because if they don't do what they have done to you, it's more than their job's worth. As in, they will lose their job.
Giving them the wrong details is fraud, no matter how you try to put it, and that is a criminal offence. You could have just paid the fine, or the extra for the full ticket, but you had to be difficult.
Basically OP, you're a tool. You got what you deserved.
sam188
Was this an attempt at being funny? It was quite funny, but not very...

btw i didnt get a penalty fine. i was about to then the smug idiot decided to change his mind and give me a caution, which as my title suggests, i have no indication off its meaning.

No! It's genuine!
They put the person's name, road name and area, and a lot of people who get my morning train are often getting penalty fares
Never heard of a caution before though he must have liked you :smile:
Reply 47
rougelipstick
No! It's genuine!
They put the person's name, road name and area, and a lot of people who get my morning train are often getting penalty fares
Never heard of a caution before though he must have liked you :smile:

I don't believe you. Like anyone would ******* care. If anything it would be an incentive to get a penalty imo. Anyway the general consensus is that these nobodies enjoy waisting peoples time, and don't even bother with any follow up.
So to be honest they can screw themselves. :yes:
Reply 48
sam188
i very much doubt they would prosecute

I wouldn't be so sure.

If we are referring to South West Trains, it's highly likely they will. Other operators I don't know about as much - but I think around 90% of the MG11s I know about have been followed up, rest were dealt with out of court by revenue protection.
swlines
I wouldn't be so sure.

If we are referring to South West Trains, it's highly likely they will. Other operators I don't know about as much - but I think around 90% of the MG11s I know about have been followed up, rest were dealt with out of court by revenue protection.

:ditto: the fine is normally about 20x the fare.
Giving the wrong details is breaking a railway byelaw, even if you lie about everything else, give the correct details.
Reply 51
I think it's stupid. I forgot my railcard one time and I had to pay a hefty £110 fine I think it was.. because they couldn't validate my card for the £40 for the new ticket :rolleyes:
This morning I was given a caution for

Quick Reply

Latest