The Student Room Group

En Suite or Shared Bathrooms?

Scroll to see replies

py0alb
well yes this is true. I can't speak for the condition of every ensuite room in every uni, but I can attempt to debunk the myth that sharing a bathroom is likely to be bad.

I've been to three different unis, and have lived in halls sharing a bathroom at each, and there have never been any problems whatsover.

I can't say the same thing about bathrooms in shared houses.:p:

Yup i agree :smile: I guess we've reached a mutual understanding:p:
fourdigit
The only bad things are the people who you are living with and how do you know that. Surprise... you don't... hence university likes to take every money off students to go for en-suites. Majority of people who end up in en-suites thought it wasn't needed for the extra money.

Its all up to your preference and your lifestyle. How long you spend in bathroom? Do you take showers every morning? Can you live without one? Can you go to lecture without taking a shower? etc.

Just for interest really, I chose non en-suite and yeah it is ok. I shower every morning and toilet every day obviously. No major problems really, apart from one girls hair doesnt stay on her head in the shower and blocks up the plug.
Pickford
Just for interest really, I chose non en-suite and yeah it is ok. I shower every morning and toilet every day obviously. No major problems really, apart from one girls hair doesnt stay on her head in the shower and blocks up the plug.

we have the same problem however 4 girls block up the plug, we have a filter, do you guys have that too? hopefully that'll stop the problem from hiring a plumber for basic job.
To all those that wondered how you make friends in a shared bathroom:

The showers were two cubicles next to each other, so if you and a friend were showering at the same time, you'd have a chat whilst washing your hair etc.
And the whole thing of people walking up and down the corridor more often, so if you left your door open you'd get people popping in.

Thats not so weird is it?
Reply 184
Miss_Rachel
To all those that wondered how you make friends in a shared bathroom:

The showers were two cubicles next to each other, so if you and a friend were showering at the same time, you'd have a chat whilst washing your hair etc.
And the whole thing of people walking up and down the corridor more often, so if you left your door open you'd get people popping in.

Thats not so weird is it?

That part is a little bit weird :p:
Ruskii
That part is a little bit weird :p:

Why? There were 14 of us on our corridor and we all did it, usually asked people if they fancied a shower at the same time too. Not like we could see each other naked or anything.
Reply 186
Miss_Rachel
Why? There were 14 of us on our corridor and we all did it, usually asked people if they fancied a shower at the same time too. Not like we could see each other naked or anything.

Shower time is private time for me - which is why I find it really odd to just be chatting away to someone while you wash yourself :p:
Ruskii
Shower time is private time for me - which is why I find it really odd to just be chatting away to someone while you wash yourself :p:

"Private time" eh? :p:
I tend to get a bit bored in the shower. Miss having shower buddies tbh. Especially getting ready for the night out singing in the shower with a friend!
Reply 188
Miss_Rachel
"Private time" eh? :p:
I tend to get a bit bored in the shower. Miss having shower buddies tbh. Especially getting ready for the night out singing in the shower with a friend!

Not that kind of private time! :p:

I mean a little escape from people for 15 or so minutes - I can relax without anyone disrupting me (I live in a hectic house!)
fourdigit
we have the same problem however 4 girls block up the plug, we have a filter, do you guys have that too? hopefully that'll stop the problem from hiring a plumber for basic job.

It all stays on top, it's a kind of filter but not removeable. The unlucky cleaner has to clear it every week, lol.
Pickford
It all stays on top, it's a kind of filter but not removeable. The unlucky cleaner has to clear it every week, lol.

hmm, surely must be removable if the cleaners has to unplug hair out of it. Just a thought.

glad you guys dont have to clean it.
Basically I want some response from people living in uni halls.. Is half a grand worth it for an en-suite?
I had a sink in my room, and in retrospect, im very glad i wasnt in ensuite. I initialy applied for ensuite but didnt get it.
I don't live in Halls anymore but I did for 3 out of the 4 years I was at Uni.

The answer is Yes.
Pickford

OMG tell me about it. I go through about 10 pairs of chopsticks a month trying to fish my sister hairs out of the plug.
it's not that bad if you don't want to bear the risk of sharing a toilet with 4-5 lads who come in drunk and piss with reckless abandon.
Reply 196
Definitely. I've experienced both and I'd definitely say en-suite is the better choice. Especially if you've got other bloke flatmates, trust me, it's can be a very messy situation otherwise!
Reply 197
Can very well be worth if you have the money to spear. Do bear in mind that it can be the case that you are on the same floor as a common room where 20+ people will gather every weekend get drunk and make a mess around, including the bathroom. As is in my case. Its just one less thing to worry about. I am however lucky that my hall mates on my floor do not make a mess in the shared areas (their rooms as is is mine, is another story altogether).
Reply 198
I had ensuite in my 1st year, then shared bathrooms in 2nd and 3rd years.
I was lucky that my floormates were reasonably clean, so it wasn't too bad as the shared bathrooms are cleaned every weekday. But since it's not cleaned on weekends, it can start to smell a little by Sunday evening.
Also, it's a hassle to carry all your shower stuff (shampoo, soap, towels, etc...) back and forth from your room every time. And if you don't have a sink in your room, your toothbrush & toothpaste.

If you have money to spare, I'll definitely take ensuite. But I'll say it's not really necessary or worth it. Probably better to just get a room with a sink and share the bathroom.
Ensuite usually have a shower and a toilet and sink. It may be a shower over a bath in some accom.

It isn't actually so bad sharing shower/toilet. In the first year, our accom had 12 people living there and had 3 bathrooms. It was fine! (and this is coming from me, who had ensuite at HOME and never even shared with family members, so yeah, it's fine! )

Plus, in shared accom, the bathrooms will be cleaned daily by cleaners, as will the kitchens etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending