The Student Room Group

En Suite or Shared Bathrooms?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ruffiio
If I make it to university I'm going to sneak out at night to the en-suite accommodation houses and take a dump in one of the showers. Soon enough everyone who has an en-suite will sleep in fear of waking up in the morning with excrement in their showers or on the bathroom floor. :ninja:

I;d rather have more money than en-suite, more food damn right.

Good luck getting into the building, through the flat door and into the bedroom in order to access said showers. :wink:

From what I've seen the halls more likely to be lacking on security are the cheaper non-ensuite halls, so it's much more likely the ensuite people will be able to sneak into the non-ensuite halls and take dumps in their showers in the middle of the night. Especially ones that are set out like traditional halls with all rooms off the corridor rather than split into flats.
Original post by andy12691
Come on, you're student going to university, not some sorts of luxury vacation, get a normal room and you will have 40 quids to spend on a lot of things. Unless you have an illness or something, I don't see the reasons why we need an en-suite.

It's all a luxury man, it's all good.
En suite, I have a shower everyday in the morning and I wouldn't want to wait in a line for everyone else to finish up in there.
I applied for en-suite and got shared. :frown: Its an all-female flat so i hope i get hygiene conscious flatmates.
Original post by ranbow99
For people that want ensuites and say they don't want to share bathrooms and find it disgusting etc, just wondering what are you going to do in 2nd year when most people move out of halls and go into a house?

I understand that you will be sharing with friends in 2nd year, but tbh it's not that much different from sharing with people in your first year (and halls will probably be kept cleaner, as usually cleaners come every 2-4 days, whereas you don't get that in student houses)

You can choose to live with people who seem like clean/considerate people and a bit more mature in 2nd year so I think there is perhaps some difference. Again, this might depend on how many showers: people there are in your accommodation too. In 2nd year we have arranged that everyone cleans up after themselves, and all living areas get cleaned every week on a rota basis. In first year I struggled to motivate my flatmates to clean mould off the work surfaces....

I went ensuite and enjoyed it a lot. I was lucky to get it as there were fewer ensuite places.
Original post by SilverstarDJ
You can choose to live with people who seem like clean/considerate people and a bit more mature in 2nd year so I think there is perhaps some difference. Again, this might depend on how many showers: people there are in your accommodation too. In 2nd year we have arranged that everyone cleans up after themselves, and all living areas get cleaned every week on a rota basis. In first year I struggled to motivate my flatmates to clean mould off the work surfaces....

I went ensuite and enjoyed it a lot. I was lucky to get it as there were fewer ensuite places.

But having cleaners in every few days makes a huge difference in first year, in my experience you only realise actually how clean someone is until you take away the uni cleaners in 2nd year.

Tbf most people are going to have to share a house/flat with someone who isn't the cleanest person at some point in their lives. I think it's nice to have an ensuite but the kinds of people who say they can't live without an ensuite I think just need to get over themselves.
I have currently been allocated a large single study but i'm on the waiting list for ensuite accommodation and i'm very high up so chances are that if I want to change, i'll be able to.

But basically i'm going to have a larger bed, bigger wardrobe, more personal room space and if I choose to go ensuite I have to downsize my room and pay an added £1,000... I really don't think it will be worth it.

My only worry is how many people I will share the facilities with, and I also have an overactive bladder so go to the toilet 2/3 times in the night which could be a pain. Does anyone have any insight? :smile:
Reply 627
I personally could not share a bathroom.. I was contemplating it when I had my heart set of University of Essex and was looking at the extremely cheap tower block halls (oh, the extra money I could have had!), but thinking about it I don't think I would have liked it. Firstly I have stupid amounts of expensive hair and shower products I wouldn't want to leave lying around for people to nick, or otherwise lug back and forth between my room and the bathroom. Secondly I like to spend a long time chilling in the shower or on the bog and would probably get annoyed having people bang on the door wanting me to get out so they can go in. Thirdly if no one bothered to clean up after themselves it'd be gross, imagine going in to brush your teeth in the morning and coming face to face with a sink coated in sick from the night before, or trying to take a shower covered in hairs from who-knows-where. Yep, I'm glad the student court @ Wembley (Uni of Westminster), where I will now be staying, has en-suites anyway - no choice. I think had I gone for Essex I would definitely have ended up going for my own bathroom, to me the extra spendage would have been worth it.
Went for ensuite in first year, going back into halls for final year & after reading this thread I've just changed up my application to shared (save £1,300 overall) :h: now let's hope I get it.
Original post by James4d
Just wondering. En suite rooms seem to be around 40 quid a week more than the basic rooms- is it worth it, or better to keep an extra 40 a week?

Depends, do you mind sharing things in general?

Quick Reply

Latest