The Student Room Group

Whats easier: social influence or social cognition. and questions for OCR people. rep

Hi, I am doing psychology AQA(B).

Just got one more chapter left to do. Looked through them both and can't decide what one I want to do.

Next year I am changing boards and doing OCR, does anything on here overlap?

I've had a look at the OCR specification. There's sports psychology, forensic, child and something else (of the top of my head). What social influence compliment sport psychology?

Anyone else done these, what one would you say is easier/better for me to do.

Thanks.

EDIT: the spec is

Social influence

Social facilitation, dominant responses, causes of arousal: evaluation apprehension and distraction. Effects of arousal on task performance.

Types of conformity, including internalisation and compliance

Explanations for conformity, including informational social influence and normtive social influence

Factors affecting conformity, including those investigated by Asch

Explanations of obedience

Situational factors: conditions affecting obedience to the authoeity as investigated by Milgram

Dispositional explanation: the Authoritarian Personality

Explanations of the defiance of authority

Ethical and methodological issues in studying social influence

Social cognition

Factors affecting impression formation, including social schemas, primacy effect and recency effects, central traits and stereotyping.

Concept of attribution: dispositional and situational attributions; attributional biases, including the fundamental attribution error, the actor-observer effect and self-serving bias.

The structure and function of attitudes: cognitive affective and behavioural components; adaptive, knowledge and ego-expressive functions.

Explanations of prejudice, including competition for resources, social identity theory and the Authoritatian Personality

Reply 1
bump(?)
I'm doing AQA(A) but we've done social influence. The stuff from the B spec looks quite similar what we covered, i.e. Asch, types of conformity, etc. For me I found social influence relatively easy b/c even though there were a lot of studies to learn, it was so easy to remember and apply to real life. Not much theory work imo, it's pretty straightforward stuff. I haven't done social cognition though. Hope I helped... sort of.

Latest

Trending

Trending