The Student Room Group

Anyone Else Hate The Nhs!?

It keeps people waiting for months after months after months after month after months after month after months after month after months........:blah: The GPs are mostly too reluctant to treat patients (well the ones I know anyway!)

Edit: Fine its not that bad....but it still needs big time improvement...I cant say that I have been happy with their service though. Depends on each indivitual and how they've been treated.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes, the waiting list is long, but at least you're being treated. :lolwut: It can certainly improve, but I wouldn't go as far as hating free healthcare.
Reply 2
It's not perfect by any stretch of the imagination but at least it's free...
I've seen examples of how much private healthcare costs in the USA and other countries- there's no way my family would be able to afford that.
Reply 3
Seriously, people like you don't deserve free healthcare.
Reply 4
In many other countries, if you fall ill and you don't have any health insurance or enough money to pay for private medical care - you stand very little chance.

The healthcare system in this country may not always be absolutely perfect, but a lot of people forget that we are incredibly privileged to have such a service.
Yes, waiting for hospital appointments and things is a little annoying, but at least it's free so I ain't complaining.
God bless the NHS!

People love to moan about it, but I'd like to see them (the overwhelming majority) pay for private healthcare.
Reply 7
I can understand your frustration OP and to everyone whose gonna complain back at her I'd just like to say that they aren't always helpful and sometimes they refuse to treat you. I had a nevous breakdown in 2007 and I got kicked off the help list in the end when I was at the lowest of the low. I'm not happy about that.

On the other hand I'm grateful for what they offer even if they haven't been that great. It's free and they're alright sometimes.
Hate the NHS? No. I fully believe in the principle and ethos of medical care, free at the point of delivery, irrespective of ability to pay.

On the other hand, I hate the amount of damage that the NHS has done to me and resent the fact that my parents had to pay thousands of pounds to have as much of the damage as possible corrected privately...the NHS refused because the damage they did wasn't 'life threatening'.
Not at all. I know it's not perfect, but I believe that everyone has the right to access health care, irrespective of their ability to pay for it.
I Love the NHS.
If you hate it so much go private.
Grr, really annoys me when people complain.
No, I've always got appointments so quick. NHS is awesome to me.
Reply 12
gtfo and go to the USA, then say how crappy the NHS is <_<
surely it's better than nothing!! if waiting bothers you that much you can go private!! and if you complain that you can't afford private then you would be nowhere without the nhs!!
Reply 14
Go private then u beep! No one wants to hear u moaning about something we are so so priveleged to have!! Seriously... get real some people have nothing!!!
It's better than having no Nhs!
Yes, it sucks..but what you do? :confused:
Reply 16
The nhs is probably one of the best things this country has.
Reply 17
Watch the film SiCKO by Michael Moore. It is a documentary about the US healthcare system. After watching it you will find it very difficult to complain about the NHS ever again.

Having been in hospital many times, I can tell you that the NHS is great. I rarely have to wait to see a doctor, and if I need medicine, it could cost the NHS £10 or £10,000, but I will only ever pay £7 for it (I believe the current price is around £7). However, as I am in education, I don't pay anything.

Private healthcare does not cost a huge amount and many large companies give it to their employees and their families anyway. It is good, but unnecessary. The NHS is one of the few things that Britain does right. Stop complaining about it.
Love the idea of a healthcare system accessible to ALL.
Hate the NHS. First off it's not 'free', it's funded by the taxpayer so the only people who can really say it's free are those who don't pay tax.

Also I think the attitude of people in this country is pathetic how they say 'it's great because it's free', since when does the price of health care determine how good it is in actually dealing with patients? A person is severely ill but the NHS isn't working effectively...but it's okay, because it's free :borat:

No :dry:
The NHS is ranked to be the 18th best (or worst) health care system in Europe by the euro health consumer index. I think it's something like 25th in the world, and for a country as supposedly 'prosperous' as the UK that's disgraceful.

So many European countries have 'free' health care systems and wipe the floor with the NHS, so yes although I think it's imperative to have a system that's available to everybody I think the NHS itself is absolute rubbish. British people are so stingy when it comes to spending money anyway, I mean sure it's great for people who don't have the financial capacity but would most people really prioritise the cost over their health? I certainly wouldn't care how much it would cost if I had to be treated the best way possible then I sure as hell will spend it.

I've got many family members/relatives that have been ill and were treated so poorly by the NHS that they turned to private health care even though they couldn't actually afford it but made ends meet...in the end it was worth it because they actually were treated.

I guess this is the government's fault though for not providing enough funding to the NHS and make it as good as it can be (which should be at least in the top 5 of europe).

Also saying it's a 'privilege' by comparing it to USA etc. is laughable, if we'll do that then we may as well do the same with clean water and food by comparing it to african countries. In europe a free health care system is virtually a must, just about all of them have it and they're much better. People are have such poor standards in this country its disgusting.
No the NHS is awesome
It's quite quick to get a referral, the doctors are well trained, prescriptions are the same price no matter what the medicine and it's free!

go tell someone without any health insurance/provision this and they'll tell you how lucky you are

Latest

Trending

Trending