The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
CasterTroy
Very pretentious to wear a jumper with "Oxford University" across it, especially out of town, but college wear is alright. Tends to be quite subtle too, with just the badge revealing that try-hard nature of the person it covers.

Oh please. I have a college hoody because it's comfortable and I'm proud of being part of my college. I don't have a "try hard nature"- if I did, I'd get a Christ Church or Magdalen hoody instead and try hard to pretend I belong to there because they're more famous :rolleyes:
F. Poste
Oh please. I have a college hoody because it's comfortable and I'm proud of being part of my college. I don't have a "try hard nature"- if I did, I'd get a Christ Church or Magdalen hoody instead and try hard to pretend I belong to there because they're more famous :rolleyes:

Somerville's still nicer though :biggrin:
Reply 22
Helenia

...I'd never wear a Cam jumper, unless it was Blues stash (so, erm, NEVER!)...

potentially another 4 years - am on a mission to take up an obscure blues (hell, even half blue would do!) sport & nab some.. :p:

otherwise - i have a college scarf, i lost mine & they are rather warm. + it's monochrome, so i don't think it's exactly unstylish or clashes with much. if i had nasty college colours i would have thought twice! orange & burgundy? blurrgh..who is that?!

then it's just some sports stash - including one with 'CAPTAIN' in whopping great letters on the back..muhaha.. wearing that other than in sport is pretentious i know, but it's very warm! :biggrin:

*reads Kate's post.. considers lucrative hoody 're-allocation' scam.. *
Reply 23
F. Poste

Very pretentious reply.
Reply 24
look all retro and cool
Reply 25
i have a sky-blue hoodie with "university of manchester" in huge black capital letters on the front :redface: but i love it. its so warm and i think they are cute. i tend to wear it more at home than at uni though. i saw a load of girls get off the train wearing burgundy uni of sussex ones that were horrible, the colour was very off, mine is far better. but i think they are cool, whatever uni you go to, show it with pride. i think i'll still be wearing mine when im 34.

ive always wanted a Cornell t shirt for some reason. i used to have a t shirt that said "universidade de Sao paulo" as well but ive never been there.
Reply 26
CasterTroy
Very pretentious reply.

I'm willing to bet that whatever I'd have said, you'd have claimed it was pretentious, because I go to Oxford. I've had enough prejudice and snobbery levelled at me because of the uni I go to. My friends at home who go to Bath Spa and St Mary's College and Buckinghamshire Chilterns and other unis never seem to get routinely abused as soon as they mention what uni they go to. It's funny how everyone seems to think they know who I am because I go to Oxford. Funnily enough, my friends at other unis never seem to get judged because of their university, and I don't see why I should be singled out, labelled and prejudiced against when I personally have never made assumptions about someone's character or intelligence because of what uni they go to.
Reply 27
uni merch makes me want to be sick urgh. i'm going to disown anyone i know who ponces round in a uni hoodie. do you people not realize how crap you look? ever wondered why fashion students don't wear uni merch? uni merch should go in a big bin with sportswear and puffer jackets.
Reply 28
and yeah it is only for people who want to show off about which uni they go to. ok so your hoodie is 'warm' and 'comfy' but point me in the direction of a hoodie that isn't.
Reply 29
tate
uni merch makes me want to be sick urgh. i'm going to disown anyone i know who ponces round in a uni hoodie. do you people not realize how crap you look? ever wondered why fashion students don't wear uni merch? uni merch should go in a big bin with sportswear and puffer jackets.

? what about if you want to do sports? :rolleyes:
I wanna buy a Leeds uni hoodie/sweat shirt, but i'd only prolly wear it when I come back home to show off to my mates haha :smile:
Reply 31
afireinside©
I wanna buy a Leeds uni hoodie/sweat shirt, but i'd only prolly wear it when I come back home to show off to my mates haha :smile:

I bet no-one's going to attack you about that, because you're going to Leeds. If you were going to Oxford on the other hand, you'd be hung drawn and quartered because everyone's determined to prove that Oxford students are all show-offs and pretentious and stuck up :mad:
Reply 32
kikzen
? what about if you want to do sports? :rolleyes:

i ment sportswear as a fashion item. spotswear for sport is fine, thats what its for.
F. Poste
I bet no-one's going to attack you about that, because you're going to Leeds. If you were going to Oxford on the other hand, you'd be hung drawn and quartered because everyone's determined to prove that Oxford students are all show-offs and pretentious and stuck up :mad:

Hehe, I agree with you there.
However, i'd be proud to go to Oxford (although I personally wouldn't want to go there!) and wouldn't let it stop me buying a sweater/hoody because of people wanting to have a go at me for it!
Reply 34
F. Poste

please stop complaining. you make it sound like its the end of the world or something; but its just a minor annoyance really :smile:
Reply 35
F. Poste

well then either don't wear uni merch or don't go to oxford. simple as lol
Reply 36
I might get myself a Notts one, just to look like I'm showing off.
Reply 37
Jump
I might get myself a Notts one, just to look like I'm showing off.

haha be prepared, if i see you round town, i will laugh lol
Reply 38
kikzen
please stop complaining. you make it sound like its the end of the world or something; but its just a minor annoyance really :smile:

I'm not in the best of moods tonight, so apologies if I'm labouring my point too much. However, with all due respect, I get tired of people making assumptions about me all the time because I go to Oxford (and believe me, it IS all the time), and I get tired of people thinking it's a legitimate prejudice when it's really a prejudice like any other. I wish people would make up their own minds about me rather than assuming I'm some pretentious show-off. If that opinion is "she's a moany cow" then that's their perogative, because it's at least got a basis :wink:
Reply 39
tate
haha be prepared, if i see you round town, i will laugh lol

go for it. :smile:

Latest