The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
F. Poste
I'm not in the best of moods tonight, so apologies if I'm labouring my point too much. However, with all due respect, I get tired of people making assumptions about me all the time because I go to Oxford (and believe me, it IS all the time), and I get tired of people thinking it's a legitimate prejudice when it's really a prejudice like any other. I wish people would make up their own minds about me rather than assuming I'm some pretentious show-off. If that opinion is "she's a moany cow" then that's their perogative, because it's at least got a basis :wink:

But despite all the assumptions, I bet you wouldn't have it any other way. So be happy :smile:
Reply 41
tate
well then either don't wear uni merch or don't go to oxford. simple as lol

Too late on the second part :p:
Reply 42
F. Poste
I'm not in the best of moods tonight, so apologies if I'm labouring my point too much. However, with all due respect, I get tired of people making assumptions about me all the time because I go to Oxford (and believe me, it IS all the time), and I get tired of people thinking it's a legitimate prejudice when it's really a prejudice like any other. I wish people would make up their own minds about me rather than assuming I'm some pretentious show-off. If that opinion is "she's a moany cow" then that's their perogative, because it's at least got a basis :wink:

i get prejudice all the time, becuase of the way i dress and the way my hair is, i'm considred 'weird'. i get spat at, beaten up and have abuse hurled at me all the time. and yeah it ****s me off, i'm only being myself.i can't be anybody else. you don't have to tell people you go to oxford. you don't have to bring it up. people in the street are only going to know if you wear uni merch or walk round with a loudspeaker lol if people are prejudice then there prolly not worth it.
Reply 43
F. Poste
I bet no-one's going to attack you about that, because you're going to Leeds. If you were going to Oxford on the other hand, you'd be hung drawn and quartered because everyone's determined to prove that Oxford students are all show-offs and pretentious and stuck up :mad:

Good point :smile:
I think that perhaps the stereotype comes mainly people being insecure about their own ability rather than having any particular substance; most Oxbridge people that I've seen post on this forum are perfectly normal (though undoubtably talented).
Reply 44
tate
i get prejudice all the time, becuase of the way i dress and the way my hair is, i'm considred 'weird'. i get spat at, beaten up and have abuse hurled at me all the time. and yeah it ****s me off, i'm only being myself.i can't be anybody else. you don't have to tell people you go to oxford. you don't have to bring it up. people in the street are only going to know if you wear uni merch or walk round with a loudspeaker lol if people are prejudice then there prolly not worth it.

I could not tell people I go to Oxford, sure. But then again, you could not dress the way you do. Either way, we'd be avoiding prejudice, sure, but we'd both be concealing parts of our personalities and our lives. In the same way that you continue to dress like you do, I refuse to hide where I go and what I do. I don't go around going "I'M AT OXFORD EVERYONE, LOOK AT ME, I'M SO SMART", but funnily enough that's what people seem to hear whenever it comes up as part of the conversation, and it always does, because everyone asks what uni you go to and what you study! I only wear my hoodie when hungover/late/just slobbing around with mates, and all those times are when I'm with people who know/would assume I'm at Oxford anyway (i.e. I'm in the city during term time/in lectures etc)

And for the record, I think it's ****ing disgusting that you get treated that way. I think it's ****ing disgusting that people like that exist :mad:
Reply 45
Gaz031
Good point :smile:
I think that perhaps the stereotype comes mainly people being insecure about their own ability rather than having any particular substance; most Oxbridge people that I've seen post on this forum are perfectly normal (though undoubtably talented).

:biggrin: Glad you don't buy into the stereotype, because there are so many more nice normal people there than the people who DO found it (they're a minority!).

Jump
But despite all the assumptions, I bet you wouldn't have it any other way. So be happy :smile:

Oh, I try my best :wink: When I'm not having a bad day that is! :p:
Reply 46
Jump
go for it. :smile:

You'll get rawed up by all the shottingham kids. :frown:

i won't be rocking any uni merch
My mate played lacrosse at uni in america, got loads of free ****, eg two champion tracksuits with the uni name and his lacrosse number on them ( both hoodie and pants), about 10 t-shirts the same, shorts and vests and a personalised helmet. Now that's what i'm talking about. Although he does play lacrosse, which makes him a gimp.

And to whoever it is that's planning on getting a notts uni hoodie, let me know when you're planning on wearing it and i'll come and watch you get robbed :smile:
At the end of last year we actually got some cool stuff in. There was a nice red hoodie with 'Cardiff Uni' on the front in coca cola style writing.

Meh I guess all the other universities will have the same too though? Like the 'old' university hoodies that are all the same just with a different name.
freshestkid
My mate played lacrosse at uni in america, got loads of free ****, eg two champion tracksuits with the uni name and his lacrosse number on them ( both hoodie and pants), about 10 t-shirts the same, shorts and vests and a personalised helmet. Now that's what i'm talking about. Although he does play lacrosse, which makes him a gimp.

And to whoever it is that's planning on getting a notts uni hoodie, let me know when you're planning on wearing it and i'll come and watch you get robbed :smile:

That was quite funny :p: But only because you were kidding. :wink:
I won't watch, but it does make someone more of a target, as students are targeted more regularly, and if you are easily identifiable as one then you're more likely to get jacked. No joke. Having worked with a number of adolescents who make a habit of robbing people, i know that people easily identifiable as students are more likely to get targeted. Also, change them ipod earphones!
Reply 51
freshestkid

why would any notts students rob me for being a notts student :rolleyes:
Reply 52
Peter_E
I love my Bristol hoodie - it's big and comfy and warm. I wear it as much as possible when i'm in shopping malls, just to see if someone would kick me out...

thats why i wear my hoody (plus its warm) its a vans skater one i've had for a few years, i'd love to see them try and chuck me out when i unleash my public school voice on them :smile:

confuses people in seedy pubs when i order ale too :biggrin:
Reply 53
F. Poste
me rather than assuming I'm some pretentious show-off. If that opinion is "she's a moany cow" then that's their perogative, because it's at least got a basis :wink:

Moany cows welcome in cow soc.

apply via PM or the thread in Chat :smile:
Reply 54
F. Poste
I'm willing to bet that whatever I'd have said, you'd have claimed it was pretentious, because I go to Oxford.

Yep.

I've had enough prejudice and snobbery levelled at me because of the uni I go to. My friends at home who go to Bath Spa and St Mary's College and Buckinghamshire Chilterns and other unis never seem to get routinely abused as soon as they mention what uni they go to. It's funny how everyone seems to think they know who I am because I go to Oxford. Funnily enough, my friends at other unis never seem to get judged because of their university, and I don't see why I should be singled out, labelled and prejudiced against when I personally have never made assumptions about someone's character or intelligence because of what uni they go to.

Typical response of a highly pretentious Oxford student.
Reply 55
CasterTroy
Yep.

Rather a pretentious Oxford student than a bitter non-Oxford student :smile:
Reply 56
F. Poste
Rather a pretentious Oxford student than a bitter non-Oxford student :smile:

That's a rather pretentious presumption
CasterTroy
That's a rather pretentious presumption

Maybe. But at least she's not spewing nebulous bile. You've already admitted that you'd claim anything she were to say is pretentious, simply because she goes to Oxford; how can you possibly expect to be taken seriously now?
Reply 58
CasterTroy

typical response of a jealous arsehole.
Reply 59
Thank you and thank you :smile:

Besides, it's not an assumption at all. I said I'd rather be a pretentious Oxford student than someone who's bitter and not at Oxford. It was only you who was making assumptions.. you're pretty good at that! Well done!

Latest