The Student Room Group

Intermediate 2 English 2010 Thread!

Who else is sitting Int2 English this year?

Hit just hit me today how close it is to my first exam which is English! I have revised alot for Engish since the start of Easter and I really want to get 5 A's (even though they are not all highers) and I think tthisare one of the subjects I will really have to work on.

What texts are you all doing? I am doing:
Poetry - "Revelation" by Liz Lochhead
Poetry - "The death of Marilyn Monroe" by Edwin Morgan
Prose (Short-story) - "Rupert Bear and the San Izal" by Alan Spence
Play - "Blood Brothers" by Willy Russell

Has anyone got past papers for critical essay and close reading with marking instructions below 2007 (e.g 2006, 2005) they can scan up. It would be much appreciated. I will be willing to help anyone stuck on anything.

Good Luck everyone with Int2 English!

ProudScottish :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm an S4 doing Int 2 English, and I'm worried, very worried to be honest.

We've only got 2 texts we can do too, so I'm stuck with them unfortunately.

I have :

Drama - Death of a Salesman by Arthur Miller
Prose - The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
Reply 2
_Stephieee

I have :

Why are you not doing SG?

Anyway, I'm doing int2 English and it should be one of my easier exams because I'm doing highers as well.

Got an A in the prelim so should be straight forward enough. :smile:
Reply 3
Ross93

Anyway, I'm doing int2 English and it should be one of my easier exams because I'm doing highers as well.

My school runs Int 2, something about it being better prep for Higher but it's just so different to all my other subjects that are SG's (except Art which is also Int 2). I've really found it stressful so not looking forward to the exam.
Reply 4
Ross93

Some schools do Int 1s and 2s instead of SGs for some subjects :smile: e.g. my school doesn't do any SGs at all.
Reply 5
_Stephieee

I have :

im doing - death of a salesman too
- Gatsby
- Poems by Carol Anne Duffy

Likewise very worried :frown:
Reply 6
im doing Crucible for drama, more than just a disease and congatheres for prose and the Horses for Poetry.
Reply 7
_Stephieee

I have :

ONLY TWO TEXTS???????

Seriously, wtf is your school doing. If you can't answer either of those, thats your entire exam pretty much screwed? You need at an absolute minimum, 3 texts.
Reply 8
jackwka
ONLY TWO TEXTS???????

Seriously, wtf is your school doing. If you can't answer either of those, thats your entire exam pretty much screwed? You need at an absolute minimum, 3 texts.

Nah you don't. I did two texts for Int 2 and found myself spoiled for choice questionwise. Planning on doing the same for Higher, and judging by past papers there's nothing to worry about.

Poetry is risky unless you have quite a few. But honestly, the SQA specifically write the prose and drama questions so that they cover everything. The only way you'll be screwed is if you don't know your text well enough. If you are thouroughly versed in your prose and drama you will be absoloutely fine. :smile:
Reply 9
jackwka
ONLY TWO TEXTS???????

I'm not gonna lie, it's not ideal, but I feel I know them reasonably well... I think...

The other class in my year has 2 plays, 1 novel and a poem to choose from!
Reply 10
Blu3j4yw4y
Nah you don't. I did two texts for Int 2 and found myself spoiled for choice questionwise. Planning on doing the same for Higher, and judging by past papers there's nothing to worry about.

Poetry is risky unless you have quite a few. But honestly, the SQA specifically write the prose and drama questions so that they cover everything. The only way you'll be screwed is if you don't know your text well enough. If you are thouroughly versed in your prose and drama you will be absoloutely fine. :smile:

Wow, thats horendously risky. It is never set in stone that all questions cover everything. EVER
jackwka
Wow, thats horendously risky. It is never set in stone that all questions cover everything. EVER

In my past paper books there's only two questions in all six years of papers that I couldn't answer with my texts. I don't think there were any I couldn't answer in my Int 2 ones. You're being paranoid.
Reply 12
Blu3j4yw4y
In my past paper books there's only two questions in all six years of papers that I couldn't answer with my texts. I don't think there were any I couldn't answer in my Int 2 ones. You're being paranoid.

I'm just saying, have you seen an official SQA document stating that your own texts will always appear? I'm not trying to be nasty, I'm just trying to be supportive.
jackwka
I'm just saying, have you seen an official SQA document stating that your own texts will always appear? I'm not trying to be nasty, I'm just trying to be supportive.

Sorry if I'm being a bit snappish :frown:

I haven't seen an SQA document, no, but my teacher said it would be a waste of time revising poetry seeing as 'there will definitely be Gatsby and Othello questions.' And considering there has never been a year with less than two questions that could work it seems a bit of a freak year for there to suddenly be none.

See there's just a group of questions that apply to everything, like turning point, theme, character, stuff that you get in every half decent text. And at least one (usually two or three) of these comes up every year, so if you know your text well you're fine.
Reply 14
Blu3j4yw4y
Sorry if I'm being a bit snappish :frown:

I haven't seen an SQA document, no, but my teacher said it would be a waste of time revising poetry seeing as 'there will definitely be Gatsby and Othello questions.' And considering there has never been a year with less than two questions that could work it seems a bit of a freak year for there to suddenly be none.

See there's just a group of questions that apply to everything, like turning point, theme, character, stuff that you get in every half decent text. And at least one (usually two or three) of these comes up every year, so if you know your text well you're fine.

I totally get what your saying. But " it seems a bit of a freak year for there to suddenly be none". That isn't totally true, even if you got one, there is no guarantee there would be a question on the other. I do realise it is unlikely, I was just saying to be ready for the worst if, god forbid, it did happen.

And no, your not being snappish :p: I think its just the exam nerves starting to crawl in to everyone. I've been unfairly craby to a lot of folk recently :frown: Stupid exams...
jackwka
I totally get what your saying. But " it seems a bit of a freak year for there to suddenly be none". That isn't totally true, even if you got one, there is no guarantee there would be a question on the other. I do realise it is unlikely, I was just saying to be ready for the worst if, god forbid, it did happen.

And no, your not being snappish :p: I think its just the exam nerves starting to crawl in to everyone. I've been unfairly craby to a lot of folk recently :frown: Stupid exams...

Well I'ma gonna take me chances, :p: I really, really, really hate poetry, I'd rather take the risk than revise our stupid poem :frown:

Yeah I agree, feeling insanely stressed at the moment :frown:
Blu3j4yw4y

Hi,
What grade did you get in INT2?

Considering you did INT2, how did you structure your essay? Have you got an int2 essay of yours which you could show me so I could get the idea, please. That would be much appereciated. I feel that my structure is ok but what you advise on get the best grade possible in INT2.

Thanks

ProudScottish
ProudScottish
Hi,
What grade did you get in INT2?

Considering you did INT2, how did you structure your essay? Have you got an int2 essay of yours which you could show me so I could get the idea, please. That would be much appereciated. I feel that my structure is ok but what you advise on get the best grade possible in INT2.

Thanks

ProudScottish

Got an A band 1 :smile:

Basically first I made up intros/summaries which could be adapted for any essay. I found these in my revision notebook, I memorised them and they're pretty much the exact ones I used in the exam:

Containing strong themes of ambition, evil and deceit, "Macbeth" is a tragedy written in the early 1600s by William Shakespeare. It depicts the title character, Macbeth, as a courageous and brave soldier fighting for king and country. His loyalty is tested, however, when he meets three witches who declare him as the next king. Though initlally hesitant, encouragement from his wife eads him to embark upon a dark road of murder and manipulation to gain and secure the throne.

When a group of school boys crashland on a deserted island, William Golding's "Lord of the Flies" at first seems to be an exciting adventure story. It tells of how the boys relish the lack of adult supervision and learn to build shelters, make fire and hunt pugs. However, the plot takes a deadly twist. When childhood rivalry between the two central characters, Ralph and Jack, goes too far, a schism is formed in the goup. As the boys embrace their savage instincts, the fun and games lose their humour, and life on the island becomes a bitter struggle for survival.

And basically if you spend a bit of time getting good introductions you can be confident the examiner is starting with a good impression :smile: Also, if you need to, you can tack on an extra sentence directly adressing the question.

Afraid I don't have any whole essays ( I thought I did - but I can't find them - I'll keep looking ) but I have a load of notes on Macbeth/Lord of the Flies/Revelation/Hotel Room 12th Floor if you're doing any of them (unless you wanna see them anyway? I dunno :dontknow: )

Generally I did (still do, actually) intro, 4-5 pee chains, and conclusion. In my personal experience quality is better over quantity, and I really couldn't write more than five without sacraficing stuff. My teacher did say that you could do up to seven or eight - although I think that's daft - but she was a great teacher, so I guess if that floats your boat it can't be awful advice.

When I was revising I did a lot of essay plans ranging from almost full essays to just quotes under a heading. I found just writing about it a lot helps. Think of every question you could possibly write about and then write about it. A lot of this you won't use, admittedly, but it means that you'll have a really, really thourough knowledge of the text. Pick out some of the points and sentences you made that sound really good and try to learn them specifically. If you do this then you won't be stuck for words at all and will be struggling to fit everything you want to say into the time, cause points will be flooding out your brain :p:

Personally I would advise against poetry unless you're really good at it. Both my teachers said novels and plays are just generally more respected and you need to get a lot more from a poem to get a good grade. I'm not saying do drama or prose if you don't like them, plenty of people I know got As with poetry, but if you're on the fence I would lean towards them :p:

Ehh, try to make your conclusion dramatic and thought-provoking. I can't really talk about them because they aren't much of strength of mine, and they tend to be more question-orientated than your intro, which means they're a lot harder to memorise. Make some deep point or something. Comment on the novel, characters and/or theme as a whole, don't just talk about the question. Same for your arguments throughout your essay. Don't just address the question, although obviously that's the priority, but give some insights and ideas into the theme and meaning of the story, that'll impress the examiner :smile:

Ehh, I don't know what else to say. But if you have any more questions about the above stuff, or anything else, I'd be happy to give them a go. Remember I'm not a teacher though, so I don't know how much of what I did actually helped get my grade and how much was bs :p:
Blu3j4yw4y
Got an A band 1 :smile:

Basically first I made up intros/summaries which could be adapted for any essay. I found these in my revision notebook, I memorised them and they're pretty much the exact ones I used in the exam:

And basically if you spend a bit of time getting good introductions you can be confident the examiner is starting with a good impression :smile: Also, if you need to, you can tack on an extra sentence directly adressing the question.

Afraid I don't have any whole essays ( I thought I did - but I can't find them - I'll keep looking ) but I have a load of notes on Macbeth/Lord of the Flies/Revelation/Hotel Room 12th Floor if you're doing any of them (unless you wanna see them anyway? I dunno :dontknow: )

Generally I did (still do, actually) intro, 4-5 pee chains, and conclusion. In my personal experience quality is better over quantity, and I really couldn't write more than five without sacraficing stuff. My teacher did say that you could do up to seven or eight - although I think that's daft - but she was a great teacher, so I guess if that floats your boat it can't be awful advice.

When I was revising I did a lot of essay plans ranging from almost full essays to just quotes under a heading. I found just writing about it a lot helps. Think of every question you could possibly write about and then write about it. A lot of this you won't use, admittedly, but it means that you'll have a really, really thourough knowledge of the text. Pick out some of the points and sentences you made that sound really good and try to learn them specifically. If you do this then you won't be stuck for words at all and will be struggling to fit everything you want to say into the time, cause points will be flooding out your brain :p:

Personally I would advise against poetry unless you're really good at it. Both my teachers said novels and plays are just generally more respected and you need to get a lot more from a poem to get a good grade. I'm not saying do drama or prose if you don't like them, plenty of people I know got As with poetry, but if you're on the fence I would lean towards them :p:

Ehh, try to make your conclusion dramatic and thought-provoking. I can't really talk about them because they aren't much of strength of mine, and they tend to be more question-orientated than your intro, which means they're a lot harder to memorise. Make some deep point or something. Comment on the novel, characters and/or theme as a whole, don't just talk about the question. Same for your arguments throughout your essay. Don't just address the question, although obviously that's the priority, but give some insights and ideas into the theme and meaning of the story, that'll impress the examiner :smile:

Ehh, I don't know what else to say. But if you have any more questions about the above stuff, or anything else, I'd be happy to give them a go. Remember I'm not a teacher though, so I don't know how much of what I did actually helped get my grade and how much was bs :p:

Thanks for the lengthy reply! Thanks for giving some abstracts of work it has shown me the difference between mine. Thanks for this!

I hope you do well in your future exams!

Thanks again!

ProudScottish
Reply 19
ohhhhhhhhhh so close to exam date - in prelim i got B going for A in exam i am studying
poetry - " your attention please " peter porter
" the horses" edwin muir

media - "platoon"

prose ( short story ) - " i stand here ironing " tilly olsen

can any1 help with these :smile: email or add on msn ( [email protected] ) plzplzplz:woo:

Latest

Trending

Trending