The Student Room Group

Cambridge Linguistics applicants 2024

Hi, is anyone here applying for or considering applying for Linguistics undergrad at Cambridge this year?
If there's already a thread for this pls point me in that direction :smile:
(edited 11 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi I had to make an account just to reply to this lol. As far as I can tell there isn't another thread for this. It sucks looking for resources online because it's such a relatively niche course. But it's nice to see there's at least one other person also applying for linguistics at Cambridge :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by MæːksCɑːtɜː
Hi I had to make an account just to reply to this lol. As far as I can tell there isn't another thread for this. It sucks looking for resources online because it's such a relatively niche course. But it's nice to see there's at least one other person also applying for linguistics at Cambridge :smile:

yes, hopefully more people will find this thread at some point. What A-levels are you doing? :smile:
I'm doing English lit, politics, Econ. Wbu?

Original post by Amelia1264
yes, hopefully more people will find this thread at some point. What A-levels are you doing? :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by MæːksCɑːtɜː
I'm doing English lit, politics, Econ. Wbu?

French, English Language and Physics :smile:
Reply 5
hiiii!! just graduated my ib diploma and going to do linguistics at cambridge this year. its so great seeing people interested in doing this subject!! if u guys have any questions u can ask me.. I hope everyone does the best!!
Reply 6
Original post by bluzzo
hiiii!! just graduated my ib diploma and going to do linguistics at cambridge this year. its so great seeing people interested in doing this subject!! if u guys have any questions u can ask me.. I hope everyone does the best!!

hi, do you have any tips for the admissions assessment, i can't seem to find much about it online apart from 1 specimen paper!!
Reply 7
so glad I found this thread!! I also want to ask for tips on the admission tests as there seems to only be 2 past papers/ specimen papers online ;-; maybe doing some linguistics olympiad past papers will help since they are kinda similar?
Reply 8
Original post by jesjes750
so glad I found this thread!! I also want to ask for tips on the admission tests as there seems to only be 2 past papers/ specimen papers online ;-; maybe doing some linguistics olympiad past papers will help since they are kinda similar?

Yess they do help!!! I never knew ILO until after Jan, but their questions are cool. i do find cambridge's questions to be a bit harder tho!
Reply 9

I do think what is good is to practice skills on interpreting data. That’s like graphs, charts etc. Try to compare and contrast, elucidate trends, and perhaps using simple words to explain why your observations might have happened. I think this year there is 1 decipher language question, and 2 data questions, am i right?
Reply 10
Original post by bluzzo
Yess they do help!!! I never knew ILO until after Jan, but their questions are cool. i do find cambridge's questions to be a bit harder tho!

Ah, when you refer to ILO questions may I ask which level of questions are you referring to? I actually participated in the 'regional round' of linguistics olympiad last year (didn't get in globals oops) so I had a go at the sample questions here: https://ioling.org/problems/samples/
I feel like the 'Easy' and 'Intermediate' problems are doable but the 'Hard' problems really rekted my brain, and the ILO past papers are even harder - where would you say the Cambridge questions rest? Thank you!
Reply 11
Ah, when you refer to ILO questions may I ask which level of questions are you referring to? I actually participated in the 'regional round' of linguistics olympiad last year (didn't get in globals oops) so I had a go at the sample questions here: https://ioling.org/problems/samples/
I feel like the 'Easy' and 'Intermediate' problems are doable but the 'Hard' problems really rekted my brain, and the ILO past papers are even harder - where would you say the Cambridge questions rest? Thank you!

I dont think this is a good strategy to be honest, focusing on which level of questions to do based on someone else’s opinion? I would suggest doing cambridge samples, however few there are. Perhaps, choose ILO questions that use full phrases instead of words. And make sure to think about what similarities and differences there are, between the target language and English.
Hey everyone, did anyone else go to the open day on Friday? How are you all doing w your personal statements? Mine’s due by the end of this week (!)
Reply 13
Original post by pineapple1865
Hey everyone, did anyone else go to the open day on Friday? How are you all doing w your personal statements? Mine’s due by the end of this week (!)

Not at UK so didn't go ;-; I've completed my personal statement, but I am worried that it is too focused on sociolinguistics while Cambridge doesn't really offer it anymore (changed syllabus from Language, Brain and Society to Language, Brain and Machines)
Reply 14
Not at UK so didn't go ;-; I've completed my personal statement, but I am worried that it is too focused on sociolinguistics while Cambridge doesn't really offer it anymore (changed syllabus from Language, Brain and Society to Language, Brain and Machines)

Its ok!!! They do focus on socioling.. first year is an introduction to all major branches of linguistics!! They have to teach socioling.

Oh I didn’t realise that they’d updated the course page! Ty for the update
Abt socio, I did talk to the dos for lings at Pembroke & she said that she was preparing a lecture about the history of code-switching I think it was, so there’ll def be smth in there for you! & if not, you could always write abt it for your dissertation lol

Edit: I can understand the reasoning behind updating the syllabus tho: a considerable amount of graduates have gone into FAANG after the whole NLP craze they probably wanted to introduce it to more students for career prospects (?)
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 16
Original post by bluzzo
Its ok!!! They do focus on socioling.. first year is an introduction to all major branches of linguistics!! They have to teach socioling.

ah thank you for the reassurance!! May I ask which area of linguistics are you the most interested in?
Reply 17
Original post by pineapple1865
Oh I didn’t realise that they’d updated the course page! Ty for the update
Abt socio, I did talk to the dos for lings at Pembroke & she said that she was preparing a lecture about the history of code-switching I think it was, so there’ll def be smth in there for you! & if not, you could always write abt it for your dissertation lol

Edit: I can understand the reasoning behind updating the syllabus tho: a considerable amount of graduates have gone into FAANG after the whole NLP craze they probably wanted to introduce it to more students for career prospects (?)

I agree that it's probably for career prospects - I guess especially important as Linguistics is not the first degree that comes to mind if you want to earn a lot of money lol

I'm also starting at Cambridge for linguistics this year. The introductory reading includes a number of books on sociolinguistics so I doubt that would be too much of a problem. I had a good chunk of mine focused on sociolinguistics as well. Just try to focus on a few different areas maybe.
Reply 19
Original post by Anonymous
I'm also starting at Cambridge for linguistics this year. The introductory reading includes a number of books on sociolinguistics so I doubt that would be too much of a problem. I had a good chunk of mine focused on sociolinguistics as well. Just try to focus on a few different areas maybe.

Thank you!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending