The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 1
Natwest, because I want a railcard thing and I like Natwest, plus they offer a larger max. overdraft than most.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
im with natwest cause no other bank would take me :frown: but its good cause i do believe it is the nearest bank to the uni, and there was another branch round the corner from my house, and another branch at the other end of the main campus. they have been ok, i get an overdraft and credit card and etc, the standard student stuff. my account was converted though so i didnt get any freebies, i think this year they are doing a 5year rail card which can be pretty useful, especially if you are gonna be getting the train a lot. i dont think there is a great deal between all the banks, you just have to look at the interest rates they charge for overdrafts and credit cards, whether you can get online banking (good for keeping up with your budget), whether they offer things like commission free exchange on foreign money, etc. dont go with one just because you are getting a free popcorn maker, i can guarantee you will use it no more than twice.
Reply 3
oh and there is a very nice man who works in the natwest branch in the university precinct centre! dont know how much that will sway your decision but he is lovely.
Natwest. Living in london and having a girlfriend in Oxford means I use the trains alot, and last year i saved loadsa money with my railcard...pretty much essential if you're gonna get the trains much...
Reply 5
The highest overdraft is offered by Halifax. The other banks can't beat it, look:

Halifax (from 1st year upwards) : £1,750 £1,900 £2,100 £2,100 £2,100

If u want rail card you go for natwest, because thats what they offer free. But u can get one made for a year, it only costs £20.

Join HSBC and they give you a free 512mb mp3 player.

So up to you really, depends what you want.
Reply 6
I'm going with NatWest because of the railcard!
Reply 7
what..
a 5 yr railcard?
from natwest?

im tempted :eek:
Reply 8
sshah
The highest overdraft is offered by Halifax. The other banks can't beat it, look:

Halifax (from 1st year upwards) : £1,750 £1,900 £2,100 £2,100 £2,100

If u want rail card you go for natwest, because thats what they offer free. But u can get one made for a year, it only costs £20.

Join HSBC and they give you a free 512mb mp3 player.

So up to you really, depends what you want.

Just want to add this is maximum overdraft possible, the actual max. you're given is up to them, eg. with Halifax you might still only get a £900 overdraft limit.
i'd go with natwest out of that choice, banked with them until i started working for another bank, good customer service the majority of the time.

but rbs own natwest so they're probably very similar now.

i bank with smile.co.uk they ROCK :biggrin:

but you'd defo need net at uni in your room
Reply 10
Natwest because it's the 'coolest' bank. :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending