The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ipswichblade
Yes, Yorkshire football = awful!

I was born in Leeds and have a lot of friends and family who support them to be fair!

There was a time when both Sheffield clubs and Leeds were in the Premier League, think even Bradford got up there for a season. Even Barnsley had a season in the Premier League.
Original post by Rock Fan
There was a time when both Sheffield clubs and Leeds were in the Premier League, think even Bradford got up there for a season. Even Barnsley had a season in the Premier League.

Bradford actually had two seasons up there as did Hull and of cause us and Sheffield Wednesday used to be permanent fixtures before our demises. I think though since about the turn of the millennium Yorkshire football has demised with the implosion of Leeds and most of the then lower league Yorkshire clubs suffering with the ITV digital collapse. Most I think have been in administration at least once. Of course though Hull and Sheffield United's spells in the Premier League did come much after this.
Original post by LUFC Tom
Bradford actually had two seasons up there as did Hull and of cause us and Sheffield Wednesday used to be permanent fixtures before our demises. I think though since about the turn of the millennium Yorkshire football has demised with the implosion of Leeds and most of the then lower league Yorkshire clubs suffering with the ITV digital collapse. Most I think have been in administration at least once. Of course though Hull and Sheffield United's spells in the Premier League did come much after this.

Course yes Hull as well, yeah it's sad to see what had happened to football in Yorkshire as they are just as passionate about it as anywhere else like in Newcastle. I think now though it is improving slightly and I am sure in the next couple seasons one or two of the teams in Yorkshire will be back in the Premier League. I can also remember when York City were a decent football league outfit, well saying that they have regained their status in the football league now, and I haven't mentioned Leeds' bitter rivals Huddersfield Town. And there was Halifax who went out of business (now reformed).
Course yes Hull as well, yeah it's sad to see what had happened to football in Yorkshire as they are just as passionate about it as anywhere else like in Newcastle. I think now though it is improving slightly and I am sure in the next couple seasons one or two of the teams in Yorkshire will be back in the Premier League. I can also remember when York City were a decent football league outfit, well saying that they have regained their status in the football league now, and I haven't mentioned Leeds' bitter rivals Huddersfield Town. And there was Halifax who went out of business (now reformed).

Yeah it does seem to be on the up and it's great to see York back in the league. Of cause our great rivals Huddersfield shouldn't be forgotten :wink: . Though to be fair they have a reasonable team as long as they keep hold of Rhodes. I'm very interested to see how Grayson and Clayton do. Wouldn't object to them doing well as long as it's not at Leeds expense.

Yep, tis true.
Any Leeds fans able to give me a general outline of what to expect from Robbie Rogers? He's joined us on loan and I see he hasn't appeared much for Leeds at all.

Cheers :smile:
Yeah it does seem to be on the up and it's great to see York back in the league. Of cause our great rivals Huddersfield shouldn't be forgotten :wink: . Though to be fair they have a reasonable team as long as they keep hold of Rhodes. I'm very interested to see how Grayson and Clayton do. Wouldn't object to them doing well as long as it's not at Leeds expense.

There's a handful in the non league somewhere as well, Harrogate, and didn't Garforth Town once have a Brazilian legend play for them for half a game. We had Scarborough as well before they went bust as well, not sure if I mentioned Donny either, loads of clubs in Yorkshire. And finally how there is the worlds oldest club Sheffield FC
Original post by Introvert2020
Any Leeds fans able to give me a general outline of what to expect from Robbie Rogers? He's joined us on loan and I see he hasn't appeared much for Leeds at all.

Well he made his debut off the bench lasted ten minutes and went off concussed. Came back and started a game and looked good but went off injured after ten minutes again. He played a lot in pre season and scored a couple looking reasonably good. He then got transfer listed to try raise funds I think this was more because Warnock wanted to raise funds for a striker and Rodgers wouldn't be a regular starter so could be someone to raise funds who wouldn't be missed much. A lot of Leeds fans wanted to keep him as a bench option as he offers pace and creativity going forward, something we have little of at the minute. To summarise he hasn't had much luck at Leeds but looks a reasonable player and I would expect him to do well at Stevenage. Hoping playing there might get him used to the English game and he does well so he can come back to Leeds and make an impact.
There's a handful in the non league somewhere as well, Harrogate, and didn't Garforth Town once have a Brazilian legend play for them for half a game. We had Scarborough as well before they went bust as well, not sure if I mentioned Donny either, loads of clubs in Yorkshire. And finally how there is the worlds oldest club Sheffield FC

Yeah Socrates turned out for Garforth as the owner Simon Clifford has links to Brazilian football. Harrogate have two teams and I believe Scarborough reformed and are working there way back up the leagues though not sure how well they are doing. Farsley my local village team also made it as far as the conference before going bust but have reformed and got a couple of promotions. Guiseley another Leeds based small town side also nearly made the Blue Square Premier last season loosing in the play offs.
Original post by Introvert2020

He attracted injuries as if they were magnetic in the league season, it was ridiculous. He'd touched the ball twice before being knocked out on his debut. His next game saw a hamstring injury after 11 minutes. When he got to pre-season training this summer, he had the worst black-eye i've ever seen.

I can only judge it on what I saw in pre-season really, but he looks very attack-minded, no pissing about type of winger. If he can get to the byline, he will, no tricks. Just get there and get the ball in. Looks to have a decent cross on himself, too.

I personally dunno if he's Championship standard, but I feel he'll be more than comfortable in League One. Hope he does well, too, he seems a really nice guy and actually quite clever. Unlike most footballers, he seems educated and is into quite obscure hobbies like Architecture.

Keep us updated on him, anyway! :smile:
Yeah Socrates turned out for Garforth as the owner Simon Clifford has links to Brazilian football. Harrogate have two teams and I believe Scarborough reformed and are working there way back up the leagues though not sure how well they are doing. Farsley my local village team also made it as far as the conference before going bust but have reformed and got a couple of promotions. Guiseley another Leeds based small town side also nearly made the Blue Square Premier last season loosing in the play offs.

Ha well as I said I do think Yorkshire football is slowly making a comeback, many of the sleeping giants are starting to wake up.
Entertain game between Nottingham Forest and Bolton ended in a 2 all draw, another lot of football league action over the weekend.

Championship
Bristol City V Cardiff
Blackburn V Leicester
Blackpool Vs Ipswich
Brighton V Barnsley
Charlton V Hull
Huddersfield V Burnley
Middlesbrough V Crystal Palace
Peterborough V Leeds United
Sheff Wed V Millwall
Wolves V Derby
Watford V Birmingham (Live on Sky Sports at 17.20)

League One
Bournemouth V Preston
Brentford V Crewe
Carlisle V Portsmouth
Colchester V Sheff Utd
Coventry V Bury
Doncaster V Crawley
Leyton Orient V Hartlepool
Notts County V Walsall
Oldham V Stevenage
Scunthorpe V Yeovil
Shrewsbury V Tranmere
Swindon V MK Dons

League Two
Accrington V Exeter
Aldershot V Cheltenham
Barnet V York
Bradford V Wimbledon
Burton Albion V Fleetwood
Chesterfield V Rotherham
Dag & Red V Gillingham
Morecambe V Port Vale
Northampton V Southend
Oxford Utd V Plymouth
Torquay V Rochdale
Wycombe V Bristol Rovers
watched bolton last night on the telly didnt fink they were all that, when that korean lad gets a real tackle through him and that chris eagles pretty boy finds out what lifes like down in real football he'll be off and then boltn will be down here a few years i reckon. COME ON THE MILLWALL
It is Barnet's last season at Underhill, and if they play like they did this afternoon for the rest of the season then it will be their last in the League as well.
pah, absolutely dominated Blackburn - their goals aside, I only remember 1 other shot. Just cannot bloody finish.
Derby picked up a good point away at Wolves. Really should have been all 3 if it were not for their keeper having an absolute blinder of a game. Great performance though, bring on Watford!
Oxford 2-1 Plymouth, oh yeahhhh! Nice free kick though to Plymouth's credit.
Well he made his debut off the bench lasted ten minutes and went off concussed. Came back and started a game and looked good but went off injured after ten minutes again. He played a lot in pre season and scored a couple looking reasonably good. He then got transfer listed to try raise funds I think this was more because Warnock wanted to raise funds for a striker and Rodgers wouldn't be a regular starter so could be someone to raise funds who wouldn't be missed much. A lot of Leeds fans wanted to keep him as a bench option as he offers pace and creativity going forward, something we have little of at the minute. To summarise he hasn't had much luck at Leeds but looks a reasonable player and I would expect him to do well at Stevenage. Hoping playing there might get him used to the English game and he does well so he can come back to Leeds and make an impact.

Original post by Schmucks
He attracted injuries as if they were magnetic in the league season, it was ridiculous. He'd touched the ball twice before being knocked out on his debut. His next game saw a hamstring injury after 11 minutes. When he got to pre-season training this summer, he had the worst black-eye i've ever seen.

I can only judge it on what I saw in pre-season really, but he looks very attack-minded, no pissing about type of winger. If he can get to the byline, he will, no tricks. Just get there and get the ball in. Looks to have a decent cross on himself, too.

I personally dunno if he's Championship standard, but I feel he'll be more than comfortable in League One. Hope he does well, too, he seems a really nice guy and actually quite clever. Unlike most footballers, he seems educated and is into quite obscure hobbies like Architecture.

Keep us updated on him, anyway! :smile:

Thanks very much to both of you - I intended to rep you both but it wouldn't let me do so for LUFC Tom due to apparently having already repped you recently, but I'm grateful to both of you equally. :tongue:

It sounds like he'd fit in well as Gary Smith is trying to build a side that plays free-flowing attacking football, but also seems to be relying on Marcus Haber as a lone target man, so a good winger who can put in a decent cross is probably exactly what we need. It's a shame it hasn't worked out for him in Leeds yet but if there was any club in the country that would get the best out of him I'd imagine it would be Stevenage, as Smith will know him well from when he was the manager of Colorado in the MLS - so I'm quietly confident that this could be a fruitful deal for both clubs and the player himself.

And I'll definitely keep you updated; he made his debut for us today against Oldham but it was only from the bench in the last ten minutes or so.

Thanks again :smile:
Yeovil top of league 1, enjoying it while I can :biggrin:
4 red cards in 4 games. :facepalm: Sounded like it was harsh again but it's still ridiculous.

Latest