The Student Room Group

Interrailing/Eurailing Advice Superthread (IMPORTANT: FAQ at start)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sophiemay20
Oh wow, sounds like you had an amazing time.. what places did you visit? :smile:

I've travelled around parts of the UK on my own and I've loved it.. so basically Europe is the next step!

agh excellent :smile: I went to Brussels > Amsterdam > Berlin > Dresden > Munich > Florence > Pisa > Milan > Monaco > Nice > Cannes > Marseilles > Barcelona
What did people do for breakfast when they were travelling? Of the 7 hostels I'm going to book thus far, only 2 offer breakfast - while a few offer a kitchen + supplies. I'm concerned about how the travelling will affect my eating pattern/habits - especially having spent 8 days at Benicassim beforehand.

Did people buy continental stuff from shops (i.e. cheeses/hams) or go for milk/cereal/toast, or something different entirely?
Original post by veggie4life
agh excellent :smile: I went to Brussels > Amsterdam > Berlin > Dresden > Munich > Florence > Pisa > Milan > Monaco > Nice > Cannes > Marseilles > Barcelona

Amazing.. were Florence and Marseilles nice? How long did it take you to visit all them places? And did you go on night trains? (cause I've been advised not to)

Sorry for all the questions! :redface:
Reply 783
For people going this year, definetely get the ferry to morocco and visit San Sebastian in the north of spain!

Other great places are:

- Lake Bled
- Zagreb
- Llubjana (Cheap drink)

a night to relax in small towns in the south of france doesnt do any harm either.
In terms of money these areas are great for sleeping on beaches etc. cheap wine bread and cheese as well hahaah.

Also never really understood why everyone feels like they need to go to amsterdam.. :confused:

Its full on stag parties and is really dirty.. you can't even smoke/buy grass legally unless your a resident now (and from experiences in Berlin, buying drugs in a country that isnt your own isnt a good decision.. especially large cities) .. As an interrailing destination I just dont see the point. You aren't really discovering much hahah.

:biggrin:
Had another question - are small local trains included in your interrailing ticket? I'm hoping on visiting Venice, but will be staying in a hotel just outisde (in Mestre). The local train from Venice Mestre station takes 10 minutes and gets you straight into Venice - will this count on the ticket?

Obviously it won't be the best use of the interrailing ticket in Venice, as travel by waterbus is the best way to get around; but oh well.
Amazing.. were Florence and Marseilles nice? How long did it take you to visit all them places? And did you go on night trains? (cause I've been advised not to)

Sorry for all the questions! :redface:

I really, really didn't like marseilles but i've heard lots of people love it so maybe that was just me! The hostel I stayed in was lovely though :smile: It was called hostel vertigo and was nice and near to the station :smile:

Florence was fantastic! Slightly more expensive but incredibly beautiful and it was my first taste of mediterranean weather during the trip! I stayed at Camping Michelango and wouldn't recommend it at all!

so I spent two nights in most cities with four in Barcelona Three in Florence, Berlin, Amsterdam and Munich - for me this was enough time as i'm not the biggest museum person and just wanted to see the main sights - I could of spent more time in Barcelona and Munich but apart from that I think I got the balance right :smile:

I didn't go on any night trains really - when i was checking they seemed really expensive and i knew i wouldn't get a wink of sleep on one.

More than happy to answer any questions :smile:
Original post by SLlewellyn
Had another question - are small local trains included in your interrailing ticket? I'm hoping on visiting Venice, but will be staying in a hotel just outisde (in Mestre). The local train from Venice Mestre station takes 10 minutes and gets you straight into Venice - will this count on the ticket?

Obviously it won't be the best use of the interrailing ticket in Venice, as travel by waterbus is the best way to get around; but oh well.

Yup - small, local train are included.

Expect to pay a supplement for Inter-City service, and ICE services.
Original post by veggie4life
I really, really didn't like marseilles but i've heard lots of people love it so maybe that was just me! The hostel I stayed in was lovely though :smile: It was called hostel vertigo and was nice and near to the station :smile:

Florence was fantastic! Slightly more expensive but incredibly beautiful and it was my first taste of mediterranean weather during the trip! I stayed at Camping Michelango and wouldn't recommend it at all!

so I spent two nights in most cities with four in Barcelona Three in Florence, Berlin, Amsterdam and Munich - for me this was enough time as i'm not the biggest museum person and just wanted to see the main sights - I could of spent more time in Barcelona and Munich but apart from that I think I got the balance right :smile:

I didn't go on any night trains really - when i was checking they seemed really expensive and i knew i wouldn't get a wink of sleep on one.

More than happy to answer any questions :smile:

Oh, you actually share the same views of both cities as my dad, who travelled around parts of Europe on motorbike and stuff a lot in his early 20's! I was thinking Marseilles because I've been told to avoid Paris because I'm on my own and I just want to finish in France, ha! Thanks for the hostel recommendation though!
I think Florence is going to be a definite really :smile:

Did you have your route planned before you set off, or did you sort of go with the flow and decide where to go next when you were in each place?

And ahh right about the night trains, guessing security wouldn't be that great on them either.
Reply 788
Hello!

My girlfriend and I are planning to go interrailing this summer and have no ideas where to begin planning. we have been saving up for quite a while and so were thinking about getting two tickets, going as soon as we finish exams in June, come back mid July for a week to recover and then go out again until just before results day?

So what do we need to know? we both love exploring new places and will check out literally anywhere if someone tells us its good. I spent last Easter in Barcelona and loved it so definatly going back there, any particular highlights for people who have been before that we need to see?

Also general advice would be good: How much money will we need? should we bring a tent and spend some nights on beaches? is that legal? where not to go? what to bring etc. etc.

Baring in mind I didn't even bring wellies or a pillow to Reading this year, what should I consider before going?

Thanks in advance :biggrin:
Oh, you actually share the same views of both cities as my dad, who travelled around parts of Europe on motorbike and stuff a lot in his early 20's! I was thinking Marseilles because I've been told to avoid Paris because I'm on my own and I just want to finish in France, ha! Thanks for the hostel recommendation though!
I think Florence is going to be a definite really :smile:

Did you have your route planned before you set off, or did you sort of go with the flow and decide where to go next when you were in each place?

And ahh right about the night trains, guessing security wouldn't be that great on them either.

haha if you just want somewhere to finish along the south coast perhaps consider Nice? It's not the most interesting place in itself but it's a great base for you to explore other places from for the day. I stayed in Nice and spent a day in Cannes and Monaco whilst I was there :smile:

I must admit i'm not very adventurous so I planned my route down to the times of the trains I was getting (It didn't always work out though!). There's pros and cons to both - if you're the sort of person that would enjoy meeting people along the way and tagging along with them for a bit then definitely don't plan in advance - i met people that had just formed groups and tagged along and loved it :smile: Personally though I liked the security of knowing I had my hostels booked and had a plan behind me you can always cancel things like hostels if you really do change your mind !
Has anybody visited Belgrade? It's the final stop on my route going Warsaw - Krakow - Prague - Bratislava - Budapest - Belgrade.

Know very little about it but I hear the nightlife is fantastic. Any tips on good sights to see or places to go out would be appreciated :smile:
Reply 791
Does anybody know of any articles or tips on getting out of the UK, considering Interrail pass isnt valid in your own country? Me girlfriend and I are looking at the cheapest possible flights, but they're still quite pricey (no surprises). Is it worth getting a return too, or should we try and jump on a lfight at the last minute??
Original post by Joe H
Does anybody know of any articles or tips on getting out of the UK, considering Interrail pass isnt valid in your own country? Me girlfriend and I are looking at the cheapest possible flights, but they're still quite pricey (no surprises). Is it worth getting a return too, or should we try and jump on a lfight at the last minute??

When I went this summer I booked flights to my start and from my finish destination. I wouldn't jump on a a flight at the last minute, it will be unbelievably expensive. I would suggest if possible to try to manipulate the route so you are flying at cheap rates, I flew to Berlin which was really cheap and back from Rome which was quite a bit more expensive with Easyjet.
Reply 793
Original post by Chapeau Rouge
When I went this summer I booked flights to my start and from my finish destination. I wouldn't jump on a a flight at the last minute, it will be unbelievably expensive. I would suggest if possible to try to manipulate the route so you are flying at cheap rates, I flew to Berlin which was really cheap and back from Rome which was quite a bit more expensive with Easyjet.

Yeah, we're trying to be as flexible as possible to accommodate. can I ask how much you payed for your flights all in all?
Original post by Banoobie
Hello!

My girlfriend and I are planning to go interrailing this summer and have no ideas where to begin planning. we have been saving up for quite a while and so were thinking about getting two tickets, going as soon as we finish exams in June, come back mid July for a week to recover and then go out again until just before results day?

So what do we need to know? we both love exploring new places and will check out literally anywhere if someone tells us its good. I spent last Easter in Barcelona and loved it so definatly going back there, any particular highlights for people who have been before that we need to see?

Also general advice would be good: How much money will we need? should we bring a tent and spend some nights on beaches? is that legal? where not to go? what to bring etc. etc.

Baring in mind I didn't even bring wellies or a pillow to Reading this year, what should I consider before going?

Thanks in advance :biggrin:

That sounds pretty hardcore, I'm jealous! I can't help with all your questions but I would say in terms of places not to go, I would generally avoid areas that are known for being expensive tourist destinations such as Venice, Nice, Switzerland if you are on a bit of a budget. I can't say much for Nice but Venice is ridiculously expensive and not really suitable for backpacking IMO. Barcelona is a great place and if you're planning on going quite a distance I would really recommend Berlin, it is a really fun city. Generally speaking, the further east you go the cheaper it gets but if you're planning on travelling extensively in Eastern Europe I have heard it is not necessarily worth getting an interrailing ticket as the train tickets are cheap enough though you might want to check that out.

Also a little note, on some trains they require you to have an extra seat reservation in addition to your interrail pass which can be quite annoying. I went from Munich to Florence this summer, travelled 6 and a half hours on a train through the Alps for nothing, switched at Bologna for a half an hour journey completely in a tunnel and got fined 20 euros for not buying a 10 euro seat reservation for this train! In addition to this, if any nice German train worker tells you you do not need a seat reservation because the Italians cannot be bothered to follow it up, do not listen to him! :tongue: There are ways around this, we went from Florence to Rome on a longer detour so we would only have to pay 3 euros instead of 10. A good way to research is by going on bahn.de and typing in your potential journeys to see the journey times etc. If it says you need a compulsory reservation then uncheck "prefer fast connections" and you will get alternative journeys with ideally no reservation charge.

Anyway, enjoy interrailing, wish I had the money to go again :frown:
Original post by Joe H
Yeah, we're trying to be as flexible as possible to accommodate. can I ask how much you payed for your flights all in all?

If I remember rightly, it was about 95 quid altogether for a flight out to Berlin and a flight back from Rome in the first weeks of September. Remember that if you are going in the height of summer it will be more expensive so if you are planning on flying from a typical summery destination eg. Spain, Italy, it may be better to start/finish there at the point where you will be in a lower season. I remember when deciding on my route that the flights out to Rome were really expensive at end/beginning of August but much cheaper in mid September, whereas Berlin seemed fairly standardised.
Reply 796
Original post by EssexDan86
Has anybody visited Belgrade? It's the final stop on my route going Warsaw - Krakow - Prague - Bratislava - Budapest - Belgrade.

Know very little about it but I hear the nightlife is fantastic. Any tips on good sights to see or places to go out would be appreciated :smile:

I haven't visited Belgrade by Interrailing, but I have been there when younger as my Mum's Serbian. I would say it was a very nice place, would recommend seeing the Kalemegdan Park as the views over the Danube are lovely :biggrin:
So I'm planning on doing the 10 countries in 22 days roughly going to Belgium > Netherlands > Denmark > Sweden > Germany > Austria > Switzerland > Spain > France then back to London. I'm planning on doing it alone any recommendations for places to visit other than the obvious. I'm a total noob when it comes to travelling (never left the UK) so any help is appreciated :smile:
Original post by nooneyouknow
So I'm planning on doing the 10 countries in 22 days roughly going to Belgium > Netherlands > Denmark > Sweden > Germany > Austria > Switzerland > Spain > France then back to London. I'm planning on doing it alone any recommendations for places to visit other than the obvious. I'm a total noob when it comes to travelling (never left the UK) so any help is appreciated :smile:

I think you may have got the wrong end of the stick a bit, the pass doesn't cover you for 10 countries in 22 days, but 10 journeys in 22 days so this will definitely be very much a whistlestop tour if you plan on doing all that which I wouldn't really recommend. If I were you I would cut down how many countries you want to visit because otherwise you'll just find yourself constantly on trains which is a bit of a boring way to spend your time!
Reply 799
Original post by Chapeau Rouge
That sounds pretty hardcore, I'm jealous! I can't help with all your questions but I would say in terms of places not to go, I would generally avoid areas that are known for being expensive tourist destinations such as Venice, Nice, Switzerland if you are on a bit of a budget. I can't say much for Nice but Venice is ridiculously expensive and not really suitable for backpacking IMO. Barcelona is a great place and if you're planning on going quite a distance I would really recommend Berlin, it is a really fun city. Generally speaking, the further east you go the cheaper it gets but if you're planning on travelling extensively in Eastern Europe I have heard it is not necessarily worth getting an interrailing ticket as the train tickets are cheap enough though you might want to check that out.

Also a little note, on some trains they require you to have an extra seat reservation in addition to your interrail pass which can be quite annoying. I went from Munich to Florence this summer, travelled 6 and a half hours on a train through the Alps for nothing, switched at Bologna for a half an hour journey completely in a tunnel and got fined 20 euros for not buying a 10 euro seat reservation for this train! In addition to this, if any nice German train worker tells you you do not need a seat reservation because the Italians cannot be bothered to follow it up, do not listen to him! :tongue: There are ways around this, we went from Florence to Rome on a longer detour so we would only have to pay 3 euros instead of 10. A good way to research is by going on bahn.de and typing in your potential journeys to see the journey times etc. If it says you need a compulsory reservation then uncheck "prefer fast connections" and you will get alternative journeys with ideally no reservation charge.

Anyway, enjoy interrailing, wish I had the money to go again :frown:

Haha thank you, it will be hardcore!

yes I have heard eastern Europe is really nice and cheap which is good because more money equals more travel! I met a nice eastern European couple in a bar the other week and they recommended Krakow and Serbia and Croatia, do these sound good?

ahh if only we were more certain of where we want to go! I ask my girl and she just says "everywhere!" so looks like we are going everywhere :smile:

thanks for your advice, when would you recommend booking flights out of England? were planning to get a plane either to Amsterdam or Berlin or Barcelona :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest