The Student Room Group

Asian Wedding

Hey - I have a dilemma and need some GOOD advice

Basically there is a family wedding coming up on Sunday, my cousins. Were having the works - henna, hair, makeup, designer outfits - great care etc etc my mums spending a bomb. But i really dont wanna go

Firstly, everyone going - I don't like..our family is really bitchy and all the girls are just going to backchat about one another. Don;t get me wrong, im perfectly capable of sitting through that but why should i have to? its not my thing and i have exams - theres far better ways of spending my time

but its only one day right? one day of hell, in a stuffy hall with bitchy girls who just judge and a horrible atmosphere - hmmm, over dramatic?

But then i relally wanna wear these new outfits and get my hair and makeup done - thats the upside....

If i dont go my family will be annoyed - what to do?!

Scroll to see replies

:smile: go, spend time with your family and enjoy yourself, you'll enjoy it more than you expect to!

I always build it up to be really unbearable in my head, then when I actually go it's not so bad :smile:
Reply 2
RevisingHard
Hey - I have a dilemma and need some GOOD advice

Basically there is a family wedding coming up on Sunday, my cousins. Were having the works - henna, hair, makeup, designer outfits - great care etc etc my mums spending a bomb. But i really dont wanna go

Firstly, everyone going - I don't like..our family is really bitchy and all the girls are just going to backchat about one another. Don;t get me wrong, im perfectly capable of sitting through that but why should i have to? its not my thing and i have exams - theres far better ways of spending my time

but its only one day right? one day of hell, in a stuffy hall with bitchy girls who just judge and a horrible atmosphere - hmmm, over dramatic?

But then i relally wanna wear these new outfits and get my hair and makeup done - thats the upside....

If i dont go my family will be annoyed - what to do?!

Finally glad to find someone who thinks like me.. I've got my cousins one to attend to in the summer, but I got out of it by booking a ticket abroad :yay:

But don't get me wrong, dresssing up and doing the mendi, henna stuff for girls looks pretty fun.. And just for 1 day, you might as well.. And I get what you mean, coz I've got similar family who just bitches/back chats, and we don't get on .. Only times we see one another is either wedding or funeral functions. I'm pretty distant to them, but could be a chance to get a bit close to your family? I know its a tad bit late for myself.. Also, on the plus side, there is always good indian dishes to look forward too :teeth:

Btw one you attending to, is it the traditional asian wedding with the reception before/after or a modernised version which cuts the crap out with the long vidhis.. ??
Reply 3
You should go if it's important to your family that you be there. Take your revision with you and if you get bored go and sit in the car and revise. :tongue:
Reply 4
you might meet a good-looking boy..who could potentially be ure husband.... :p: just kidding !!!!

Nah go, its an oppurtunity to dress up ....just try to enjoy it...in the worst case, you could just try and enjoy the food ?? :biggrin:
Just go init.. there will be free food, and get some head off an asian sket.
Reply 6
Just go,and ignore the other girls :h:

Asian weddings generally tend to be fun,although I'm talking about weddings in Pakistan,rather than England :dontknow:
Reply 7
Pedus
Finally glad to find someone who thinks like me.. I've got my cousins one to attend to in the summer, but I got out of it by booking a ticket abroad :yay:

That made lol. Was that really your reason, or partly, for going abroad then? To miss your cousins wedding? Haha
Reply 8
insanetothebrain
Just go init.. there will be free food, and get some head off an asian sket.

The OP is a girl :|
Reply 9
Go, it'll be a good break for you from revision too.
Reply 10
Pedus

But don't get me wrong, dresssing up and doing the mendi, henna stuff for girls looks pretty fun.. And just for 1 day, you might as well.. And I get what you mean, coz I've got similar family who just bitches/back chats, and we don't get on .. Only times we see one another is either wedding or funeral functions. I'm pretty distant to them, but could be a chance to get a bit close to your family? I know its a tad bit late for myself.. Also, on the plus side, there is always good indian dishes to look forward too :teeth:

Btw one you attending to, is it the traditional asian wedding with the reception before/after or a modernised version which cuts the crap out with the long vidhis.. ??

well weve had the nikah henna and stuff - which many people werent invited to but sunday is just the wedding in the reception! ooh im really not into bitchiness im the kinda person who needs to see a good purpose and good consequences to things - plus i have to cancel a driving lesson for it - which my parents have fored me to do...dunno and you know all the pervy guys - gosh asian perverts are the worst lol
Reply 11
Meh, go in the car and revise,
i know how you feel i got one coming up but dont feeli like going, but i will do.

but just dress up ignore them eat and come back, it will be over before you know it.

the foods gotta be worth it.
SyedT
Just go,and ignore the other girls :h:

Asian weddings generally tend to be fun,although I'm talking about weddings in Pakistan,rather than England :dontknow:

Dancing prostitues in pakistani weddings seems to be a more common thing, looking at youtube. :eek:

Such a shame for the 'Islamic Republic of Pakistan'.

No offense intended.
Reply 14
Aww op, i feel sorry for you, its hard to get out of weddings, especially if its close family. I hate weddings, and didnt attend my cousins, till this day shes still annoyed at me for not comming and making an effort. I didnt really have much of an excuse, except for the fact that i hate weddings with a passion. It doesnt seem like a celebration anymore, just another event where the women can gossip, while the girls huddle around a table and bitch about others. (thats whats happened at the few weddings i did attend)

You should go though, the foods yummy, you've got your outfit, and you can get all dressed up, plus you'll avoid the awkward 'why didnt you attend our wedding' talk with the newly married couple. :/
Reply 15
Magic_007
Dancing prostitues in pakistani weddings seems to be a more common thing, looking at youtube. :eek:

If you start trusting youtube to give you accurate views of everything,then you know you're getting desperate :p:
Reply 16
dont go if you dont want to, having exams is a great excuse since families put great emphasis on education :tongue:
Are you the loser of the family? Everyone bitches so why don't you go and biatch about other too? Thats in a girls DNA... Every girl does it! Please don't deny that girls!
SyedT
If you start trusting youtube to give you accurate views of everything,then you're getting desperate mate :p:

I know that but it seems the amount of videos seem to be increasing, they also including dancing transvestites. They have money thrown at them and their pimp picks them up.

It just made me a little uneasy. That is all. I'm just hoping that this crap stops in Pakistan and world-wide.

Sorry to the OP> I know it's not relevant, but ensure when you get married, that your husband doesn't hire prostitues to dance for his 'stag night'.
Reply 19
RevisingHard
well weve had the nikah henna and stuff - which many people werent invited to but sunday is just the wedding in the reception! ooh im really not into bitchiness im the kinda person who needs to see a good purpose and good consequences to things - plus i have to cancel a driving lesson for it - which my parents have fored me to do...dunno and you know all the pervy guys - gosh asian perverts are the worst lol

Tell me about it!? Especially the after-party celebrations when everyones jammin on the dance floor and you get some freshies givin you the eyes lol..

Guess with indian parents, you can't reason with them. They'll always find a way to get things done, so don't get me wrong, but I don't think you'll be getting a 1 way ticket out of the wedding lol.. Your parents would either give you a chance to go, or you'll be forced to go..

:ahee:

Latest

Trending

Trending