The Student Room Group

How to stop procrastinating?

Over these past few weeks I've been continuously procrastinating when I have a load of work to catch up on and resubmit but I can't find the motivation and I end up looking at insignificant stuff online etc. Is there any way that I can prevent myself from doing this? I've blocked my facebook account for a while now but there's always other sites to go on.

I know I only have a little while left and this Access course is basically the only way for my future to rise instead of fall again.

Are there any special techniques to help me to not procrastinate that people use?
Introduce a magnet to your hard drive, should stop you wasting time on the internets!
Reply 2
Promise yourself a reward fo finishing something, lock the fidge and give someone else the key if you must. :wink:
Reply 3
Making it harder for yourself to access procrastination related activities is usually futile and in some cases worse than doing nothing at all. It becomes a challenge for you to find other things to procrastinate with, as long as you stay within the 'rules'; and in the end you'll find you prefer sitting around and staring into space to actually working.

Have you ever seen the end of Fight Club, where the narrator realises the only thing stopping him is himself? It's exactly like that. You are entirely free to click off TSR, close facebook, pull out your books and homework and start doing your bloody work. That's all you need to do. No one is forcing you to go on TSR. It's simple, but then nothing simple is ever easy is it?
Plan your day/work in smaller blocks (so instead of "I'll write this essay today" plan to write the introduction of the essay in the next hour then take a break, then write a section then take a break etc etc etc).

Talk to your tutors and ask them if they'll look over your work on a certain date LONG before the actual deadline. If someone else is checking up on you and expecting you to be finished by a certain point then you're more likely to at least have something to show them - it spreads the pressure out instead of ignoring things and hoping you'll manage to cram it all in at the last minute.
Sir_Vile_Minds
Over these past few weeks I've been continuously procrastinating when I have a load of work to catch up on and resubmit but I can't find the motivation and I end up looking at insignificant stuff online etc. Is there any way that I can prevent myself from doing this? I've blocked my facebook account for a while now but there's always other sites to go on.

I know I only have a little while left and this Access course is basically the only way for my future to rise instead of fall again.

Are there any special techniques to help me to not procrastinate that people use?

you basically need a study space. where there are absolutely no distractions, where you can comfortably do your work with everything you need.

no televisions, no internet or music ( i sometimes have music, but TBH its a distraction)

a good example is a library, but a better idea is if your on your own with your thoughts like a spare room which nobody uses
All my study takes place within my bedroom as it's the place I feel most comfortable being in as it's "my" space where there's no other people etc. Libraries don't do it for me because there's always the hum of voices whereas in my bedroom I can put on some music and concentrate.
Reply 7
I've had problems procrastinating this year too, even though it's the first year that counts for my degree and I can't go abroad without passing. I have a German exam on Mon and I've not even got through all the material I have to learn for it but I find breaking things down into chunks makes it easier, as in one topic or bid handout at a time. I'll spend an hour one one topic, have 10 mins break (little and often) and then go back to studying. Make sure you eat properly as well and use past exam papers so you know what you're up against!
I find disconnecting my internet helps as well as chunks and exercising. (Seriously, it's amazing the difference exercise will do to you, I feel so much better since starting running a few weeks ago)
Reply 9
I've downloaded Stay Focused - an extension for google chrome, which allows me up to 20 mins on Facebook + tsr before blocking the sites, forcing me to work :smile: it's sort of useful. Today I uninstalled the app, did no work and watched four episodes of greys anatomy, the cup final football match thing and made banana bread. Tomorrow I am getting my arse down to the library!!!!
I used to be INCREDIBLE at procrastination (I still am) but recently hit a point where I realised that the rest of my future will depend on the grades I get in the summer, so perhaps it was a good idea to start doing some actual work.

In my case, I just needed motivation (getting to a good uni/possibly doing medicine) to force myself to work. I switch my laptop off, instead of having it on in the background (like I used to), I have also temporarily blocked my facebook (:yep:) which has saved me ridiculous amounts of time, and make myself work downstairs on the dining room table, so I have plenty of space and direct sunlight (the desk in my room is in a corner, and isn't very light... small things like this).

Drink lots and lots of water (I was addicted to caffeine, but water is equally good in keeping my concentration levels up) and have LOTS of LITTLE breaks, like literally just every 40 mins or so get up and walk around/go outside/do whatever for 5 minutes. Don't go on the internet though, otherwise 5 minutes will evolve into just another 5 minutes, then just another 10, then. Oh. 2 hours have gone...

Also, I felt like I was drowning in the amount of revision I have for each subject, but once you break it down into study topics/sections, I feel a huge sense of relief when I've completed another topic.. etc. It's so much less intimidating to have smaller sections to complete, and less overwhelming.

Good luck :h:
Reply 11
I feel a bit of a hypocrite giving advice on how not to procratinate but still I've mastered it once or twice and there are a few things which helped me- they might sound simple but seriously easier said than done...

A completely devoted study area where there is just you and your work no facebook, no tsr.

Breaking my work up into chunks helps, when I've given myself unrealistic amounts to get through in a small period it just stresses me out and I end up literally running away from the work.

Erm yeah... that is all I can offer.....
Sir_Vile_Minds
All my study takes place within my bedroom as it's the place I feel most comfortable being in as it's "my" space where there's no other people etc. Libraries don't do it for me because there's always the hum of voices whereas in my bedroom I can put on some music and concentrate.

what do you do when you procrastinate? you mentioned face book, so get rid of the internet, i.e. go somewhere where there is nothing but you and your work
TheSophist
what do you do when you procrastinate? you mentioned face book, so get rid of the internet, i.e. go somewhere where there is nothing but you and your work

I either watch reurureruns online, go on youtube for hours at a time, look at random websites (which, at times I end up doing after spotting a like when researching) or reading a book.

Bad as it may sound but I mainly use the internet for research. As mentioned above procrast takes place in my bedroom.

As for exercise I walk to college (around a kilometre away from my house)each day for 40 minutes and back through the park.

I think it's partly because I'm not used to studying this much as I didn't do any proper studying etc in my GCSEs and previous college time so as of 9 months ago it's all new to me.
I write a to do list and then timetable when I will complete them. I usually find myself procrastinating due to not knowing where to start or finding the workload overwhelming, but organising a routine usually solves this :smile:
Reply 15
If you don't need the internet, then disable the connection whilst your doing your work and do it for 30/45 minutes then take a 15 minute break then 30/45 again and so on.... use your timer on your phone if you have it so you don't go over the time.

It'll be hard for you to get back to work after your first 15 minute break, so just reward yourself in that break and just keep thinking.. if you stick to this routine you won't feel bad and the quicker you get things done and over with... the less stressed you'll be and then you won't feel bad. It's up to you to have the willpower not to procrastinate, and it's all about thinking about the consequences if you were to leave things to the last minute! This is just an example anyway.

Latest

Trending

Trending