Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

The Banned Calculator List

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack-)
    Got me one of these too, its a beast of a calculator!
    It's great; normally if I have to lend it to someone I'll put it into matrix mode to confuse them.

Haha reminds me of the time we changed all of our S1 teacher's calculators into table mode for her year 8 class. Their faces!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LydiaC121)
    I have a Casio fx-3650P. heeheehee
    and it's banned :P
    Why's it banned? I've got the 991es and they don't seem that different.

Regards, Cynicism
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    The people walking around the exam hall didn't even know you were allowed to go to the toilet. I think the idea of calculators may be a bit beyond their understanding. >_>
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand - my calculator (casio fx 9100?) - I can actually programme things into it - like I made a program that can work out some of my core 4 stuff for me. Surely that's not allowed?
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Texas Instruments: TI-84 for c2 ?!?!?! anyone
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    TI-83+ allowed? Hoping for a quick reply
    • 56 followers

ReputationRep:
    If its not on the list, it's fine.

Although, bring a spare one just incase.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I attached a document from Edexcel about the calculators.

"We frequently receive queries about two speci?c calculators ?– the Casio fx991es and the Texas TI-83 and TI-84 (all versions). These calculators can be used."

Hope this helps!
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: pdf Calculators in EDEXCEL Exams.pdf (42.6 KB, 1170 views)
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have a Casio fx-9860GII is that okay?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vulpes)
    Hey, I attached a document from Edexcel about the calculators.

"We frequently receive queries about two speci?c calculators ?– the Casio fx991es and the Texas TI-83 and TI-84 (all versions). These calculators can be used."

Hope this helps!
    thanks...it seems mine is allowed then
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    By the looks of it the casio fx991es can do integration with limits and find out the area even using trig, so why is it allowed? I use a standard casio fx83 and as far as i know it has no integration :/
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teshnit)
    By the looks of it the casio fx991es can do integration with limits and find out the area even using trig, so why is it allowed? I use a standard casio fx83 and as far as i know it has no integration :/
    :shh:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ksahnan)
    :shh:
    Hahahaa i bought a used fx991es for £6.50 off ebay hour after posting that, by god its amazing factorises, does quadratic formulae too, diffs, integrates with limits :P Maybe i should keep this quite but its only a gain for those who are clever enough to know the methods anyway, not like an idiot can just type it in and expect full marks, deffo gna be of great use just for final checks at the end of the exam.
    • 51 followers

ReputationRep:
    loadsa further math students in school have those calculators that can draw graphs for u...its so annoying i mean why are they allowed?? those things make the freakin graph for u!! :eek:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hahahaa i bought a used fx991es for £6.50 off ebay hour after posting that, by god its amazing factorises, does quadratic formulae too, diffs, integrates with limits :P Maybe i should keep this quite but its only a gain for those who are clever enough to know the methods anyway, not like an idiot can just type it in and expect full marks, deffo gna be of great use just for final checks at the end of the exam.
    Word of caution, don't expect to get FULL marks by just writing down the answer as you know you need to show them how you got there take 5 seconds and just put down some working like if it was a quadratic just put down the (x-a) (x+b) = 0, get me? Got this like 2 years ago it's a wonder that not many peeps are aware of its functionality. I've only met one other person who's got it and she has no clue how to use it! yeah and remember :shh: keep this on the low!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ksahnan)
    Word of caution, don't expect to get FULL marks by just writing down the answer as you know you need to show them how you got there take 5 seconds and just put down some working like if it was a quadratic just put down the (x-a) (x+b) = 0, get me? Got this like 2 years ago it's a wonder that not many peeps are aware of its functionality. I've only met one other person who's got it and she has no clue how to use it! yeah and remember :shh: keep this on the low!

Haha dont worry I'm borderline A* and never had this calc before, so i know exam technique but it's a bargain at £6.50 just to run through values at the end of the exam make sure the calc agrees with final answers,. Haha you shouldnt be keeping it that much of a secret, its not that much of a deal, just a helpful aid, :P although nice to keep boundaries low, but idc much, wouldn't make too much of a difference
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cool_beans1993)
    loadsa further math students in school have those calculators that can draw graphs for u...its so annoying i mean why are they allowed?? those things make the freakin graph for u!! :eek:
    They're graphical calculators and you could buy one if you wanted to - they're not banned.

It's allowed because it doesn't do symbolic integration - it gives an answer if you put limits in but doesn't say for example, 2x becomes x2+c. The calculator is more of a checking tool for me than anything.
    Babe of a calculator. I know that my C2 and FP1 marks are going to be much better than my C1 marks purely on the fact that I can check for stupid mistakes. Such as 2-1=3. Which I actually wrote.
    • 44 followers

ReputationRep:
    Our school checked calculators.

However, there's a lad in my class who bought this pretty cool calculator which had two detachable keypads. He was told he was allowed one keypad, but not the other in the exam, so he just used the permitted one. Not sure if it's in the list or not, I can't remember which type it was.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    so is the ti nspire cx NON CAS allowed in a level exams? thanks
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    Are these the only banned calcutors?

As far as I know, my school does not permit ANY programmable calculator.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: January 9, 2014
New on TSR

A-level results day

Is it about making your parents proud?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.