The Student Room Group

2010 A2 Wjec (ell) English Literature And Language Thread - Wuthering Heights

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
jabed786
I do AQA AS-level English LangLit. Just did my exam today which was on WH and A Streetcar Named Desire. It was a difficult analytical essay.

I had to talk about Lockwoods attitudes of two characters he has met. So I wasnt sure how to implement language features. Most of it was like contextual stuff =/ And for some reason I forgot I could only do two characters so started talking about Joseph for a bit instead of Nelly Dean.
Oh well my Streetcar Named Desire creative essay went well.

Ahh hopefully it'll have went well!! Context is my weakpoint I think :colondollar:
mel0n
Our class has mainly focused on other texts we've studied on the course I.e we did Macbeth for coursework, Stuart and Once in a house on fire for the exam last year, and also the poetry anthology from last year. Apart from that we've looked at small extracts from various texts, though this time the question will ask us to talk about 'one or more other text', meaning we can, if we want, compare WH to just one other text.

May I ask, what sort of plan do you use??

I've studied Dracula, Jayne Eyre and The Great Gatsby in my own time. In class we have looked at last years poetry and our coursework plays, Othello and a Street Car Named Desire. I don't plan on mentioning everything I have looked at, but it just gives me a variety of choice.
Reply 22
I'm doing this exam as well, only I'm doing the text 'Hard Times'. Any of you guys got a list of themes for WH we can compare with HT? :P
Reply 23
Love, revenge, power, status, nature vs culture... It's all I can think of from the top of my head :colondollar:
Reply 24
blatchcorn
I've studied Dracula, Jayne Eyre and The Great Gatsby in my own time. In class we have looked at last years poetry and our coursework plays, Othello and a Street Car Named Desire. I don't plan on mentioning everything I have looked at, but it just gives me a variety of choice.

Oh cool, how do you plan your essays? I'm good with Section A planning but Section B is just awkward -_-
Reply 25
mel0n
Love, revenge, power, status, nature vs culture... It's all I can think of from the top of my head :colondollar:

I think that WH and HT are probably the two main texts to be studied, so the thematic question would probably have to weave in both quite well. HT also deals with love, power, status, family, class, er...education, parenting, gender. I think a great question would be on 'relationships' because there's so much to say. I hope they don't choose something stupid because apparently the questions in January re-sits were awful on the literature section. I wouldn't know what to do if they brought up, say, the presentation of food in your chosen text. :o:
mel0n
Oh cool, how do you plan your essays? I'm good with Section A planning but Section B is just awkward -_-

I don't really know about Section B; I'll probably just break down what ever common theme the question is based around into sections and use PEE to form paragraphs within those sections. What do you think is the best approach?
Reply 27
blatchcorn
I don't really know about Section B; I'll probably just break down what ever common theme the question is based around into sections and use PEE to form paragraphs within those sections. What do you think is the best approach?

Hmm I'm not sure. I usually draw a grid with a column for the main text, a supporting text, and then a third column for 'other' where I can bring others in. Down the side I've been putting 'characterization' 'setting and location' 'narrative technique' 'lexis and imagery' 'grammar and syntax' and whatever else then jot down notes for how the theme is presented through each of those factors. Sounds better than it is tbh. I basically took half from one plan suggestion we were given (characterization/setting/narrative) and the other half from how I plan Section A (structure/lexis/grammar/phonology) or whatever so it's really muddled up and the essays follow no proper structure :frown:
Anyone have any essays plans or notes they'd like to share? Particulalry on setting/location
I feel mine don't go into enough detail for the wuthering heights section considering that has to take up more than half of the answer.
Reply 29
sugarfairy02
Anyone have any essays plans or notes they'd like to share? Particulalry on setting/location
I feel mine don't go into enough detail for the wuthering heights section considering that has to take up more than half of the answer.

I don't have anything :frown:

For setting and place the main things I can think of are nature/culture and how TG and WH are opposites, presenting opposite worlds and almost highlighting the contrast between heaven/hell. :/

I still don't know how I'll plan!! Maybe I'll choose how the characters/setting presents the theme in question then find supporting extracts and discuss them...
This is really annoying me. Does anyone know in what chapter Nelly combines Heathcliff's and Catherine's locks of hair in a neckless/lockett-like piece of jewelry? It's some point after Heathcliff returns and there is tension between him and Edgar Linton.
Reply 31
blatchcorn
This is really annoying me. Does anyone know in what chapter Nelly combines Heathcliff's and Catherine's locks of hair in a neckless/lockett-like piece of jewelry? It's some point after Heathcliff returns and there is tension between him and Edgar Linton.

She does this :afraid:?? What significance does it have?? I'll have a look in my York notes book in a while and see if it's in the chapter summaries in there :smile:

Also, anyone know anything I can compare the them of love to?? I have the poems from the anthology but besides that, nothing :/
mel0n
She does this :afraid:?? What significance does it have?? I'll have a look in my York notes book in a while and see if it's in the chapter summaries in there :smile:

Also, anyone know anything I can compare the them of love to?? I have the poems from the anthology but besides that, nothing :/

I wasn't aware of her doing that either, can't say it seems significant.
Love can be compared with Romeo and Juliet
Or twilight/ eclipse
The sense of forbidden love, the power of the love, the love triangles and stuff.
mel0n

Its not in York Notes but im 100% sure I read it; it symbolises Heathcliff and Catherine being one - which is what Catherine claims throughout.
Reply 34
blatchcorn
Its not in York Notes but im 100% sure I read it; it symbolises Heathcliff and Catherine being one - which is what Catherine claims throughout.

hmm I thought the biggest thing indicating that they are one is when she says 'I am Heathcliff'. :/
Reply 35
sugarfairy02
I wasn't aware of her doing that either, can't say it seems significant.
Love can be compared with Romeo and Juliet
Or twilight/ eclipse
The sense of forbidden love, the power of the love, the love triangles and stuff.

I've never studied Romeo and Juliet :frown: and we were told not to compare to twilight :colondollar: lol.
mel0n
I've never studied Romeo and Juliet :frown: and we were told not to compare to twilight :colondollar: lol.

Really?:confused:
Why not? :O
Ermm, you could google stuff on romeo and Juliet
or use spark notes?
mel0n
hmm I thought the biggest thing indicating that they are one is when she says 'I am Heathcliff'. :/

Yes thats what it highlights; but in the exam, its going to be far more better to find something that symbolises them together rather than a simple statement. :cool:
Reply 38
blatchcorn
Yes thats what it highlights; but in the exam, its going to be far more better to find something that symbolises them together rather than a simple statement. :cool:

Why would it be?? You can linguistically analyse the quotation and say how it presents love. I think a fair bit could be written about 'I am Heathcliff'. I suppose it depends on the question though. I'm really hoping for a question on love, lol. I don't know anything much about education/religion and I also fail to talk about context relevantly, no matter what the theme in question.
mel0n
Why would it be?? You can linguistically analyse the quotation and say how it presents love. I think a fair bit could be written about 'I am Heathcliff'. I suppose it depends on the question though. I'm really hoping for a question on love, lol. I don't know anything much about education/religion and I also fail to talk about context relevantly, no matter what the theme in question.

I found out that hair thingy happens at the end of Chapter 16, if you want to check it out for yourself. I hope for a love question too, if not death or nature (surely, one of those three must come up).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending