The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

fridaystan
It is obviously very important to muslims that people do not draw Muhammed so I think it's really unnecessary to do so. Why not just respect their religion even though you might not understand why not drawing is important?

I wish everyone had thought like you :frown:
Reply 61
jonathan3909
People like you don't even respect Jesus(pbuh):s-smilie:

Why do you refuse to respond to my post?
Moe Lester
Couldn't give a **** tbh.

I can't believe people actually care! Muslim or non-muslim, don't they have important things to worry about - by getting sweaty and angry your provoking exactly the reaction hoped for by the organisers of this competition. It's a cartoon ffs, can't you just let Allah deal with it (if you believe in this sort of thing) and turn the other cheek, take the moral high-ground? .etc. .etc.

:ditto:

A great post.
jonathan3909
\

Let them all wait~

jonathan3909
***** upon you!Had you loved Jesus(pbuh),you would be standing up!

jonathan3909
People like you don't even respect Jesus(pbuh)

Jon we talked about this before - defend your faith rationally and logically, or risk doing it more damage than those intending to attack it.

You do have a point hidden in your 'arguments' somewhere - it is wrong to deliberately perform an action knowing that it will offend and anger others. Of course, it is also wrong to prevent others from expressing themselves. All that is needed here is a bit of self-control, consideration and perspective, from both sides.
jonathan3909
***** upon you!Had you loved Jesus(pbuh),you would be standing up!

What are you even trying to say?
spread_logic_not_hate
Jon we talked about this before - defend your faith rationally and logically, or risk doing it more damage than those intending to attack it.

You do have a point hidden in your 'arguments' somewhere - it is wrong to deliberately perform an action knowing that it will offend and anger others. Of course, it is also wrong to prevent others from expressing themselves. All that is needed here is a bit of self-control, consideration and perspective, from both sides.

:smile:
Reply 66
fridaystan
It is obviously very important to muslims that people do not draw Muhammed so I think it's really unnecessary to do so. Why not just respect their religion even though you might not understand why not drawing is important?

Everyone has something important they'd rather not have spoken about/ depicted, but if we pandered to everyone we'd have absolutely no freedom of speech whatsoever. We are now stuck in the position that Islam is above criticism, when it is the most morally reprehensible religion on the face of the planet. I'm sure Christians don't like the almost constant piss taking, but thankfully they aren't violent.
nolongerhearthemusic
What are you even trying to say?

Can'y you hear as your username suggests:yep:
Reply 68
spread_logic_not_hate

Wrong.

It is wrong to deliberately perform an action for the purpose of offending and angering others.

And that's not what this protest is about.

The mere fact that it will cause anger and offence is not sufficient reason not to do it.

Arguing for women's rights no doubt offends and angers some people. Does that mean we shouldn't do it?
Kralizec
Wrong.

It is wrong to deliberately perform an action for the purpose of offending and angering others.

And that's not what this protest is about.

The mere fact that it will cause anger and offence is not sufficient reason not to do it.

Arguing for women's rights no doubt offends and angers some people. Does that mean we shouldn't do it?

You forgot abortion and gay rights too:p:
Reply 70
Elipsis
Everyone has something important they'd rather not have spoken about/ depicted, but if we pandered to everyone we'd have absolutely no freedom of speech whatsoever. We are now stuck in the position that Islam is above criticism, when it is the most morally reprehensible religion on the face of the planet. I'm sure Christians don't like the almost constant piss taking, but thankfully they aren't violent.

Minus the bolded part exactly this.

I don't believe Islam is significantly worse than most other religions.
Elipsis
They claim to believe in Jesus and Moses, but in almost all majority Muslim states bibles are banned, and you get spat on if you go to church. It's amazing to compare their treatment of other religions with how they themselves expect to be treated.

You seem remarkably ill informed. I'm not sure how true what you're saying is, but you should know that you don't need a Bible to believe in Jesus or Moses. The Torah and the Koran are both good examples of this.
You should also not stereotype Muslim people. Just because the Taliban thinks something doesn't mean all Muslims do.

Joluk
The reason it started was because south park had a really small and unoffensive part in their show which had the prophet mohammed in it. Queue hundreds of muslim death threats and they then announced they cut that part from the show. The fans didn't like the show being censored and created a group to show that muslims can't simply censor things they don't like.

People draw silly pictures of Jesus all the time, yet most christians don't get worked up about it and offended, they simply ignore it. That's what you should be doing, giving such a negative reaction just motivates some unsavoury people to keep on doing it, because they know it offends you so much.

Sure, but making pictures of Jesus is usually seen as a positive thing.

There are lots of Christians worldwide who think that there should be no homosexuality, purely because the bible says there shouldn't be. Is this not the same sort of thing? Until recently (last fifty years) there were laws forbidding sodomy in most predominantly Christian states.

(just so you know, I am Christian)
jonathan3909
:smile:

:smile: back to you - you've got a point here, people should respect your religion and the wishes of its followers, just as the followers should respect those who do not follow it.

Death threats because of a cartoon, however insulting, are unjustified.

Responding to those threats by repeating the insulting action is also unjustified

Let's all grow up a bit, shall we?
Reply 73
Kralizec
Minus the bolded part exactly this.

I don't believe Islam is significantly worse than most other religions.

Their treatment of homosexuals and women is despicable. Sharia law is perhaps the faultiest set of laws created in history.
Reply 74
lemonbits.net :smile:
Reply 75
Well I don't think anybody has the right to tell people who they can and can't draw. I personally don't support the "let's draw Mohammed" thing as it does just set out to provoke, and is totally ridiculous, but those doing it are perfectly allowed to draw him if they please and i'm not one to tell them they can't.
If I was Allah I would be offended you wont even take out the time to type 'Peace be upon him'.
jonathan3909
Can'y you hear as your username suggests:yep:

Are you going to answer me on whether you find depictions of Jesus to be offensive?
Reply 78
Bakes0011
You seem remarkably ill informed. I'm not sure how true what you're saying is, but you should know that you don't need a Bible to believe in Jesus or Moses. The Torah and the Koran are both good examples of this.
You should also not stereotype Muslim people. Just because the Taliban thinks something doesn't mean all Muslims do.

Ill informed? I know people that have gone to Islamic countries for charity work, and they've had to meet secretly to worship or face death. Every day Muslim citizens take it upon themselves to burn churches and kill pastors and preachers. I fail to see how you can claim to value Jesus and Moses, but ban the reading of their teaching - and even kill those who decide to follow said rules.

Face it, Islam is just a cult.
Kralizec
Wrong.

Youre right.You all are performing an action deliberately,for the purpose of proving yourselves Bad-Boys and offending muslims!

Latest

Trending

Trending