The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I would love to go to the theatres but unfortunetly for me, I dont have friends lol...
I think it depends if there is something on which interests them to be honest. Most of the year, I never see anything that appeals to me. But, at Christmas I go every year because there is always something on like Cinderella or Robin Hood or whatever.
MDEH8176
A stereotype I've experienced and found to be true of most gay people. I'm not saying that heterosexual men don't like theatre or that they shouldn't enjoy it, rather that the majority of gay men are quite into the theatre and performing arts.

Whenever I've told my male friends at work that I like the theatre I usually get a response along the lines of "well, you are gay". :confused:

I've never really understood that stereotype, and wonder if it is in some way self-perpetuating.

B4ILER
I would love to go to the theatres but unfortunetly for me, I dont have friends lol...

You could always go alone...
Reply 63
alex_hk90
I've never really understood that stereotype, and wonder if it is in some way self-perpetuating.

You could always go alone...

It's kind of lonely going alone, I have been to the movies alone...
Hvae you ever gone alone?
Reply 64
Aj12
Went to see lord of the rings when i was 15 was pretty immense on stage.

In London? I saw it too but I thought it was pretty **** and the acting was terrible. Only thing that was good in my opinion was the hobbits at the start and the special effects used.

Anyway I think most young people feel put off by the theatre because its "uncool" and they would feel embarrassed if they ever went. I've been dragged to shows by my parents for years and some I must say I have enjoyed, but others have been shyte and have made me fall asleep.
There's a scheme where if your under 26 you get free theatre tickets... called a night less ordinary and run by the arts council... website is here: http://www.anightlessordinary.org.uk/
Besides the fact that it's expensive and there isn't one too close to me, I wouldn't have anyone to go with who would be interested.
Reply 67
Because there is lots of bad theatre - by and large I can ensure enjoyment at the cinema but theatre is very give and take. Personally I've seen many plays and I only liked one (which was so good I promptly saw it again).
Reply 68
And also because the theatre is boring compared to more interactive things - I get far more of a kick out off flying through the air at 40mph on my bike than watching actors.
Reply 69
I do, I love good theatre.

Waiting for Godot was very special. Death of a Salesman was great too, and that's my favourite modern script. Smatterings of decent Shakespeare too, and the Woman in Black was very enjoyable when I was younger.

The History Boys was very well done when I saw it.
Reply 70
dews1290
In London? I saw it too but I thought it was pretty **** and the acting was terrible. Only thing that was good in my opinion was the hobbits at the start and the special effects used.

Couldn't agree more. It was one of the most expensive musicals ever made, but it didn't really do much for me other than being in awe of the special effects. Like The Lion King, the LOTR musical was visually stunning, but didn't offer anything more than that. Explosions and loud bangs are nothing without a good story and cast.
B4ILER

Yes, I have. It's not like you talk during the production anyway so it really isn't that different going alone.
Reply 72
B4ILER

I go to the theatre alone all the time...

There is something that I find very strange in reading this thread: a lot of people only talk about musicals when they talk about the theatre - and looking at most thread on this Theatre and Live Comedy board, I see that musicals are really a big thing. I mean, I used to live in the UK, I know that it is a big thing, especially with this Andrew Lloyd Webber thingy on telly, but I wouldn't have thought that when you say 'theatre', a lot of people assume you mean musicals.
because most of them don't appreciate theatre and prefer to go clubbing or whatever
FrenchGal
I go to the theatre alone all the time...

There is something that I find very strange in reading this thread: a lot of people only talk about musicals when they talk about the theatre - and looking at most thread on this Theatre and Live Comedy board, I see that musicals are really a big thing. I mean, I used to live in the UK, I know that it is a big thing, especially with this Andrew Lloyd Webber thingy on telly, but I wouldn't have thought that when you say 'theatre', a lot of people assume you mean musicals.

Yup... people on this thread are saying "omg it costs £30 minimum, that's why I don't go", well for "ordinary" theatre it doesn't cost that much at all... I am going to blame Lord Lloyd-Webber, High School Musical, Glee, all those other talent shows where people sing a lot from musicals, etc. Though it's pretty obvious that musicals have a wider appeal which is why they're so popular.

I think part of it was the way we're taught about theatre at school. Most of the time we studied play scripts the same way as we studied books. Particularly with Shakespeare, we were given the script and got fed up of trying to decipher it, before going to see the play at the theatre - perhaps it should've been the other way round? I don't know how many kids studying Shakespeare for GCSE English actually get to see the play performed - we did but I'm going to assume my school's lucky as the RSC at Stratford isn't far away (plus, the school or the parents were able to pay). I seem to remember we got sick of over-analysing the language in Richard III, but then when we'd actually seen it on stage it changed people's perceptions completely and, shock, they actually quite enjoyed it.

Also attention spans are going down as people spend more time on the computer, and need something interactive to keep them occupied - I know some people who can't even sit in front of the TV without getting fidgety. Theatre is almost as un-interactive as you can get, it starts once or twice a day in a specific place, at a time that's not of your choosing, and you can't even pause it, so it probably seems really dated to some people.
People just don't think about it. I've given up on telling people at school, except for the teachers, that I'm going to the theatre, because they always look at me like I'm a weirdo. It's ridiculous, tickets for amazing things at the Old Vic are £15 if you're under 26, and no one else I know takes advantage of this. Granted, they probably don't know about it, I only know about it because I spend hours looking for things online.

I'm going to see Enron alone in ten days' time whilst my parents go and see Oliver. They don't want to see it, and won't let me go to London alone, so I took this opportunity to arrange it whilst they do that. Of course, no one at school wanted to go with me.

It's sad, because theatre is one of my passions in life. I think I only started going because my parents took me when I was younger to a few musicals.
Reply 76
TheatreLovely
People just don't think about it. I've given up on telling people at school, except for the teachers, that I'm going to the theatre, because they always look at me like I'm a weirdo. It's ridiculous, tickets for amazing things at the Old Vic are £15 if you're under 26, and no one else I know takes advantage of this. Granted, they probably don't know about it, I only know about it because I spend hours looking for things online.

I'm going to see Enron alone in ten days' time whilst my parents go and see Oliver. They don't want to see it, and won't let me go to London alone, so I took this opportunity to arrange it whilst they do that. Of course, no one at school wanted to go with me.

It's sad, because theatre is one of my passions in life. I think I only started going because my parents took me when I was younger to a few musicals.

So good you're getting to see Enron!! I would have loved to see it, but I didn't have enough time to see it last time I was in London... Was there for four days, saw four plays, but didn't get round to see Enron. Let me know if you enjoyed it!!

I wish I was still under 26 to make the most of all these offers when I'm in London... I'm seeing two play at the Old Vic in the summer, I got £15 tickets for both plays because they are restricted views, I'm hoping it won't be too bad. Also seeing La Bete at the Comedy Theatre (love Mark Rylance...). And planning to see Through a Glass Darkly at the Almeida that same week :biggrin:
Reply 77
unmodified
oh also another little story,

there are some mailing lists you can get on for london productions, and i ended up being offered free tickets to a play in which Maggie Smith was starring! so i quickly accepted! all they asked for was a small - but not obligatory - donation! The play was so so good! and after the show i even got to meet her!! and all for the price of .. ZERO!

just saying..

ps. that was a lot of exclamation marks! i guess i get a bit excited and carried away about these things :biggrin:

What was the play that you saw?
Reply 78
usa1981
What was the play that you saw?

The Lady from Dubuque, about 2/3 years ago :yep:
Reply 79
The theatre is brilliant to be fair. But too lacks the convenience and dirt cheap prices of cinema.

Rather stay at home on the xbox than either though.

Latest