The Student Room Group

Failed my final year :(

Doing a 3 year BSC Computer Science course.

Ive definitely failed my final year. By a long way :frown: Had massive problems with my final year project, missed a load of lectures because of it and now at least failed my exam and probably the project as well.

Does anyone know if there's anything I can do afterwards? Ive not even finished my exams yet so Ive not had the "progress" meeting. Would like to know if all is ruined and doomed and Im back at square one or if there's something I can do...

Is it possible to maybe take a foundation degree instead and then top it up at a different university?

Im sure it depends on the uni Im at but Id like to have some idea what Im in for :frown:
Reply 1
Keitha
Doing a 3 year BSC Computer Science course.

Ive definitely failed my final year. By a long way :frown: Had massive problems with my final year project, missed a load of lectures because of it and now at least failed my exam and probably the project as well.

Does anyone know if there's anything I can do afterwards? Ive not even finished my exams yet so Ive not had the "progress" meeting. Would like to know if all is ruined and doomed and Im back at square one or if there's something I can do...

Is it possible to maybe take a foundation degree instead and then top it up at a different university?

Im sure it depends on the uni Im at but Id like to have some idea what Im in for :frown:

You can't really go ahead with much until you get your results. If you do fail the year, then it's not impossible for the university to allow you to resit examinations, but it's up to your school/department. The results might also be capped.

As a first point of call though, finish your exams, then once they're out of the way, have a word with your personal tutor. If you don't have one, or feel uncomfortable talking to them, then talk to either your course/school rep (both are fellow students), or contact your students' union and ask who to speak to.

If you do fail, and you really want to resit, then I don't see why your computer science school wouldn't let you, even if it is final year. If you pass though, even if you get a 3rd, then don't expect much chance to resit.

If you don't get support, then contact your SU's Education Officer who should definitely help you. If you don't get the reponse you want from anyone, then your last resort is the Academic Appeals and Offences procedures, but honestly, you normally need some form of personal/extenuating circumstances, and if you haven't been seeing a doctor or someone from the university's counselling service, then you're going to struggle to argue your point.

In terms of starting another degree, then you'd be accepting the Certificate of Higher Education from your school and then starting again from scratch really. There's not usually a fast track way about it, so to save yourself 5 years of university work, it's probably best to try and resit the year in my view.

I hope this helps, or at least points you in the right direction, but try not to worry too much about it - these things can usually be sorted out to give you another chance! Hope you get it all sorted :smile:
Good that it's a undergraduate degree. You can do a resit but marks get capped at 40%. If it's a postgraduate degree then you can do a resit only if you meet certain conditions.
Reply 3
everyones worst nightmare

Latest

Trending

Trending