The Student Room Group

English Literature and English Language advice? I think I messed up the exam?

The GCSE exams for both. I'm posting this in the A level section as A level students could give me a better idea. Basically in Language I forgot to write down the topic name and number of the composition I attempted. I have no idea how much I'll lose for this error:frown: . In Lit I messed up my empathy question. I had to write as Borachio (from Much Ado). I accidentally wrote that I(Borachio) and Margaret have been arrested when it wasn't Margaret but a different Character. The rest of my facts were accurate. I was predicted an A* on both. Now I'm just sad:frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't know.

Just wait till the results come out, you probably did much better than you think you did.

I like vampires =)
Reply 2
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Reply 3
maybesBABY
I don't know.

Just wait till the results come out, you probably did much better than you think you did.

I like vampires =)

I hope so.

Coincidentally, I do too.:wink:
Reply 4
Anyone else? Please!
Reply 5
Vampire90210
The GCSE exams for both. I'm posting this in the A level section as A level students could give me a better idea. Basically in Language I forgot to write down the topic name and number of the composition I attempted. I have no idea how much I'll lose for this error:frown: . In Lit I messed up my empathy question. I had to write as Borachio (from Much Ado). I accidentally wrote that I(Borachio) and Margaret have been arrested when it wasn't Margaret but a different Character. The rest of my facts were accurate. I was predicted an A* on both. Now I'm just sad:frown:

Im in the same position, for Lit poetry, they named a poem which I didnt see and wrote about a different one....and I was predicted A* :frown: ...we'll just have to wait and see!
Reply 6
Tainted
Im in the same position, for Lit poetry, they named a poem which I didnt see and wrote about a different one....and I was predicted A* :frown: ...we'll just have to wait and see!

I EARNESTLY HOPE we both do very well. But atleast you didn't mess up both papers. Although people keep telling me not writing the topic isn't a important thing. Still.:frown:
Reply 7
Vampire90210
I EARNESTLY HOPE we both do very well. But atleast you didn't mess up both papers. Although people keep telling me not writing the topic isn't a important thing. Still.:frown:

Thank you, for my mock I got the highest in the year A* with nearly full mark CW, now people are loving the fact I messed up, and I won't come top of the year :frown: . I can't believe I messed up having prepared for soo long!! + I want to take Lit for A Levels.
Reply 8
Tainted
Thank you, for my mock I got the highest in the year A* with nearly full mark CW, now people are loving the fact I messed up, and I won't come top of the year :frown: . I can't believe I messed up having prepared for soo long!! + I want to take Lit for A Levels.

OH! SAME HERE!:yes: Except I got the second highest in Lit and highest in Language. I hope to take A level Lit aswell!
Reply 9
Vampire90210
OH! SAME HERE!:yes: Except I got the second highest in Lit and highest in Language. I hope to take A level Lit aswell!

Lol, good luck!..
Reply 10
Anyone with any solid advice please? I know I'm DESPERATE! Anyone did similar mistakes and still got A's in the exam?
Reply 11
You think that's bad? Everytime I think about what I wrote, I actually feel sick. I wrote that the two poems had the same type of language (archaic language) - which they didn't. Thinking about some of the quotes I explained, I don't think I explained any correctly because I didn't have much knowledge on some of the poems listed yet I had prepared so hard for the exam (I actually wrote an essay the night before the exam on 'relationships' which came up on the back page but I didn't notice the question so that made matters worse). On the OMAM section, I only used 1 quote throughout the whole essay (and we all know when you make a point, you have to back it up) - I don't know what went through me. I think I might get a D but because I got a really high A in my course work, maybe a C overall (I was actually looking to get a solid B or possibly an A but there you go).
Reply 12
BaJ8
You think that's bad? Everytime I think about what I wrote, I actually feel sick. I wrote that the two poems had the same type of language (archaic language) - which they didnt. Thinking about some of the quotes I explained, I don't think I explained any correctly because I didn't have much knowledge on some of the poems listed yet I had prepared so hard for the exam (I actually wrote an essay the night before the exam on 'relationships' which came up on the back page but I didn't notice the question so that made matters worse). On the OMAM section, I only used 1 quote throughout the whole essay (and we all know when you make a point, you have to back it up) - I don't know what went through me. I think I might get a D but because I got a really high A in my course work, maybe a C overall (I was actually looking to get a solid B or possibly an A but there you go).

Don't want to give you false hopes, but I think you can still scrap a B cause of the A in coursework. Poetry questions can be a bit subjective. I hope you do very well. God bless us all! Hopefully!
Reply 13
Vampire90210
Don't want to give you false hopes, but I think you can still scrap a B cause of the A in coursework. Poetry questions can be a bit subjective. I hope you do very well. God bless us all! Hopefully!

I might have picked up other marks that I'm not even aware of so who knows. All I know is that I messed up big time! Good luck with it all anyway, I'm sure what you have done cannot be worse than what I have done!
Reply 14
Any advice anyone?
Reply 15
i thought english langauge was next month?? or are you doing the WJEC board??
Reply 16
Oasis Jnr
i thought english langauge was next month?? or are you doing the WJEC board??

Nope. I'm with CIE. We already had ours. GCSE's will end on 11th June for me. Btw--any advice?
Reply 17
Vampire90210
Nope. I'm with CIE. We already had ours. GCSE's will end on 11th June for me. Btw--any advice?

woah! never heard of CIE and soz cant really give any useful advice
Hello :smile:. In the Lit paper for GCSE I made up 3 quotations from To Kill a Mockingbird and still got an A*. AND at Lit/Lang AS I wrote that a quotation was both metaphorical and alliterative when it was neither. I made a few other mistakes in that paper as well, and still got 60/64 in that question. In terms of facts, I wouldn't worry about making some mistakes like messing up characters or using wrong terminology! ALL examiners are told to mark positive aspects instead of negative ones (it will say this in every mark scheme) so mistakes like those will not affect your mark much at all.

Good luck! Hope that helped :smile:.
Reply 19
.PaperDoll.
Hello :smile:. In the Lit paper for GCSE I made up 3 quotations from To Kill a Mockingbird and still got an A*. AND at Lit/Lang AS I wrote that a quotation was both metaphorical and alliterative when it was neither. I made a few other mistakes in that paper as well, and still got 60/64 in that question. In terms of facts, I wouldn't worry about making some mistakes like messing up characters or using wrong terminology! ALL examiners are told to mark positive aspects instead of negative ones (it will say this in every mark scheme) so mistakes like those will not affect your mark much at all.

Good luck! Hope that helped :smile:.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!:biggrin: I feel very positive that I can manage atleast an A hopefully God willing! And what do you think of not writing a topic number of the composition I attempted out of the choice in Language?

Latest

Trending

Trending