The Student Room Group

English Language GCSE surprise stories?

Has anyone ever got better than they expected for English Language?
Reply 1
I remember last year being stressed about my English Language GCSE and I ended up getting an 8/A*
I feel as though English Language is notoriously known as a 'hard' subject, but looking back on it, teachers honestly just complicate things more than they have to!
Reply 2
Original post by sxlimzz
I remember last year being stressed about my English Language GCSE and I ended up getting an 8/A*
I feel as though English Language is notoriously known as a 'hard' subject, but looking back on it, teachers honestly just complicate things more than they have to!

Can you judge if I you think there’s a chance for me to get a 6 for English Language? I’m exactly doing the same as you did expect I imagine I did way worse than you, I screwed up so bad for it and I badly want and NEED to get 6.

For P1 I crumbled: I messed up Q4 a bit only writing 2 paras (1 about the wrong part of the source) and wrote 1 paragraph for Q2😢, and the remaining questions weren’t amazing either. Overall, that exam went horrible I was stressed, tired and not confident coming into the exam. P2 I had to set the record straight: I started well when I finished Q2 but it whole went downhill once I realized that in Q3 I had written about the wrong source for a good 10 minutes (another mess up). Instead of panicking I moved straight on to Q4, which personally I think I aced and also Q5. At the end I went back to Q3 and managed to write half a page which I think was decent enough to get 3/4 marks hopefully.
Reply 3
Honestly man, I felt the exact same:
I felt as though I completely misanswered all the questions, but I think you've done just fine ! I would just try and recommend that you try and keep it off your mind and try enjoy your summer, and even if you don't get the grade for English Language, you could be saved because most A-Levels only really look for good grades in English Lit. Honeslty, my best advice is to not overthink it!! I'm sure you did amazing and it's just post-exam doubts creeping into your mind. I still think you can get a 6, and who knows, you may even surprise yourself. May I ask what A-Levels you're looking to study?
Reply 4
Original post by sxlimzz
Honestly man, I felt the exact same:
I felt as though I completely misanswered all the questions, but I think you've done just fine ! I would just try and recommend that you try and keep it off your mind and try enjoy your summer, and even if you don't get the grade for English Language, you could be saved because most A-Levels only really look for good grades in English Lit. Honeslty, my best advice is to not overthink it!! I'm sure you did amazing and it's just post-exam doubts creeping into your mind. I still think you can get a 6, and who knows, you may even surprise yourself. May I ask what A-Levels you're looking to study?

I really appreciate your message, it made me feel better. Thank you so much, and rn I can only hope and pray🙏 Regarding your question: I was thinking of doing Business and Economics but I have no 3rd option in mind. I would have liked to have done Physics because I always thought I was decent but I just recently realized I may not be good enough for it.
Yeah in my last teacher-graded essay before exams I was given a 4 (and had been getting 5-7s generally) and really had no idea what to expect in terms of grades, but I got a high 9 (something like 74/80 - I did worse in the paper I thought went far better) in one of my english lang papers and full marks in one of my english lit papers. To be quite honest, I don't think what I produced in the exam was much different to my usual work, so I'm still not quite sure how it happened. It's a really hard subject to judge your own performance in.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Lost Kid
I really appreciate your message, it made me feel better. Thank you so much, and rn I can only hope and pray🙏 Regarding your question: I was thinking of doing Business and Economics but I have no 3rd option in mind. I would have liked to have done Physics because I always thought I was decent but I just recently realized I may not be good enough for it.

It makes me happy to hear I was able to help in some sort of way, I'm sure you did amazing. As regards to your 3rd option, if you have the passion for Physics, once again, don't doubt yourself, go for it! I'm not sure if the school you go to does this as an option, but if they do, maybe Government & Politics?? I know some schools don't offer it, but my main advice would be just to keep your options open for now: Business and Economics is a good duo to have.
what did you end up getting?
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous1118
what did you end up getting?

Sorry for replying very late. I’m not sure if knowing this now will help you anymore, but I ended up getting a 5 at the end which wasn’t what I initially wanted, but I did expect to fail during that period as I remember missing a large chunk of marks in the exams. Looking back at it I was stressing over it so much for no reason as I was never going to involve myself in anything related to English regardless (but ofc I still needed to pass). It’s a year since and I can say even though I haven’t thought about it in a while, I’m very happy with the grade as it’s a strong pass, and now I’m in 6th Form studying 3 A Levels without the need of worrying about English essays ever again
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by Lost Kid
Has anyone ever got better than they expected for English Language?

I did!!!(thank god) I was in the exam hall and nth seemed to go right. My mind went blank and I thought i messed up so badly that i will have to retake.I cried after the exam because i thought that I was so stupid during the exam.I beg and begged my parents to retake my exams if I failed.Turns out I didn't fail and i am pleasantly surprised.
(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest