The Student Room Group

admissions for mature students

Can anyone tell me if it is harder to get into Uni as a mature student - a friend told me that Unis have quotas to meet for numbers of mature students - does this make it harder
Reply 1
Most universities consider you on academic merit, AFAIK, rather than looking at your age. Having said that, getting onto a degree course may be slightly more difficult, given that so many people have been applying over the last couple of years. If there are quotas, I would think that it would work to our benefit, but universities aren't going to admit anyone who doesn't appear capable. To sum up my incoherent rambling, if you're good enough and committed to working damn hard, then yes, you can get into university.
Reply 2
mosser
Can anyone tell me if it is harder to get into Uni as a mature student - a friend told me that Unis have quotas to meet for numbers of mature students - does this make it harder

No, if anything I'd say it was easier.

What you have to understand though is that plain and simple, what matters most is your qualifications.
Reply 3
Many thanks for your replies, I think my quals will be ok I got 2 As and a C and a C at AS level so I am feeling hopeful, will be applying in Sept for entry in 2011 (I have left it too late for entry in Sept 2010) but no worries gives me a bit longer to work and save up some money.

Thanks again Mosser x
Reply 4
mosser
Many thanks for your replies, I think my quals will be ok I got 2 As and a C and a C at AS level so I am feeling hopeful, will be applying in Sept for entry in 2011 (I have left it too late for entry in Sept 2010) but no worries gives me a bit longer to work and save up some money.

Thanks again Mosser x

How old are you? I think most unis (certainly when I was looking) often look for study experience within the last three years.

It's perhaps worth checking because at least in that case you could do an A Level at home or something?
Reply 5
Hi I am 21 I finished my A levels in 2008 do you think this will be ok.

Thanks

Mosser
Reply 6
That should be fine, but it's probably a good idea to email the admissions tutors for the subject and university you're interested in, just to be sure. When I had my interview at Warwick, the interviewer said that as long as I'd got study experience within the last 5 years, that was ok, so I guess it depends on the university. Good luck :smile:
Reply 7
Zinfandel
No, if anything I'd say it was easier.

What you have to understand though is that plain and simple, what matters most is your qualifications.

I respectfully disagree, having been subjected to three university interviews. From discussions with the tutors it became apparent that, for mature students, experience counts for much more than qualifications. They simply require students to have undertaken some form of recent academic study within the last five or so years. I had an offer from Exeter requiring me to just pass the Access course, whilst the 6th formers had to achieve 3 A’s. Many others on my Access course have had similar offers.
Reply 8
nick220281
I respectfully disagree, having been subjected to three university interviews. From discussions with the tutors it became apparent that, for mature students, experience counts for much more than qualifications. They simply require students to have undertaken some form of recent academic study within the last five or so years. I had an offer from Exeter requiring me to just pass the Access course, whilst the 6th formers had to achieve 3 A’s. Many others on my Access course have had similar offers.

My apologies Nick, I didn't explain myself particularly well there.

I completely agree that being mature (IE having life experience and having the time to have thought about what you want to study) is a massive advantage in how you are able to present yourself.

In terms of needing the qualifications, I meant in as much as many people think (and at one time, I did) that you could get into a unviersity simply because you were a mature student where as obviously you need the relevent qualifications (well, if you want to study something worthwhile at a place it's worth doing it anyway.

I think with regards to A Level Vs Access course, without question the A2s are a little more in deapth than some of the stuff We've been working on but if I'm honest, I think completing an access course is just as much of an achievement as someone completing their A Levels.

Hope that makes a little more sense!
Reply 9
Zinfandel
My apologies Nick, I didn't explain myself particularly well there.

I completely agree that being mature (IE having life experience and having the time to have thought about what you want to study) is a massive advantage in how you are able to present yourself.

In terms of needing the qualifications, I meant in as much as many people think (and at one time, I did) that you could get into a unviersity simply because you were a mature student where as obviously you need the relevent qualifications (well, if you want to study something worthwhile at a place it's worth doing it anyway.

I think with regards to A Level Vs Access course, without question the A2s are a little more in deapth than some of the stuff We've been working on but if I'm honest, I think completing an access course is just as much of an achievement as someone completing their A Levels.

Hope that makes a little more sense!

Hey,

I see where you’re coming from now mate. I too thought that being a mature student was sufficient to get into uni and had never even heard of the Access course until this time last year;-)

I’m glad I found it though as I think it’s given me a taster as to the hard work ahead. I am a bit nervous about competing with straight A students though!

If you don’t mind me asking, how are you finding your course? Sufficient preparation for uni?

Best of luck at QMUL!

Ta

N
nick220281
Hey,

I see where you’re coming from now mate. I too thought that being a mature student was sufficient to get into uni and had never even heard of the Access course until this time last year;-)

I’m glad I found it though as I think it’s given me a taster as to the hard work ahead. I am a bit nervous about competing with straight A students though!

If you don’t mind me asking, how are you finding your course? Sufficient preparation for uni?

Best of luck at QMUL!

Ta

N

Haha, exactly the same as me mate. I didn't have a clue this time last year! There is very little good information out there for mature students I found.

And I think you're feeling something all of us access students go through. It's probably slightly different for me because I made a point of doing a foundation year so effectively I'll have two years level 3 study plus all the lessons you have in access courses/foundation years that help you to understand how to study/take notes/reference.

I was surprised to learn that apparently, A level students have practically no experience at referencing.

I think access courses in general are very good. They focus (or at least mine does) not only on knowledge but how to cope and to do well in academia which can only be a good thing.

I don't think they're perfect, and they seem to be aimed at people wanting to do specific careers (IE Teaching, social work, nursing, general NHS degrees etc) but overall I think it's an excellent base for university!

Thanks very much :biggrin:, good luck with LLB!
Reply 11
Zinfandel
Haha, exactly the same as me mate. I didn't have a clue this time last year! There is very little good information out there for mature students I found.

And I think you're feeling something all of us access students go through. It's probably slightly different for me because I made a point of doing a foundation year so effectively I'll have two years level 3 study plus all the lessons you have in access courses/foundation years that help you to understand how to study/take notes/reference.

I was surprised to learn that apparently, A level students have practically no experience at referencing.

I think access courses in general are very good. They focus (or at least mine does) not only on knowledge but how to cope and to do well in academia which can only be a good thing.

I don't think they're perfect, and they seem to be aimed at people wanting to do specific careers (IE Teaching, social work, nursing, general NHS degrees etc) but overall I think it's an excellent base for university!

Thanks very much :biggrin:, good luck with LLB!

And to you, best of luck with your studies; no doubt I'll be back on here in October saying how much I love it at uni;-)
Reply 12
I am thinking of applying to bath spa to do performing arts - anyone else doing th same

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending