The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Victoria_25
I know it was stupid to speed and I shouldn't have done so, and won't do again- so please dont lecture me on that, I just have a ltitle enquiry.

I was driving home one night and my speedo said I was doing about 88mph, I looked up and saw a Police cark parked on the motoway bridge. I presume he was speed gunning people.

I'd also be fairly sure I got caught? I wasnt the only one on that stretch of motorway but I was in the "fast" lane.

How much will my fine be and how many points? Im really worried about getting a ban. :/

Was it a car, or was it a camera van. If it was a car, they would probably be just doing an ANPR check. I'm not sure whether the police in a car can issue a Fixed Penalty Notice in the post for speeding if they're parked up like that - normally, they'll chase you down. If it was a camera van, then you're out of luck.
Reply 41
police cars on bridges aren't normally doing speed checks, they're normally doing a number plate check to see if you're insured/taxed or are just looking for dangerous drivers. i think you'll be fine
Mountains and molehills spring to mind. You're allowed to do up to 85mph on some motorways despite the limit being 70mph. Your speedo was almost certainly over reading and you won't get a fine.............unless the speed limit was actually 60mph.
Reply 43
Gez6
I wouldnt worry about it- if they even did get you, they are more lax about it on the motorway, 88's not that much over and as long as you wern't driving like a cock

Sorry but I lol'ed at this ''88's not that much over'' are you joking? that's 18 miles/h over the speed limit! that's quite a lot actually. That's like going almost 50 in a 30 zone.
Reply 44
18 mph over the limit in a 30 zone is completely different as they're in town areas- with the chance of someone stepping into the road etc. On a motorway it doesnt make as much difference at those speeds, if you have a head-on at 70 or 88 the results will be pretty much the same.
Reply 45
Really, 88mph is easily enough to be penalised. I've seen someone being fined for 82. But the point here is that the vehicle was probably doing a number plate rather than a speed check.
Reply 46
Mad Vlad
Was it a car, or was it a camera van. If it was a car, they would probably be just doing an ANPR check. I'm not sure whether the police in a car can issue a Fixed Penalty Notice in the post for speeding if they're parked up like that - normally, they'll chase you down. If it was a camera van, then you're out of luck.

It was a car.
Reply 47
jk1986
88mph is probably about the average right hand lane speed on most motorways in my experience. Most people certainly do not do slightly under the speed limit, the vast majority will be round about the 80mph mark. Obviously depends on traffic and cameras, so parts of M25 always seem to move slow whereas most on the M40 seem to be >85mph.

In short, there's no way most people drive under the speed limit on the motorways in general in my experience (which is a whole lot of motorway driving)..

This is a pretty accurate assessment. To think that the average is below the speed limit is naive and highlights a lack of experience of motorway driving.

OP; chances are you won't get caught. In my opinion speed cameras on motorways are merely revenue generation. Driving at 90mph on a quiet motorway is totally different to doing 40mph in a residential area (with a 30mph limit) and it would be difficult to justify suggesting otherwise. There should be more police patrol cars (both standard and undercover) on motorways and no speed cameras. Speed cameras are incapable of considering context and in the case of motorways totally fail to capture the true picture. For example, doing 65mph on a very busy stretch and darting between lanes can be far more dangerous than speeding on a very quiet stretch of motorway.

Last year I was pulled over by an unmarked police car for doing over 90mph on a deserted M1 at 1am. After establishing that I had insurance and wasn't drunk I got away with a warning and a quick chat at the roadside. I was told that considering the circumstances, if I stayed below 90 I shouldn't be pulled over again. This was a reasoned approach by the officer, whereas a speed camera would have simply processed a fine.

Rant over.
Reply 48
jjdcfc
This is a pretty accurate assessment. To think that the average is below the speed limit is naive and highlights a lack of experience of motorway driving.

OP; chances are you won't get caught. In my opinion speed cameras on motorways are merely revenue generation. Driving at 90mph on a quiet motorway is totally different to doing 40mph in a residential area (with a 30mph limit) and it would be difficult to justify suggesting otherwise. There should be more police patrol cars (both standard and undercover) on motorways and no speed cameras. Speed cameras are incapable of considering context and in the case of motorways totally fail to capture the true picture. For example, doing 65mph on a very busy stretch and darting between lanes can be far more dangerous than speeding on a very quiet stretch of motorway.

Last year I was pulled over by an unmarked police car for doing over 90mph on a deserted M1 at 1am. After establishing that I had insurance and wasn't drunk I got away with a warning and a quick chat at the roadside. I was told that considering the circumstances, if I stayed below 90 I shouldn't be pulled over again. This was a reasoned approach by the officer, whereas a speed camera would have simply processed a fine.

Rant over.

That's not to say this will always be the case though. If the police officers had not been in such a good mood, it could have been a very different story. The point is, if you are doing over the speed limit, you are breaking the law, it may well be down to the officers discretion, but they are well within their rights to ticket you there and then. Whether it be 20mph over on a motorway, or 5mph over in a residential area, not everyone is going to be so lucky.
Do loads of people get caught for speeding on a motorway then?
I hardly see anyone driving at less than 70mph...

Stupid question can you drive faster than the speed limit temporarily to overtake someone driving at 70 mph?
Thats why you need this!!!

RADAR/GATSO DETECTOR

But no seriously on my way to gatwick we were doing about 85 avg and still had some cars (some people carriers even) whooshing past us at well over a ton. Sometimes there are just too many speeders to catch..
Reply 51
SirAlexander
Stupid question can you drive faster than the speed limit temporarily to overtake someone driving at 70 mph?

No. If you need to beak the speed limit to overtake someone, you don't need to overtake them. It's still illegal.
Reply 52
Most cop cars on bridges are ANPR, I hope. I've driven under a fair few whilst perhaps going too fast and never received anything.

hobo06
No. If you need to beak the speed limit to overtake someone, you don't need to overtake them. It's still illegal.

Yes, but these inferior people shouldn't be on MY motorway!
hobo06

This. Though it is annoying when you try to overtake someone driving at 60-65 mph and they speed up to 70, so you drop back behind them (and into their lane) and they slow down to 60-65 again :p:
What is the speed limit on a single lane with a national speed limit

Latest

Trending

Trending