The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
HDS
Um....

Sorry to barge in but why does everyone think it's OK for universities to be economically unfeasible?

I mean, yes, we're students and we don't want to see fees going up.... but would you rather have a garbage education and immense class sizes because the university doesn't have money or would you rather pay more for a good education?

I think the main point is that the money need not necessarily come from student debt. I think the majority on here do agree that it should, however.
Reply 21
FyreFight
He's right, the majority of students are a burden on the taxpayer.

Unless you find yourself in a career that pays enough extra over the course of your working life to cover the expenses the government paid to educate you to graduate level (usually several tens of thousands of pounds), you are a burden.

Most graduates, particularly those doing **** courses at ****er universities, will be in that bracket.

Wrong.

(Reuters) - A university degree adds an average 160,000 pounds to an individual's lifetime earnings compared to people whose education finished at A-level
Reply 22
Whilst they are studying for a degree, students are indeed are financial burden on the country. But after they graduate they will (probably) earn more over the course of their working lives than people who didn't go to uni in the first place. So they will pay more in tax, so they will be more valuable (as a taxpayer) in the future.

I think I'm correct in saying that. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, though.
The problem at the moment is that degrees have been devalued! Anybody can go to university. It is know longer a question of the elite or the academically able, it is anybody and everybody.

This has caused the problem of students being viewed as a burden on the tax payer!

A lot of my friends have recently graduated or will do so in the next few months. Not one of them has a job lined up that will rival my salary and I didnt get a degree.

When people are applying for the majority of jobs it states be educated to degree standard or have appropriate experience. Due to this the people with experience generally get the job over the candidates with degrees because they lack hands on and life experience!

I say limit the number of people who can go to university initially to the top 30 - 35 %. That will sort out the problems!
dontnegrepmeplease
he needs to seriously **** off.

Illegal immigrants

Foreign Aid

fat chavs sitting around council estates

NHS

These are all burdens on taxpayers, not students :mob:

Clearly education has been a successful experience for you! I think you have just proven his point!
dontnegrepmeplease
he needs to seriously **** off.

Illegal immigrants

Foreign Aid

fat chavs sitting around council estates

NHS

These are all burdens on taxpayers, not students :mob:

I don't know what I find funnier: the username or the post itself :rofl:
Tommyjw
7000 a year.. for 4 year course = 28 grand. I wouldnt go to Uni if i knew i'd have to pay back 28 grand in tuition fee's alone :/

you forgetting maintenance loan
Reply 27
I don't see what the big deal about upping student costs is. You get a slightly bigger loan and pay it back at the same rate whether you have a £3000 or a £30,000 debt...

Students ARE a burden on the taxpayer every since a degree because commonplace and practically worthless unless it's a high-level degree from a top university. Many employers are demanding that their prospective employees be university educated (irrelevant of subject) in order to get a job which would never have required such qualification in the past. Now everyone is forced to consider university as an extra stepping stone on the way to their career.
Reply 28
War

Now thats a burden on the taxpayer!
Reply 29
Tsukuyomi
you forgetting maintenance loan

which you have to pay back.
Installation
Don't be smarmy. If you get a half decent job you can get it back.

I'm not being smarmy. The "if" is the important bit. Plus I was mainly referring to the fact that the guy you replied to was saying he'd have to find more an more money to pay it all off. You countered this by saying we'll still get "loans and grants", the former of which still has to be paid off as I said.
Reply 31
geetar
Whilst they are studying for a degree, students are indeed are financial burden on the country. But after they graduate they will (probably) earn more over the course of their working lives than people who didn't go to uni in the first place. So they will pay more in tax, so they will be more valuable (as a taxpayer) in the future.

I think I'm correct in saying that. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, though.

I'm sure this is the reason why I got told we pay tuition fees - because in general, a graduate would earn more than someone who got a job straight after college.
Reply 32
He's sort of got a point. Either you pay for your education, or someone else pays for you to do it. There is no such thing as 'free' education.

The question is whether there is a better way to do this than simply lumping people with loans. The 'graduate tax' is essentially the loan repackaged, but the psychological difference between the two makes it favourable in my view.

It goes without saying that we should question the value of certain courses and universities. The question we don't have an answer to is: if these peoople aren't going to go to university, what are they going to do with their lives? Everyone seems to want to be a 'professional' these days, and to be fair the alternative jobs that 'workers' do are far less desirable today than they used to be.
ghast
War

Now thats a burden on the taxpayer!

Correct. Especially considering some planes use about the same amount of fuel in 30 minutes that an entire school uses in a year.

Wrong.

Here's a more recent article:

Value of Gaining a Degree Plumets - The Times

"One-third of graduates are receiving no financial benefit from their degree as young people drawn in by Labour’s mass expansion of universities see the value of studying decline for the first time."
Reply 35
This is another reason why I hate Tories: their inability to think about the long-term financial gains. If he closes or restricts university places, a lot of people are going to end up unemployed. Dicks.
Close all unversities.

Save money.

</sarcasm>
Bobo1234
I'm not being smarmy. The "if" is the important bit. Plus I was mainly referring to the fact that the guy you replied to was saying he'd have to find more an more money to pay it all off. You countered this by saying we'll still get "loans and grants", the former of which still has to be paid off as I said.

More money - jobs perhaps?

I like this move anyway, at least it'll give people who go to crappy unis something to think about with regards to if they should even bother.
Reply 38
HDS
Um....

Sorry to barge in but why does everyone think it's OK for universities to be economically unfeasible?

I mean, yes, we're students and we don't want to see fees going up.... but would you rather have a garbage education and immense class sizes because the university doesn't have money or would you rather pay more for a good education?

I'd rather see the government paying to keep our universities world class as they should be doing. Given that the pool of unskilled labour in this country is rapidly diminishing, if Britain wants to remain internationally competitive the only way to do this is through academia.
Samrout
This is another reason why I hate Tories: their inability to think about the long-term financial gains. If he closes or restricts university places, a lot of people are going to end up unemployed. Dicks.

What?

Gaining a worthless degree that will leave you or the economy no better off three or four years down the line is not 'employment'. Nor is it the government's place to sponsor what is essentially a full-time hobby for these people.

Latest

Trending

Trending