The Student Room Group

Why is it cool to be misogynistic, but unacceptable to be racist?

I've noticed that misogyny has suddenly become a fad. I always see Facebook groups stating that women should go back to the kitchen and other sentiments that view women as inferior. People also seem to despise feminists.

So, my question is: why is this funny and popular, but a group stating 'blacks should go back to Africa' is totally unacceptable? And, not many people despise racial activists, but they do despise feminists?

I don't advocate either btw, but I just want to know why the double standard exists - both gender and race are largely inherent, and both groups have a history of rights abuses.

Scroll to see replies

When was it ok to be rude to females just because they're female?
Reply 2
It's pretty 'cool' to be racist in a lot of people's eyes, also. I've just just as much of it as I have of all the recent misogynistic facebook groups, maybe not recently, but it's still prevalent.
because women should be making sandwiches, duurrrrr hurrrrr duurrrr

i don't know, actually. i think some people just have a warped view of what feminism is. i find the "sandwich" joke more obnoxious than offensive, actually, just because it's so incredibly overused and some sniggering moron trots it out in every thread nowadays thinking it's the height of hilarity and i'm sick of it.
Reply 4
JessicaW
It's pretty 'cool' to be racist in a lot of people's eyes, also. I've just just as much of it as I have of all the recent misogynistic facebook groups, maybe not recently, but it's still prevalent.

To be fair though, if a friend on my Facebook joined a group called 'women should go back to the kitchen' nobody would bat an eyelid, in fact a lot would comment with jokes. However, if someone joined a group called 'blacks should go back to Africa' people would be saying stuff like 'are you a member of the BNP?', 'that's pretty racist'.

Maybe it's just my friends, but I have noticed this in a broader sense - and in real life.

Truelad.com is hardly condemned, and that includes a lot of misogyny.
Erm, wake up. It's NOT cool to be misogynistic. The number of misogynists are far greater than the number of racists and since they are men, it doesn't really matter whether THEY think it's acceptable or not. The other 50% of the population don't accept it.
Tiberius
Truelad.com is hardly condemned, and that includes a lot of misogyny.

I hate that site.
Reply 7
Tiberius
I've noticed that misogyny has suddenly become a fad. I always see Facebook groups stating that women should go back to the kitchen and other sentiments that view women as inferior. People also seem to despise feminists.

So, my question is: why is this funny and popular, but a group stating 'blacks should go back to Africa' is totally unacceptable? And, not many people despise racial activists, but they do despise feminists?

I don't advocate either btw, but I just want to know why the double standard exists - both gender and race are largely inherent, and both groups have a history of rights abuses.

Neither is acceptable just because it's becoming more common. Just because gun and knife crime rates r increasing doesn't mean that society accepts it. This applies in the same way 2 misogyny and racism.
I've noticed this. I have no idea why it is.

I think homophobia is sort of borderline between the 2. Like racism is totally totally unacceptable, sexism is funny (apparently), but homophobia is kind of a middle ground and could be taken either way.
It's not...
British culture. Accept it.
Its not cool in my eyes. Nuff said.
Advanced Subsidiary
When was it ok to be rude to females just because they're female?

i just watched ur sig for the first time and its lols :biggrin:

and op everything that ends with "ist" is bad :woo:
It's probably to do with the whole slavery thing... People have been persecuted for race far far more than they have for gender (obvs) so it's not really a laughing matter in most ppls eyes
Reply 14
Well boys and girls make fun of each other all the time. Misogyny isn't right or cool. But the odd sexist joke can be funny (if done in jest). At the end of the day, both sexes know or think that the other isn't really serious about it/doesn't believe it.

Racism isn't really that funny to be honest, as it's hard to make a racist joke to that person (of the race that the joke relates to) funny. It seems as if you are trying to attack that race, eg. "us against them".

The fact is that Females aren't really a minority, while ethnic races (i.e. non English/welsh/scotland/NI races) in UK are. Hence it doesn't really feel nice.

As someone in an ethinic minority, to be honest I don't people making fun of me in general (as long as it's light hearted). People do make jokes about my race sometime, and although I don't get angry about it usually, I don't find it very funny. In fact if they go overboard it can make you increasingly aware that you're different from everyone else (which isn't a nice feeling honestly).
issih
i just watched ur sig for the first time and its lols :biggrin:

and op everything that ends with "ist" is bad :woo:

Told you I'm awesome. :awesome:
Tiberius

You do realise that Malcolm X and Martin Luther King were both murdered right.
dfjr
Well boys and girls make fun of each other all the time. Misogyny isn't right or cool. But the odd sexist joke can be funny (if done in jest). At the end of the day, both sexes know or think that the other isn't really serious about it/doesn't believe it.

Racism isn't really that funny to be honest, as it's hard to make a racist joke to that person (of the race that the joke relates to) funny. It seems as if you are trying to attack that race, eg. "us against them".

The fact is that Females aren't really a minority, while ethnic races (i.e. non English/welsh/scotland/NI races) in UK are. Hence it doesn't really feel nice.

As someone in an ethinic minority, to be honest I don't people making fun of me in general (as long as it's light hearted). People do make jokes about my race sometime, and although I don't get angry about it usually, I don't find it very funny. In fact if they go overboard it can make you increasingly aware that you're different from everyone else (which isn't a nice feeling honestly).

So....when you tell a woman a load of sexist jokes it's not going to feel "not very nice" for her because she's not a minority?

O_Bugger_its_Hitler
It's probably to do with the whole slavery thing... People have been persecuted for race far far more than they have for gender (obvs) so it's not really a laughing matter in most ppls eyes

Relatively recent history yes with slavery but in general no, not really. Women have been oppressed in pretty much every society to have ever existed, and still are in many many countries in the world.
God created all men equal and not women.

Lol, I joke. Anyway, get back in the kitchen, bitch. :ahee:
Reply 19
Tha_Black_Shinobi
You do realise that Malcolm X and Martin Luther King were both murdered right.

Clearly, I was referring to recent times.

Latest

Trending

Trending