The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ThisWillDo
I know book 1 and season 1 of Game of Thrones was quite similar. But ive heard that some of the book readers were moderately pissed about season 2. Can someone explain how different the two were.

Also guy I've got a dilemma. I've read book 1 and i'm about to read book 2 but I've been wanting to wait for season 3 before i read book 3. Is this wise or should i just go ahead and read all the books?

Just read the books.

There were mild differences in season 1 and bigger differences in season 2. Essentially the story is the same but the ordering of certain events is slightly different and some parts were changed entirely.

You really won't gain anything by reading book 3 after season 3. You're just making yourself wait for no reason. :tongue: And the third book is amazing. Quite easily the best in the series. You won't be able to put it down once you start, and you won't regret it. :tongue:

Plus it's more fun finding out how the book translates to the screen rather than seeing it the other way around. :biggrin:
I personally don't mind the changes of the series. It's still entertaining to watch, the main story itself is intact, despite the side stories being changed around. I'm a bit confused on some of the changes but I suppose it was for a reason. GRRM isn't complaining, so why should we?
Original post by AugustWestie
Just read the books.

There were mild differences in season 1 and bigger differences in season 2. Essentially the story is the same but the ordering of certain events is slightly different and some parts were changed entirely.

You really won't gain anything by reading book 3 after season 3. You're just making yourself wait for no reason. :tongue: And the third book is amazing. Quite easily the best in the series. You won't be able to put it down once you start, and you won't regret it. :tongue:

Plus it's more fun finding out how the book translates to the screen rather than seeing it the other way around. :biggrin:

Yeaaah I get what you mean now. It would be better to do it that way. It was just because I discovered the show before the books that I was unsure.

I'm also looking very forward to the 3rd book. I've heard nothing but praise about it :biggrin: (Y) but I'm also pretty scared too. Its no secrete that GRRM does not follow any known formula as to what he can and cannot do in his stories. He likes to -in his own words- "keep the readers on their toes" and likes to have us "emotionally involved" so no doubt I'm scared, yet curious, as to which co main character loses their head next..
I saw an entire set of books for £32 in ThisWorks and thought that was a good value! Was tempted to buy but already have AFFC and ASOS, so no point :sad:
Plus. Read them all now anyway.
Did they confirm any new cast members?

Also guys I've got a dilemma. I've read book 1 and i'm about to read book 2 but I've been wanting to wait for season 3 before i read book 3. Is this wise or should i just go ahead and read all the books?

?
Just read the books.

Completely and utterly disagree with this. I would strongly recommend not reading the books until you've seen it on screen. Upcoming in Season 3 is perhaps one of the biggest moments on Television in our lifetimes. I would love to be someone who gets to watch it play out without prior knowledge. We're talking lost 'We have to go back' worthy.

I think there's much to be said for either way, and normally would always recommend reading the book first. But actually, just this once, I would watch Season 3 and then read all the books. Trust me, you'll regret it if you read it.
What's wrong with reading it with no prior knowledge? :s-smilie:

It's personal preference really. I'm just giving my recommendation.

I read it without any prior knowledge and it hit me like a tonne of bricks (as did several other moments in the book). I don't think the show could possibly have done a better job.

And as someone that actually knows what will happen, I'm more excited about observing the reactions of the masses. :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
?

Completely and utterly disagree with this. I would strongly recommend not reading the books until you've seen it on screen. Upcoming in Season 3 is perhaps one of the biggest moments on Television in our lifetimes. I would love to be someone who gets to watch it play out without prior knowledge. We're talking lost 'We have to go back' worthy.

I think there's much to be said for either way, and normally would always recommend reading the book first. But actually, just this once, I would watch Season 3 and then read all the books. Trust me, you'll regret it if you read it.

Dammit I don't know what to do any more. If HBO are able to pull off the brilliance that happens in book 3 then your way is great and will probably be worth it. BUT, what if they don't live up to the book at all? Or god forbid change something crucial? Perhaps I shouldn't watch the season when it airs and have maybe one of you guys proof watch it before hand. That brings up another question: Is it the entire book which is fantastic or one crucial and major event that takes place?
Dammit I don't know what to do any more. If HBO are able to pull off the brilliance that happens in book 3 then your way is great and will probably be worth it. BUT, what if they don't live up to the book at all? Or god forbid change something crucial? Perhaps I shouldn't watch the season when it airs and have maybe one of you guys proof watch it before hand. That brings up another question: Is it the entire book which is fantastic or one crucial and major event that takes place?

The entire book is fantastic, but there's one part of it, that everyone I've ever met who's read the books wishes they could watch without knowing what was coming. I was genuinely shocked to see such a different response from the other use.

All I'll say is that if you were shocked by the Season 1 finale, your world will genuinely be shaken to its core by something that happens in Season 3.

I really trust them with GOT. They've done a fantastic job so far. I think that this is going to be something that's discussed in television circles for decades.
What's wrong with reading it with no prior knowledge? :s-smilie:

It's personal preference really. I'm just giving my recommendation.

I read it without any prior knowledge and it hit me like a tonne of bricks (as did several other moments in the book). I don't think the show could possibly have done a better job.

And as someone that actually knows what will happen, I'm more excited about observing the reactions of the masses. :biggrin:

I guess it is personal preference, but if this is someone who's watched the tv series first, the power that can be felt in the television will be massive.

I always love watching a show first, and then reading it. The books always provide so much more, that they're worth reading after watching something, whereas I feel that I'd be too critical of how something was done after reading it. If I had known they'd make a tv series out of this, I would have waited for it. I was quite surprised really to hear a different opinion on it, everyone I know on official GOT sites and in my literary circle lament that they know what's coming rather than being able to experience it fresh.

And yes, I am genuinely waiting for the reaction people are going to have. I hate to swear, but people are going to lose their ****.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2130
People need to stop hinting at huge events for the next season :colonhash:
Original post by Deshi

This. Can we please have a separate thread for tv and book? I've just come to the end of the series recently and interesting seeing reaction on here, but it's like a minefield avoiding spoilers. Some spoilers are what happened in an episode, some about what happen in a book. It's a bit ridiculous!
Original post by Deshi

We didn't give out any huge events, so I think you need to chill out.

Original post by Gob Bluth
This. Can we please have a separate thread for tv and book? I've just come to the end of the series recently and interesting seeing reaction on here, but it's like a minefield avoiding spoilers. Some spoilers are what happened in an episode, some about what happen in a book. It's a bit ridiculous!

In all honesty, if you're worried about spoilers, I wouldn't come on a thread about it. I've never understood this mentality. You know people are going to be discussing things that you haven't had access to.

I will always put my spoilers in spoiler tags. But there are people who just don't care, and will not be so kind. So really I would say to quit complaining and actually appreciate how considerate we've been.
Reply 2133

Can't even take guesses at what you think might happen in the next season because some saviour just always has to come along and say "nope,keep guessing:u:" as if that isn't spoiling it.

dunno why people don't realise that if there's only 5 possible outcomes and you say 4 of them won't happen then you're still spoiling it.

But anyway I can't wait for the next season:biggrin:

In all honesty, if you're worried about spoilers, I wouldn't come on a thread about it. I've never understood this mentality. You know people are going to be discussing things that you haven't had access to.

I will always put my spoilers in spoiler tags. But there are people who just don't care, and will not be so kind. So really I would say to quit complaining and actually appreciate how considerate we've been.

At least write Book above the spoiler then? The thread is in the tv section and HBO in the title. Everything book related should be very obvious if thread should stay in one.
The entire book is fantastic, but there's one part of it, that everyone I've ever met who's read the books wishes they could watch without knowing what was coming. I was genuinely shocked to see such a different response from the other use.

All I'll say is that if you were shocked by the Season 1 finale, your world will genuinely be shaken to its core by something that happens in Season 3.

I really trust them with GOT. They've done a fantastic job so far. I think that this is going to be something that's discussed in television circles for decades.

Well if that's the case, I've never been more excited for a Tv show to start again. If I thought I was excited for it to return after season 2 this is an entirely different experience. Thanks a lot for the decision making :smile:
Reply 2136

Do I seem angry to you? :rofl:

I read all the books a while back, I know everything that happens.

There is a separate thread for book readers here.

Do you expect people who have not read the books to not discuss the show at all? :dunce:

They should be free to come into a thread for the TV SHOW and not stumble into any spoilers or people hinting at huge events in the third season. And yes, believe it or not, you saying "people are going to lose their ****" about the event hints at things that people would prefer not to know.
At least write Book above the spoiler then? The thread is in the tv section and HBO in the title. Everything book related should be very obvious if thread should stay in one.

Original post by Deshi
There is a separate thread for book readers here.

Do you expect people who have not read the books to not discuss the show at all? :dunce:

They should be free to come into a thread for the TV SHOW and not stumble into any spoilers or people hinting at huge events in the third season. And yes, believe it or not, you saying "people are going to lose their ****" about the event hints at things that people would prefer not to know.

I don't write spoilers. And quite frankly, someone else asked a question to do with the books in relation to the TV show, and I endeavoured to answer them without any kind of spoilers. I think it's a bit unappreciative of you to direct your complaints (and insults) at me.
(edited 11 years ago)
I don't write spoilers. And quite frankly, someone else asked a question to do with the books in relation to the TV show, and I endeavoured to answer them without any kind of spoilers. I think it's a bit unappreciative of you to direct your complaints (and insults) at me.

Except we aren't. You are arguing for it and Deshi and I against it so of course it might seem we are complaining at you, but moreso at your opinion and everyone posting spoilers here as it's unnecessary as apparently there is a thread for book readers so absolutely no excuses. Any spoiler in here in any sense should be a bannable offence imo.
Reply 2139

Not you didn't specifically but by hinting that there will be huge events and such is the equivalent of people coming up to you before watching a film and telling you there's a huge surprise ending, which I hate. They'll spend most of the film trying to figure out the twist and by the time it happens it won't have the same impact as they already anticipated it.

Latest