The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sheep_go_baa
You're in for a treat :woo:

I hope so! I have had a peak and people have said it's the best one yet. I must admit this series hasn't lived up to the standard set by series 1 yet but I am still enjoying it. Just great to see your favourite characters come to life.

A lot less sex so far in this one!.
Reply 1301
Original post by Michaelj
Who cares if anyone questions his competance? He let her go in the book and Quorin asked why he let him go, its the same outcome. If you read the books at least state the facts.

I'd rather state as few spoilers from the books possible

Original post by Hopple

I'd rather state as few spoilers from the books possible

He's the same in the books unfortunately. Its character development, upto that point Jon was a rookie fighter and as Jaime had asked him in episode 1 or 2? of series 1. "You never killed before have you?".

Spoiler

You cant just walk in and start offing people off, because everyone is different.

@Hopple
You're in for a treat indeed. This was perhaps my favourite episode. But i've been saying that every time a new episode has come on. :colondollar: Next I'll be like OMG EPISODE 7 WAS AWESOME!! Try not to hate a certain character too much, apparently I resemble him in a way, bastard friends. :frown:
Reply 1303
He's the same in the books unfortunately. Its character development, upto that point Jon was a rookie fighter and as Jaime had asked him in episode 1 or 2? of series 1. "You never killed before have you?".

Spoiler

You cant just walk in and start offing people off, because everyone is different.

True

Arya has officially become my favourite character.
Reply 1305
I really like the Arya/Tywin relationship. He's like her grandpa or something lol. I haven't read the books but I really hope it develops into something worthwhile.
I wouldn't get annoyed with the changes as its still entertaining, if any of the book readers aren't enjoying it, may I ask why you are watching the show every week only to complain?

I'm moaning because I'm a moaner. :tongue: I'm still really enjoying it, changes to the storyline like Arya's deaths make it exciting to watch because even the book readers won't know who the TV writers choose! I just like discussing episodes, which sometimes means giving a negative opinion once in a while. :h:
Reply 1307
Original post by .eXe
I really like the Arya/Tywin relationship. He's like her grandpa or something lol. I haven't read the books but I really hope it develops into something worthwhile.

I don't think this is in the books at all?
Last episode was the best ever! I will never tire of seeing Joffrey being bitchslapped.
Reply 1309
Original post by Raducan
I don't think this is in the books at all?

Oh darn. By their relationship I just meant what's happening in the show. He doesn't know her identity, but still marvels at her intelligence, ability to read, etc. And he doesn't kick her out of his room whenever he has guests, and he treats her well. If I didn't know the context, I would've just assumed a grandpa/granddaughter relationship. But if as you say, this isn't in the books, then I guess the creators have just taken some artistic liberty there. Still hope it leads to something worthwhile.
Original post by .eXe
Oh darn. By their relationship I just meant what's happening in the show. He doesn't know her identity, but still marvels at her intelligence, ability to read, etc. And he doesn't kick her out of his room whenever he has guests, and he treats her well. If I didn't know the context, I would've just assumed a grandpa/granddaughter relationship. But if as you say, this isn't in the books, then I guess the creators have just taken some artistic liberty there. Still hope it leads to something worthwhile.

Its not in the books but the two actors really make me wish it was in the books! Unfortutaly Tywin isn't in book 2, well he is but he's only seen not spoken to. I think

Spoiler

or maybe they'll take it a different direction? I'm not sure, I know in the books Tywin was in Harrenhal at this point but he leaves before Arya's third wish.
Original post by Hopple

True

I never got the impression Jon was thinking with his dick whatsoever. I got the impression he was frigid and found it awkward but couldn't find the heart to execute her. Don't forget, despite the way Jon looks and how old he is, the character is a virgin and has never had a woman. Hes also stuck between his oath to the nights watch and believes to be honour bound. Well he may question his competance but he may find it honourable that he didn't kill her. I don't think he'll keep her prisoner, because if they can't allow Gilly to come, they won't allow her to come. I think

Spoiler

If my theory proves true then any doubts of incompetance will go out the window. It will prove hes a warg and useful one at that.

Speculation about Dagmer, Theons advisor.. View at own risk.

Spoiler

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1312
I never got the impression Jon was thinking with his dick whatsoever. I got the impression he was frigid and found it awkward but couldn't find the heart to execute her. Don't forget, despite the way Jon looks and how old he is, the character is a virgin and has never had a woman. Hes also stuck between his oath to the nights watch and believes to be honour bound. Well he may question his competance but he may find it honourable that he didn't kill her. I don't think he'll keep her prisoner, because if they can't allow Gilly to come, they won't allow her to come. I think

Spoiler

If my theory proves true then any doubts of incompetance will go out the window. It will prove hes a warg and useful one at that.

Oh, he hasn't done anything yet. But whatever he does with Ygritte (and later) will have that hanging over it. It's fair enough to let her go as a matter of principle, but this way his dedication to his duty has been whittled away (by what? Ygritte's already shown she'll try and seduce him) rather than being something he believes he should not do and sticking to it.

Your theory would work, I think

AHH finally got rid of a virus that I got trying to find a stream of episode 6, took me about 2 hours.
Reply 1314
Original post by G8D
I quite liked this episode. Thought I feel like massive chunks of story are missing.

Spoiler

I haven't read the books so have to just fill in the blanks.

Spoiler

Reply 1315
I love Game of Throne too much, I picked the absolute worst time to get sucked into it. I'm meant to be revising but I've downloaded the books (I'm tight with cash, but I'll be buying the books once I get them as reading from a laptop does not compare to reading from a book at all!) and I'm spending more time reading them than I am revising. :frown: I was tempted just to read Clash of Kings instead of reading Game of Thrones but I'm so glad I didn't! The book is pretty similar (as far as I've read) but it just brings it more to life and I just want to keep reading >_<

I've always wanted to find an author who made a book realistic by making the main characters less superhuman, I love the fact that he's not afraid just to kill off the characters because that's how they are due to die, it makes the whole universe of the books in general so much more lively and realistic. I can't get enough!

My biggest weakness has to be agreeing to do some revision after I finish a chapter then seeing the next chapter is about Jon, I love them so much damnit >_< I just have to keep reading :frown:
Reply 1316
Plus it's so painful not to look at spoilers, I've already seen enough by giving into temptation a little and reading more a wiki page a little but I regret it soon after! :frown: I don't want to know what happens and especially who dies!
Original post by Xhotas
Plus it's so painful not to look at spoilers, I've already seen enough by giving into temptation a little and reading more a wiki page a little but I regret it soon after! :frown: I don't want to know what happens and especially who dies!

Yeah, I get that a lot. New character introduced, check one of the GOT/ASOIAF wikis, and my eye catches a spoiler. So hard to resist checking up on it.

I loved episode 6. I felt really sorry for Theon, even more so than I did for Bran. Poor guy just wants to be loved, but he is a bit of a plonker.

By far my favourite character in the show at the moment has to be Tywin Lannister. Charles Dance owns each episode he's in.

Spoiler

Reply 1318
Original post by SillyRodent
AHH finally got rid of a virus that I got trying to find a stream of episode 6, took me about 2 hours.

Go to tv-links.eu and they're usually fine. I tend to watch in Filebox or GorillaVid and I've never had a problem there.
Poor Theon.

Spoiler

Latest