The Student Room Group

Self teaching A levels...experiences?

Hi there,

I'm new here but I am looking into self teaching my A levels as we can't afford to live on one income.

I've been in touch with my old high school (left 10 yrs ago) and they are willing to take me as a private candidate to sit the exams. They have also said if I use the same syllabus as them I can submit my coursework to them.

I'm planning to do History, English Lit and RE.

Have you self taught? What were the biggest challenges?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i taught myself all my modules in 2 weeks and got AAA, so yes its better imo
Reply 2
Thank you Alex, do you have any tips?
Reply 3
I taught myself one (mainly) coursework based subject and one written exam subject.

The coursework based subject was much easier to self teach, as you can guarantee yourself a higher mark and the written exams are generally easier. You can't be sure you self taught yourself every possibility for an exam question - but you can be sure, given enough time, that the coursework is 100%.

When it comes to written exams, past papers are key. Also, you'll want a good textbook. Do a bit of research and find out a good, comprehensive textbook. Do not buy a 'Teach Yourself' textbook - they do not go into enough detail for a safe A grade at A-Level.

Best of luck!
Reply 4
I taught myself a GCSE and got 98%, teachers just get in the way :P
Reply 5
OMGWTFBBQ
I taught myself one (mainly) coursework based subject and one written exam subject.

The coursework based subject was much easier to self teach, as you can guarantee yourself a higher mark and the written exams are generally easier. You can't be sure you self taught yourself every possibility for an exam question - but you can be sure, given enough time, that the coursework is 100%.

When it comes to written exams, past papers are key. Also, you'll want a good textbook. Do a bit of research and find out a good, comprehensive textbook. Do not buy a 'Teach Yourself' textbook - they do not go into enough detail for a safe A grade at A-Level.

Best of luck!

Thank you OMG, the more research I do, the more positive I'm feeling :smile:
Reply 6
I self taught myself several maths modules, and ended up with grade A at the end. It isn't as bad as some might make it out to be - in fact, it is a luxury sometimes!
Having said that, I do go to school, and have always had teachers and help close at hand should I ever need them!
The good thing with self studying is that you learn to mange your time well, and to some extent, I think, you are able to manage your time better, as you don't have to go 'running after' homework all the time. Although that's just personal opinion. A good technique is to just practise lots of questions and read and make sure you understand the material, which may be harder to take in since you are not being taught it.
It's certainly an interesting experience, and I find that those who have self taught themselves to the same standard as other people tend to have a deeper understanding and retain their knowledge far more than those other people. :biggrin:
i all but taught myself my psychology a level as my teacher was utter rubbish. got 2nd best grade in the class. ahhhaaaa i loved self taught psychology. I pod in every lesson, i was such a pain.
Reply 8
Beth1234
I self taught myself several maths modules, and ended up with grade A at the end. It isn't as bad as some might make it out to be - in fact, it is a luxury sometimes!
Having said that, I do go to school, and have always had teachers and help close at hand should I ever need them!
The good thing with self studying is that you learn to mange your time well, and to some extent, I think, you are able to manage your time better, as you don't have to go 'running after' homework all the time. Although that's just personal opinion. A good technique is to just practise lots of questions and read and make sure you understand the material, which may be harder to take in since you are not being taught it.
It's certainly an interesting experience, and I find that those who have self taught themselves to the same standard as other people tend to have a deeper understanding and retain their knowledge far more than those other people. :biggrin:

Thanks Beth, I work as a teaching assistant and I've got 2 children. This brought me to self teaching because we just can't survive on my husbands wages alone.
Reply 9
out of the blue
i all but taught myself my psychology a level as my teacher was utter rubbish. got 2nd best grade in the class. ahhhaaaa i loved self taught psychology. I pod in every lesson, i was such a pain.

Hahaha it must be quite satisfying knowing that you did it all yourself though!?
Reply 10
Rassam
I taught myself a GCSE and got 98%, teachers just get in the way :P

Thank you :smile:
Has anyone here ever self taught a science subject a level? I imagine it could be impossible as youd need access to practical equiptment, which you cant get at home eg chemistry titrations/physics expts
Reply 12
Just did one A-level module (Decision 2) and got 95/100. I think self-teaching makes you work harder.
susanneb1984
Hi there,

I'm new here but I am looking into self teaching my A levels as we can't afford to live on one income.

I've been in touch with my old high school (left 10 yrs ago) and they are willing to take me as a private candidate to sit the exams. They have also said if I use the same syllabus as them I can submit my coursework to them.

I'm planning to do History, English Lit and RE.

Have you self taught? What were the biggest challenges?

biggest challenges was that it was a new syllabus...
Not that I have taught myself everything, just we were left stranded in the drama part of english and in philosophy for some aspects... sooo half of my English A level is self taught and probably 2/3's of philo! :P

Good luck!
Reply 14
It's easier than with teachers, i got 100% when i did it. Just get good textbooks and memorise..
Reply 15
out of the blue

This :smile:
apart from i got the 1st best grade in the class :wink:
well, upto now anyway, havent took unit 4 yet :frown:
Reply 16
Milch
Just did one A-level module (Decision 2) and got 95/100. I think self-teaching makes you work harder.

Thank you, I've dreamt of teaching for 22 years and decided I needed to stop dreaming and get working towards it!
Reply 17
I self taught AS levels, had to do it over 2 years though.

The main problem for me was time keeping, I spent too much time on some things and therefore didn't have enough time left to teach myself the other stuff.

In the end I had to get myself some tutors.

It also got very repetitive and boring going through the same books everyday, and harder to keep the motivation.

Make sure you know abotu exam technique, I went into my first psychology exam not knowing about how the longer questions were marked, which defientley put me at a disadvantage.

My subjects were all exam based, no coursework involved.
Reply 18
hope u all the best, definnently keep us informed of ur progress, were right behind u, i do sciences so if u need anything just pm
im currently doing it, and even though i got straight As for my first module the A2 stuff was really hard (philosophy and politics aqa) as i did it all in a year and it is to much, you seem really motivated so go for it!

Latest