The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
carlylwright
The last part of the vector equation, I worked out the equation of the line that C would be on - but got really dodgy answers after that because im useless at vectors.

Do you reckon I will still get a mark for working out the line equation or have I lost all 4 marks?
Thanks.

I reckon you'll get a couple of marks for doing that, what else are the 4 marks going to be for?
Reply 61
TropLouis
they don't come better than balliol :smile: that is fairly epic. fingers firmly crossed that a reading list doesn't find it's way through my door. lengthy i imagine?

Thanks :smile: , er mines 5 books but when 3 are entitled just 'organic chemistry', 'inorganic chemistry', and 'physical chemistry' you know they're gonna be pretty damn huge :p:
Reply 62
Tomato_Soup1992
(3,-1,3), (-1,-1,1)

Yeah, we got them, they're in the mark scheme. I mean the rest of the vector question, like point P and what vector AB was?
Reply 63
TigerJack
Thanks :smile: , er mines 5 books but when 3 are entitled just 'organic chemistry', 'inorganic chemistry', and 'physical chemistry' you know they're gonna be pretty damn huge :p:

i suspect they won't be the sort of thing that can be completed in one summer's toilet trips :P
MackaBizzle
Yeah, we got them, they're in the mark scheme. I mean the rest of the vector question, like point P and what vector AB was?

Oh right, I don't remember them. They're all so similar.
Reply 65
Tomato_Soup1992
It wasn't that bad, I just had a really prolonged dense moment (1hr and a half to be precise XD). I made so many stupid mistakes and on the 'hardest question' I got it wrong because I forgot how to differnetiate XD.

Thanks, though the offer was A*AA, it was in F maths, Physics and chemistry.
So it doesn't really matter how I did today. Today was just for fun...

EDIT: You were in the Cambridge thread at one point, I swear. Did you get an offer?

C4 just for fun :biggrin:

And unfortunately not. :frown:
I figured |CP|=|AB|
|AB| was root 13

I worked out C and took it away from P

Then I got something like

(5x^2-2x+6)^1/2=root13
square both sides

5x^2-2x+6-13=0
5x^2-2x-7=0

x was 7/5 and -1

So put that into the (x,y,z) coordinates of the C and I got something involving 19/5, -1, 17/5 in the first one and no fractions for the second point.
Reply 67
TropLouis
i suspect they won't be the sort of thing that can be completed in one summer's toilet trips :P

Haha I wish, so what A-levels do you do?
MackaBizzle
I reckon you'll get a couple of marks for doing that, what else are the 4 marks going to be for?

That's not as bad then, thank you! I hate not being able to mark my own papers!
Reply 69
Hey, how did anyone get x=2 on the implicit differentiation question? I did x^3x1+cos(pix1)=7 => x^3-1=7 => x^3=8 so I got x as 2root2 :s-smilie:
Reply 70
TigerJack
Haha I wish, so what A-levels do you do?

biology, chemistry and maths all with AQA. I also did French last year. how about you? do you do chemistry with AQA? btw do you know if all the college send out reading lists for chemistry at oxford?
Reply 71
TropLouis
biology, chemistry and maths all with AQA. I also did French last year. how about you? do you do chemistry with AQA? btw do you know if all the college send out reading lists for chemistry at oxford?

I do maths on AQA but physics and chemistry on OCR. I did Classics last year. I have no idea who gets reading lists, I wasn't even expecting mine today lol. So what type of school did you go to and where else did you apply?
Reply 72
caffrey
Hey, how did anyone get x=2 on the implicit differentiation question? I did x^3x1+cos(pix1)=7 => x^3-1=7 => x^3=8 so I got x as 2root2 :s-smilie:

You're right up until the very last thing, x^3=8 therefore you do the cube root (not the square root as you have done) which leaves you with x = 2
Reply 73
TigerJack
I do maths on AQA but physics and chemistry on OCR. I did Classics last year. I have no idea who gets reading lists, I wasn't even expecting mine today lol. So what type of school did you go to and where else did you apply?

got you, i was wondering so as to possibly share the pain of AQA chemistry and it's horrible lack of past papers for this module.

as for the reading lists i only ask because my gf is doing chemistry at oxford too so i wanted to know if she would be subjected to that as well :P

i went to a state school and college, doubt you'll know it's not well known. you??

i applied to bristol, Leeds and king's College London but i only get corpus and KCL, same to you?
Reply 74
supernatural
I figured |CP|=|AB|
|AB| was root 13

I worked out C and took it away from P

Then I got something like

(5x^2-2x+6)^1/2=root13
square both sides

5x^2-2x+6-13=0
5x^2-2x-7=0

x was 7/5 and -1

So put that into the (x,y,z) coordinates of the C and I got something involving 19/5, -1, 17/5 in the first one and no fractions for the second point.

I did exactly the same. Here's to hoping it's right! :smile:
Reply 75
TropLouis
got you, i was wondering so as to possibly share the pain of AQA chemistry and it's horrible lack of past papers for this module.

as for the reading lists i only ask because my gf is doing chemistry at oxford too so i wanted to know if she would be subjected to that as well :P

i went to a state school and college, doubt you'll know it's not well known. you??

i applied to bristol, Leeds and king's College London but i only get corpus and KCL, same to you?

Oh sorry, my head of science is obssessed with practicals so chose OCR Salters which is a really practical course. AQA is really different as well I think :/

Cool that your gf is going to Oxford, what college is she going to?

I go to a state school as well, my school came below average for my year :p: .

I applied to Oxford, Imperial, Durham and York and got offers for all 4 of them :smile:
Oh if thats true then I lost 7 (d) and 4 (c)
I know ran out of time for friggin 7 d!!! Arghhh
Overall paper was breeze.~
Reply 77
for 8d, I put 15.403 (to 3sf) :facepalm:
Reply 78
TigerJack
Oh sorry, my head of science is obssessed with practicals so chose OCR Salters which is a really practical course. AQA is really different as well I think :/

Cool that your gf is going to Oxford, what college is she going to?

I go to a state school as well, my school came below average for my year :p: .

I applied to Oxford, Imperial, Durham and York and got offers for all 4 of them :smile:

she's going to Keeble :smile:

well played on the four offers, when do you finish your exams? any summer plans apart from reading, of course :tongue:
Reply 79
Weeman5872
for 8d, I put 15.403 (to 3sf) :facepalm:

That'll be at most a mark, so no problem really.
They usually say anything which rounds to anyway, so i wouldn't worry, did you find the rest ok?

Latest

Trending

Trending