The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Accommodation for an Erasmus student

Hello there!
I am a French student and I am coming to study Literature and History at the University of Exeter next year! I think no matter what accommodation I go in, it will be epic anyway, but I still have some questions.

First of all, i'd like to say how much I would love to go catered but I can't. Erasmus student aren't allowed to have a contract lasting under 40 weeks. Also it would be a total pain in the butt to have to move all my stuff from Exeter to my sister's place in London.

That being said I have no other choice than self-catered. I know a few people who went to Exeter and they all told me NOT to go to Lafrowda. As we're pretty much the same when it comes to accommodation - or at least we were in my home uni, I banned it from my list. I know it's super social so I really like this aspect but one of my friends who lived there said the whole thing was so depressing that he didn't even want to do anything. Not a very good idea! I also read here that St German's was overrated. I'm still planning on putting it as my 3rd choice. 1st would be Rowe House and 2nd, James Owen Court. Does that sound good to you? I haven't read that much about Rowe House so I was wondering what the social life's like there? I am outgoing and I am eager to make the most of my year abroad! I don't really want to go to a quiet place but Lafrowda really doesn't appeal to me, from what I've seen and what I've heard.

So here it is, my main question concerns Rowe House and its social aspects. I hope I haven't looked over a similar post already. I received my student ID yesterday so I'm gonna be able to apply for accommodation on Monday. And I believe that for Erasmus students, it's on a first come, first served basis. But the 2 other students from my university who also are also studying at Exeter next year haven't even send out their application yet, so I might have a chance to get into my first choice (Rowe).

Thanks for your help,
Elodie xx
Reply 1
Think the atmosphere of halls differs each yr depending on whos in there. On the application is asks about interests and if youd want to go in a house which was quite lively. It seems like they will try and fit you in a set of halls or floor with other like minded people.

My suggestion is that if it matters to you put down that you like going out etc and then your hall choices and see how it goes.

Btw ur english is quality.
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
Wow! That's wicked! In France they don't ask us about that. Although we don't have to share anything, there are only studios but the girl living next door was always complaining about the rest of the people on the floor. That's nice if they try to fit you with similar people! Thanks a lot! That totally helped now I don't really care where about where I end up! Hahaha!
Reply 3
And thank you for the compliment on my English. I hope it will improve next year though!
Reply 4
Hi Elodie

My boyfriend, who's also French and also went to Exeter on Erasmus, stayed in St Davids and loved it, so perhaps you could see if that's an option? It is really a beautiful accommodation block.

I also wouldn't be so down on Lafrowda - during my time in Exeter I lived there and in St Germans and preferred Lafrowda by a mile. Really you spend so little time in your room that even if you do find it depressing (which I didn't - my room had a gorgeous view) it's not as if your accommodation has to define your time at uni.

Latest

Trending

Trending