The Student Room Group

Official Computer Science and IT Applicants for 2011 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LtCommanderData

I think most people who get admissions day invites get offers - it's more to persuade you to go there rather than persuade them to let you in, I think

But I may be wrong

I want to know if TomMcCarthy has heard yet, because we were hanging out on the admissions day

I was thinking of TomMcCarthy actually. It will be uber cool if he got an offer too :tongue:
Reply 61
Computer science and IT associated in the same thread? Bleurgh.
Original post by chigley

We were all thinking it and you just said it :s-smilie:
Reply 63
Original post by chigley

Why not? Plenty of pure IT courses are identical to CS with the exception of some maths modules... Not all like that though I suppose. Having an IT applicants thread would be pretty pointless as it would just be dead with no one posting - probably a forum based decision tbh.
Original post by Wookie42
Why not? Plenty of pure IT courses are identical to CS with the exception of some maths modules... Not all like that though I suppose. Having an IT applicants thread would be pretty pointless as it would just be dead with no one posting - probably a forum based decision tbh.

Hear hear! :smile: You do have a point forum wise tbh, because as it is this thread isn't the most sizzling thread around :rolleyes: But yeah, if there was a separate IT thread, no one would post. on the CS or the IT one.

However, call me biased CS>IT :biggrin:
Or maybe I'm being harsh, CS is IT's big bro :wink:
Reply 65
Original post by nikita_atikin
Hear hear! :smile: You do have a point forum wise tbh, because as it is this thread isn't the most sizzling thread around :rolleyes: But yeah, if there was a separate IT thread, no one would post. on the CS or the IT one.

However, call me biased CS>IT :biggrin:
Or maybe I'm being harsh, CS is IT's big bro :wink:

:tongue:

To be honest, I originally wanted to do CS as I know its far better received by employers and is generally better. Only problem is I really didn't want to do the maths as in depth as CS asks which probably was a foolish decision, but meh. Module wise though, the first year of CS at Liverpool for example is only one module different - CS students do an Algorithm module in addition to everything else, the rest is identical.

CS > IT though, no question :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)

To be honest, I originally wanted to do CS as I know its far better received by employers and is generally better. Only problem is I really didn't want to do the maths as in depth as CS asks which probably was a foolish decision, but meh. Module wise though, the first year of CS at Liverpool for example is only one module different - CS students do an Algorithm module in addition to everything else, the rest is identical.

Wow I genuinely thought for a moment I'd get negged/ripped apart by a very IT defensive post but :clap2:
Yeah CS and IT are linked but I think the more you go into it, the boundaries become a lot more defined. Maths is the only thing I can do so I picked CS over IT :s-smilie:
(edited 13 years ago)
As I said, black & white checked shirt, black trousers and black shoes, with relatively spiky hair and an easily identifiable Scottish accent. I'm so excited!
Reply 68
Original post by nikita_atikin
Wow I genuinely thought for a moment I'd get negged/ripped apart by a very IT defensive post but :clap2:
Yeah CS and IT are linked but I think the more you go into it, the boundaries become a lot more defined. Maths is the only thing I can do so I picked CS over IT :s-smilie:

Yeah I think I'd have to agree. So many IT courses are just pure bs though, with little programming/actual computing involved except editing a spreadsheet. Facepalm.
Sussex
St Andrews
Leicester
Loughborough
Unsure(sent for Durham)
Reply 70
Edinburgh
Glasgow
Aberdeen
Strathclyde
Heriot Watt
Reply 71
Warwick
Durham
York
KCL
Nottingham
Reply 72
Original post by Coda
Warwick
Durham
York
KCL
Nottingham

When did you send your applications off? :smile:
Reply 73
Original post by MylesXD

Original post by MylesXD
When did you send your applications off? :smile:

Today :biggrin:
Reply 74
Original post by Coda
Today :biggrin:

hahah i was going 2 say why you aint got offer from Nottingham

so far everyone i know on here has :eek: and they are asking for BBC
Reply 75
Original post by Coda
Warwick
Durham
York
KCL
Nottingham

GO KCL!! woo
Cambridge (Downing)
Imperial
Edinburgh
Southampton
Glasgow

I have an interview for Cambridge on 6th December and I am currently waiting to hear back from Imperial (I had an interview there on 10th November) :3
Applied today to:

Sheffield
Cardiff
Birmingham
UCL
York

And I'm actually a University of Bath CS dropout!
Reply 78

Haha im doing IT management but i agree with what you said, that CS is seen as better

Ok soo im appying for IT managment at Exeter, Cardiff, Bournemouth and UWE, is there anyyy IT people on here? I havnt seen any which arent computer science!
Reply 79
Original post by emma9
Haha im doing IT management but i agree with what you said, that CS is seen as better

Ok soo im appying for IT managment at Exeter, Cardiff, Bournemouth and UWE, is there anyyy IT people on here? I havnt seen any which arent computer science!

applying for ITMB at UCL CS and management at KCL CS and business at warwick and straight CS and Notts and loughborough :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending