The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
That's actually a really good idea, although I'm not sure if we would find enough people that wanted to read the same book! I would be up for it though :smile:
Reply 2
if you're seriously interested,you could PM me and we could dicuss merging with the literary society as it's pretty pointless having two very similar socs.
Reply 3
i think it's a good idea - and it would be different from the literary society, because the thing about book clubs is that you have to read the book that someone selects and then talk about it. i'd be interested, anyway.
Reply 4
yeah i'd be interested
Reply 5
count me in!
Reply 6
yup id love to...so count me in!!!:p:
Sounds good to me :smile:
Reply 8
evidently not then:rolleyes:
Reply 9
Sounds cool :smile:

Popular, easy-to-find books would be good because people can get them out the library instead of having to spend out on a copy.
id be interested..i always wanna expand what i read but never know what to chose!
this sounds excellent - we had one at my old school but now I'm off to big bad uni I don't know whether there'll be one. What shall we start with??
Reply 12
I'm glad so many people are interested. It may be a bad time to start now, so I thought I'd suggest a very great book, which I incidentially just started to read this morning.

What do you think of The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nigtht-time by Mark Haddon?

You can probably get it in any good library already. I know it is also a children's book, but that has never stopped anyone and goes hand in hand with my current theme :smile: With uni about to start for most of us (and a move to the UK for me), it may just be a very nice and interesting read.

If people could make a few more suggestions and we can then start a proper plan for October ?
Reply 13
So, anyone? Book ideas?
Reply 14
how about terry pratchett?
which one?? there are lots...
I would probably join in. Having said that, I'm not overly interested in reading Terry Pratchett.. sorry. :redface: Thing is you might be better doing short stories seeing as most people here have a lot of other commitments. Just a thought.
Reply 17
englishstudent
I would probably join in. Having said that, I'm not overly interested in reading Terry Pratchett.. sorry. :redface: Thing is you might be better doing short stories seeing as most people here have a lot of other commitments. Just a thought.

I would too. And as Englishstudent says, I wouldn't be too keen on the Pratchett. Not least because a book by him would be too long to make this book club as active as it should be. I think short stories are a good idea.
yourjoyismylow
What do you think of The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nigtht-time by Mark Haddon?

Read it (at my school book club!), wasn't that impressed. Terry Prachett's never really appealed to me that much either. Are we looking for fun book or more meaty stuff?

How about some Margaret Atwood? Oryx and Crake maybe or the Handmaid's Tale. OrIf you want to start with a short story as someone suggested, wasn't Metamorphosis by Kafka a short story? We nearly did that at book club once.
Yep, I would be interested, as long as the books weren't too long because I've already got a reading list as long as me!

Latest

Trending

Trending