The Student Room Group

Book list/ TBR (OFFICAL CHAT IF YOU WANT TO MAKE IT)

Hey,
I know how hard it can be to find a good book once it feels as though you have read everything. So as someone who reads 100+ books yearly I thought why not make an area for us all to just give recommendations or if your writing a book then send a part of it through and find out what people think on it. I know how frustrating it can be when your writing a book and a part just doesn't seem right so you need someone's advice on the part that you are writing (I'm sure it's brill, but the anxiety is still present). Why don't we start of with what we are currently reading, what we have just finished reading, and a book that you think everyone should read at least once in their lives.

I am currently reading a court of thorns and roses (its great, I'm 300 pages in and I started yesterday). I just finished reading five survive by Holly Jackson and did that have some plot twists. I was expecting them but didn't want them to be true. A book I think everyone should read at least once in their lives is rules for a perfect murder. Not only is it a psychological sort of thriller mystery, it also has so much book recommendations in it and it literally makes me so happy to have simar books to read in a book. Yeah, that's that.

Feel free to contribute and introduce yourselves!

Guys just a quick extra, @emm4nuella has created a book club that I 100% think you should check out. heres the link to it Unofficial TSR Book Club 2024 - The Student Room. feel free to carry on here top if you would like!

Thanks.
(edited 3 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Great Idea! So im eden and im currently reading the way i used to be and the strange thing is the main character is also called eden which is rlly weird but anyway. I 2nd ur holly Jackson recommendation she’s amazing and im so excited for the a good girls guide to murder srs coming out
Reply 2
Original post by ebyrne2036
Great Idea! So im eden and im currently reading the way i used to be and the strange thing is the main character is also called eden which is rlly weird but anyway. I 2nd ur holly Jackson recommendation she’s amazing and im so excited for the a good girls guide to murder srs coming out

The way I used to be is on my TBR list, and a good girls guide to murder tv show is keeping me going at this point😭. I love how Holly Jackson chose the actors herself to make them specific to how she described them in the book because sometimes I find that is what makes or breaks a book adaption. Also is the way I used to be good because if it is I'll be sure to push it up my list and read it after I've finished the acotar collection.
Reply 3
Also guys, if you would like this is a list that I made with my friends in year 11 and it has a couple of books with their genres on it too. be sure to look through it for books that you might not have read!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FOo56EdSgaw7P89hqWtCm9Dj2xPO83SiheeFVJXvEpU/edit?usp=sharing
Reply 5
Original post by Book Murphy
Hey everyone,

I hope you're enjoying the lively discussions and book recommendations!

As someone deeply passionate about reading, I wanted to share some exciting news. I'm running a discount of 30% on all personal reading and academically prescribed books across various genres. There's something for everyone, whether you're into thrilling mysteries, heartwarming romance, mind-bending science fiction, or insightful non-fiction.
If you want to expand your literary horizons or need books for your studies, this is a great opportunity to save on your next purchase. Feel free to reach out if you have any specific requests or if you'd like personalized book recommendations tailored to your favorite genres.

This is great, thanks. If I need something I'll be sure to tell!
Reply 6
Have you read AGGGTM? And is Five Survive just as good?
Reply 7
Original post by study23!
Have you read AGGGTM? And is Five Survive just as good?

ive read all of AGGGTM and have her book in my room. I love them and I'd say five survive is definatly up there. As someone who is a really fast reader the story (like most holly jackson books) had like a slower half and that is even a strech becasue the action starts straight away, but the second half was just amazing. would definatly recomend five survive and AGGGTM if you havent read them yet. her new book is also coming out this year called the reappearance of rachel price and im looking forward to it.
Reply 8
Original post by Labs2007
ive read all of AGGGTM and have her book in my room. I love them and I'd say five survive is definatly up there. As someone who is a really fast reader the story (like most holly jackson books) had like a slower half and that is even a strech becasue the action starts straight away, but the second half was just amazing. would definatly recomend five survive and AGGGTM if you havent read them yet. her new book is also coming out this year called the reappearance of rachel price and im looking forward to it.

I’ll definitely have to look at Five Survive! Yes I’ve read AGGGTM, which I loved. I was worried that her other books wouldn’t be as good - I found with Karen McManneus although her other murder mysteries were still enjoyable they didn’t compare to One of us is lying for me. I’m glad to hear it’s not the case with Holly
Reply 9
Original post by study23!
I’ll definitely have to look at Five Survive! Yes I’ve read AGGGTM, which I loved. I was worried that her other books wouldn’t be as good - I found with Karen McManneus although her other murder mysteries were still enjoyable they didn’t compare to One of us is lying for me. I’m glad to hear it’s not the case with Holly

personally i love karen mcmanus books too so i dont know, they each hold a special part but five survive is more of a thriller because yes its a mystery but it keeps you on the edge of your seat I find
i love karen mcmanus as well did u watch the one of us is lying srs i watched the first episode but kinda forgot abut it ngl didnt get into it that much
Hey,
I know how hard it can be to find a good book once it feels as though you have read everything. So as someone who reads 100+ books yearly I thought why not make an area for us all to just give recommendations or if your writing a book then send a part of it through and find out what people think on it. I know how frustrating it can be when your writing a book and a part just doesn't seem right so you need someone's advice on the part that you are writing (I'm sure it's brill, but the anxiety is still present). Why don't we start of with what we are currently reading, what we have just finished reading, and a book that you think everyone should read at least once in their lives.

I am currently reading a court of thorns and roses (its great, I'm 300 pages in and I started yesterday). I just finished reading five survive by Holly Jackson and did that have some plot twists. I was expecting them but didn't want them to be true. A book I think everyone should read at least once in their lives is rules for a perfect murder. Not only is it a psychological sort of thriller mystery, it also has so much book recommendations in it and it literally makes me so happy to have simar books to read in a book. Yeah, that's that.

hi! i’m currently reading the secret history by donna tartt and crime and punishment by fyodor dostoevsky! before that i read solitaire by alice oseman. a book i think everyone should read is dead poets society by nh kleinbaum
Reply 12
i love karen mcmanus as well did u watch the one of us is lying srs i watched the first episode but kinda forgot abut it ngl didnt get into it that much

Yes I did! It was good in general despite some changes to the book, I still enjoyed it. The second season got more interesting though since they made a new plot line (not using one of us is next). If I remember correctly it sort of picked up about 3 eps in.
Ahh gotcha will hv to check it out wonder if they will make a 3rd
Hey,

i love Holly Jackson, and I am reading the five survive right now actually ❤️ i also highly recommend AGGGTM, and am very excited for the series coming out!!
Reply 15
I should probably make an effort to get into more modern stuff. I'm always reading for work but it's all academic stuff so can be quite dry. Outside of that I'm 2 years into a Russian literature stage, so lots of Tolstoy and Dostoevsky.
Reading the asparagus bunch atm
Reply 17

I started it but it just wasnt doing it for me and the charecters were completely different to how they were described in the book which is why i said it can eeither make our break the series the charecters and tbh i hated it and dropped it so quick
Reply 18
Original post by ther0sesaredead
hi! i’m currently reading the secret history by donna tartt and crime and punishment by fyodor dostoevsky! before that i read solitaire by alice oseman. a book i think everyone should read is dead poets society by nh kleinbaum

I'll add it to my list because I've never heard of it. I'll read it when I have time
Reply 19
Original post by emm4nuella
i love Holly Jackson, and I am reading the five survive right now actually ❤️ i also highly recommend AGGGTM, and am very excited for the series coming out!!

sammme, when i saw they were producing it I acc screamed with excitement

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending