The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

PinkPigeon
Yep, I would be interested, as long as the books weren't too long because I've already got a reading list as long as me!

Probably why short stories might be good. Someone suggested Attwood well how about some of her short stories or John Updike or Roald Dahl..this list goes on. So many great authors writing fantastic short stories for adults.
Reply 21
What about the short story 'the haunted house' by Charles Dickens? It's relatively short and you can read it for free here (it won't let me link to it directly, but you need to go to 'horror' section then follow 'classical horror')

I think it would be a good idea to read short stories that we can read for free on the internet, because short stories are relatively difficult to get hold of. The only one I can think of that's readily available are dahl's short story anthology and joseph conrads 'heart of darkness'.
I'd suggest the Penguin 70s, but I think they've discontinued all of those unfortunately :/ I'm sure there are plenty of short stories lying around the Internet though.
Reply 23
steerpike
What about the short story 'the haunted house' by Charles Dickens? It's relatively short and you can read it for free here (it won't let me link to it directly, but you need to go to 'horror' section then follow 'classical horror')

I think it would be a good idea to read short stories that we can read for free on the internet, because short stories are relatively difficult to get hold of. The only one I can think of that's readily available are dahl's short story anthology and joseph conrads 'heart of darkness'.

I'm for the Charles Dickens one for now!
Reply 24
can we have a little logo ?? :biggrin:
I'll join.

I read Curious Incident already and I must say I really enjoyed it. It was so different to any of the sort of thing I'd usually read.

Having said that it was far to short. It only took me an afternoon. And I'm not a fast reader.
yes
Reply 27
gemby!
can we have a little logo ?? :biggrin:

the mods arn't accepting any new societies at the moment:frown:
Reply 28
Sorry I have been out of touch. I have just made the weird decision not to move to London and moved to Berlin instead.
I also picked up The Burning Girl by Mark Billingham. I read 2 of his other books and they are great, if you are into crime stuff that is.

So, my suggestions for the month OCTOBER for the book club are:
The Burning Girl - Mark Billingham
Diary - Chuck Palahniuk
Reply 29
Is noone interested in this anymore?
I guess with uni having started for some this has gotten a bit more difficult.

I would still like to keep this going though..... So come on.
Reply 30
How did I miss this thread before? I'm definitely interested, and like the short story idea. If we were reading longer books I don't think we could do one every week or two, one a month might be better. We could maybe work to work out a timetable of books for the next few months, get it posted either in here or in General Discussion, and then if other people were interested in a few of the books but not in being a proper member of the Book Club they could join in for those.
Or maybe we could read a few plays, or selections of poems?
So long as the book is reasonably good.

Latest

Trending

Trending