The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Torrresss
Would you not say Aristotle had a bigger impact on Christianity?

And anyway that isn't relative. What about the other 5 billion people that aren't Christian.

Nah, Aristotle actually went against Plato's forms, and his concept of the soul.

Plus, although 5 billion aren't christian, in the western world, Christian values are appreciated almost universally. Such as pity, compassion, etc, stemming from Plato's writings.

This isn't fact obviously, but after studying it for a year I seem pretty convinced
Reply 21
Isaac Newton's got to be in there somewhere. Socrates too. Difficult to say who's number one.
Reply 22
Zinfandel
The one who stood up.

Hehe, I likes. :wink:

The first person who popped into my head here was Plato, so I'll go with him.
Xenomorph v2.1
Look my friend, this thread is supposed to be about history and significant figures. Let's not make this about religion and making offensive statements, I'm genuinely interested to know the replies to the question so don't want it to be overshadowed by yet another religion-bashing rant.

well the girl said Abraham (s.a.w) is important personality and He did-i just corrected it.
Karl Marx obv
Reply 25
Zinfandel
The one who stood up.

Slim Shady? :holmes:
Xenomorph v2.1
I'm guessing it's one of the religious prophets? Jesus maybe?

we are here to actually give our opinion no dunder head like you have right to stop me for what i right.if you have a problem deal with it-ignorant
Reply 27
St Augustine of Hippo must be pretty high up there if we're talking christian theology.

Other than that I'd say....Charlemagne was pretty important as was Alfred the Great. Looking outside of Kings I'd say Gutenberg, can't underestimate the power of the printed word.
Reply 28
angrydanmarin
Nah, Aristotle actually went against Plato's forms, and his concept of the soul.

Plus, although 5 billion aren't christian, in the western world, Christian values are appreciated almost universally. Such as pity, compassion, etc, stemming from Plato's writings.

This isn't fact obviously, but after studying it for a year I seem pretty convinced

Was it not Aristotle who created the basis for the Judeo-Christian God? Prime mover and all that. I have only studied AS philosophy so you probably right haha

BUt there are older religions than Christianity, which took much of its ideas from a range of religions, ideas etc and merged them into one.

In fairness it is an impossible question.
angrydanmarin
Plato - He spouted values of the soul and heaven, thus 'creating' the values of Christianity. Some would say he was the cause of Christianity.

I'm going to challenge this and say that, perhaps, Jesus Christ contributed equally to the creation of Christianity.
Craig_D
Slim Shady? :holmes:

Hahaha.

Guess who's back!?
Reply 31
Significant people...Impossible to just name one :P
Socrates, Karl Marx, Charles Darwin, Abraham Lincoln, Locke, Einstein, Newton, Hawking, MJ...
Just to clarify when I said the one who stood up.

I didn't ******* mean Eminem, as fabulous as he may or may not be!
Reply 33
football123
Jesus

If it wasn't for the Roman government deliberately exploiting the power of Christianity to control the outer regions of its empire by saying 'if you commit crime X then you will spend your life in hell', then Christianity would have been largely unrecorded. Many religions were formed over the period and weren't seen by influential empires as useful.
Reply 34
Einstein?
Einstein - created the concept behind the atomic bomb. Without this, Hiroshima would not have happened, which is arguably one of the biggest contributors towards the end of the second world war. The contrivance of the atomic bomb provided influence for the creation of nuclear weapons.
Reply 36
I'm bet my own face that if this thread was in 2008 not a single person would pick Michael Jackson.

I, for obvious reasons, pick the Duke of Wellington. :p: However I also pick John Pym, without whom we would possibly still have an authoritarian monarchy, and a very, very different United States.
Jesus probably.
Reply 38
Zinfandel

Pardon my ignorance but, where is the Eminem connection? Because I was going in a completely different direction.
Reply 39
Zinfandel

:frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending