Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Bad times. All the more incentive for me to study further then! :biggrin:

I think I'll be taking the same approach - Master's it is then... :wink:
Reply 41
NothingOnYou
It's irrelevant, surely?

What was said, as over-zealous and short-sighted as it may seem, was completely correct. Better to realise it before, rather than after university.

Nobody goes to university to do badly ( I say this, obviously some don't care). Telling people they need to do well at uni to get the best jobs is not really a game changer is it.
I totally agree with only selecting candidates with a 2.1 - those who put the effort into their degree should be rewarded with increased job prospects than those that don't.

The downfall however, as with the whole recruitment process, is that 2.2 candidates with great experience may lose out to 2.1 candidates with little experience. But you have to draw the line somewhere as recruitment is a costly business :yep:
Anyone could do most graduate jobs. This is strictly for reducing admin work.
Reply 44
FizzyBovril
The downfall however, as with the whole recruitment process, is that 2.2 candidates with great experience may lose out to 2.1 candidates with little experience. But you have to draw the line somewhere as recruitment is a costly business :yep:

Well, this is only true for the big recruiters who have dedicated HR departments, automated online applications systems, etc.

There will be many small to medium sized companies who are less dismissive and are more likely to have more exacting requirements for recruitment.
I like to imagine that degree subject and university are taken into account in addition to the degree classification. I've got a 2.ii, but it's in maths from Cambridge and it is no exaggeration to say that a 1st at many universities in many subjects would have been a cakewalk for me.
Reply 46
reviresco
(edited 13 years ago)
/dev/null
Good for you.

This country is a mess.

Give it 10 years then come back, for now, run while you can

LoL I laugh because my dad said that the other day - ''get your degree and leave this country''!!
Reply 48
innerhollow
It's obvious to you of course, but who says it's obvious to everyone else? There's a lot of oversensitivity when it comes to informing people about university and job entry generally. Teachers just spout warm, fuzzy crap like "Do a degree you like. Study at a uni you like. Employers don't mind. Everything's lovely in the grad market!!". Seriously, throughout your life, they say that stuff constantly, trying to appease and make the students feel good rather than inform them. Students have got to know it's not gonna be easy.

Teachers don't give you the straight facts which are, "The graduate market is a tough place for most people. Take every advantage you can get, and if you don't get a 2:1, the graduate market will turn from 'tough' to 'absurdly difficult' to succeed in".

So you may think ISA's posts are stating the obvious, but they are really not.

Well I might say that the bit about Hard traditional courses and reputable uni are wrong, unless you are going to a technical job related to your degree it does seem doing any degree anywhere is enough for a lot of grad entry schemes as long as you hit a 2.1.
im so academic
It makes life easier, imo, if you:

*Get a 1st
*Study a traditional/academic/"proper" subject
*Study at a good institution
*Obtain relevant work experience
*Do summer placements/interships

lol, did all five of those and I got a job fine. :biggrin:

Also, you forgot to mention good EC's.
Reply 50
Chumbaniya
I like to imagine that degree subject and university are taken into account in addition to the degree classification. I've got a 2.ii, but it's in maths from Cambridge and it is no exaggeration to say that a 1st at many universities in many subjects would have been a cakewalk for me.

No bud, you are not in the same league as a 2.1 from Edge Hill
ritchie888
Well, it's not surprising, is it?

Exactly, it's like being surprised that Oxford or Cambridge ask for AAA/A*AA.
im so academic
It makes life easier, imo, if you:

*Get a 1st
*Study a traditional/academic/"proper" subject
*Study at a good institution
*Obtain relevant work experience
*Do summer placements/interships

Not necessarily.. I've heard English graduates are finding it harder and harder to get jobs compared to those doing certain "mickey mouse" degrees. But apart from that I agree.
Reply 53
Imson

Degree classification was more widely used as a selection criterion than relevant work experience (34%) or degree subject (33%) or going to a particular university (7%).

Judging by those stats, degree classification would be 26% so therefore less than 2 of the others. Not sure if anyone else noticed this...
Well it's nothing new at all. The thing bothering me is how difficult it is getting work experience! Most employers want a good degree and work experience - but it's hard to come by during term time because it's not offered and now it's even worse during the summer due to competition. I've always aimed for a 2:1+, as I suspect most TSR users do, so this news is not shocking. Work exp is worrying me much more.
Reply 55
im so academic
This.

How the hell is a 1st from Oxford the same from Oxford Brookes/Thames Valley or whatever?

Simple answer.

It isn't.
99.9% of employers know that.
I'm not really that surprised. I read in the BBC News article about it that 2/3 of graduates get a 2:1 or a First, so I can see why employers just get rid of the bottom 1/3.
morecambebay
What exactly is the problem with employers wanting people who got good grades at university?
the major problem, really, is that it is significantly more difficult to get a 2:ii in Engineering at a top university than it is to get a 2:i in history at a lesser one.

In a sense it's a grotesque waste of talent for the purposes of decreasing personnel dept workload.
Dnator
Yes, but she is a kid not even doing A levels :s-smilie:

Just annoying little snobbish kids commenting when even attending uni is a long way off. Yes, she made some obvious points.

I agree with what she is saying and I've left uni.
Reply 59
Well I might say that the bit about Hard traditional courses and reputable uni are wrong, unless you are going to a technical job related to your degree it does seem doing any degree anywhere is enough for a lot of grad entry schemes as long as you hit a 2.1.

I certainly hope your right, for those of us whose degrees are *ahem* difficult to apply to a real life work situation.

Latest

Trending

Trending