The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Joint Hons St Andrews or Nat Sci or Lancaster nat sc

Would like to study bio and Chem jointly but not biochemistry degree.
Looking at Joint Bio and Chem St Andrews
Or Nat Sciences Lancaster. Was concerned how Lancaster organised with sort of pick and mix approach and how employers viewed Nat Sci.
Any insights to joint Hons welcome. Downside is four years v three.
Not into clubbing so not looking big city uni experience.
Hi!
I’m Ella, a MSci Natural sciences graduate, just graduated a couple months ago. If you’re looking for a pretty, nice campus uni with very few clubs and a small but lovely city next to it then Lancaster is perfect.

The course here is the most flexible you’ll find, you can continue to refine what you’re interested in and it’s great for following the parts of chemistry and biology that interest you!
I did biology, maths and physics in my first year, you could do 1/3 bio, 2/3 Chem or 1/3 Chem, 2/3 bio. Even if you start your degree doing 2/3 Chem, you could be doing all bio by the last year or 50/50 or any split. That’s the best part!

The campus is so pretty and town is a 10/15 min bus ride away, hour walk or 20 min cycle ride. Campus has everything you might want from shops to cafes and an ice cream place. Town is so cute, I’d never been to Lancaster before my open day but it’s got so many cute cafes, loads of pubs and restaurants, a free museum, a library, a vue cinema, a student only club and a good train station. Williamson park is very pretty and if you like hiking the train goes to Windermere or you can get the 555 bus into the lakes.

Campus feels really safe, even in the early morning, and it’s a lovely place to be. 😁
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
Thanks Ella. That's very helpful
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Would like to study bio and Chem jointly but not biochemistry degree.
Looking at Joint Bio and Chem St Andrews
Or Nat Sciences Lancaster. Was concerned how Lancaster organised with sort of pick and mix approach and how employers viewed Nat Sci.
Any insights to joint Hons welcome. Downside is four years v three.
Not into clubbing so not looking big city uni experience.

You can go for second year entry and so reduce down to three years.
Reply 4
Original post by S1098
You can go for second year entry and so reduce down to three years.

I didn't think you can go down to three years on joint hons programme - just single hons. I will re-read the prospectus.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
I didn't think you can go down to three years on joint hons programme - just single hons. I will re-read the prospectus.

You can do direct entry for some joint degrees. Oddly though biology and chemistry isn't listed on the 2nd yr direct entry page. But if you look at the programme requirements page for biology and chemistry it shows modules to pick for direct entry. So looks like it is possible. I'd email the uni to check, if you are interested.
Reply 6
Original post by S1098
You can do direct entry for some joint degrees. Oddly though biology and chemistry isn't listed on the 2nd yr direct entry page. But if you look at the programme requirements page for biology and chemistry it shows modules to pick for direct entry. So looks like it is possible. I'd email the uni to check, if you are interested.

Found this:

https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/subjects/chemistry/chemistry-bsc-2024/direct/#entry-requirements

So it is possible!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending