The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
A 2.2 will put you at a disadvantage, but I wouldn't say it is the end of the world.
Reply 21
Less than 2:1 is career suicide
Reply 22
morecambebay
...graduated from oxford at a time when very very few people even went to university. She isnt relevant to today.

Actually....She graduated from Sidney Sussex College at University of Cambridge in 1978.
Reply 23
What about 2.2 from Cambridge? I guess it still means you're a failure.
no. a fail is a fail. a 2:1 is a 2:1.
if you're asking if its a fail - yes, i'd consider it a fail of rather epic proportions, considering you've effectively wasted a great opportunity/ 3 years/ moneys.
I agree. My brother got a 2.2 and does not stand a chance. He hasn't done anything with his degree, and is working a job he could've done without a degree.
Reply 26
ovenglove
The majority of employers require at least a 2:1 and many graduate schemes do too. To get any decent job, you need a 2:1 or higher to stand a chance with the job. If you get a 2:2, you will get a crap job in the future and all those fees you paid for university will be wasted. What do you think?:smile:

Practically. It never used to be, but only 2:1 and 1sts are of any use now.
Reply 27
Essentially it will be harder but it completely depends on what profession you want to enter. It may close some doors but not all of them by any means. Also if you get a 2:2 see if there any post grad courses that you could get on that set you apart from the crowd. Whatever happens it won't be a waste of money as it is still a degree.
Reply 28
Tyrannosaurus Cal
I got a 2:2 and I'm sure something will turn up. Let's not get hysterical now.

Edit: And all the people who are obsessed with the 2:1 classification are the fun people who can't wait to get a job in Recruitment Consultancy, like they always dreamed of when they were a little kid. They're fun they are.

What a bitter post!
What a bitter post!

Sorry, I've just been trying to look on the bright side of getting a 2:2 and it's all getting a bit old! We're all graduates so we'll all be unemployed for the next year anyway, so we might as well all just have an orgy.

Floating the idea there.
Reply 30
morecambebay
...graduated from oxford at a time when very very few people even went to university. She isnt relevant to today.

Cambridge actually mate
A 2:2 will ruin most of your plans but if you prepared carefully and applied to the correct places and begged you could still turn your life around. So a 2:2 is not the end of the world but it's pretty bad.
Reply 32
I know a guy who got a 2:2 once, and now he works at McDonalds.

Actually, that's not a funny joke as it could happen.
Makes things alot harder.
Reply 34
This is such ********. To say that every person whom obtained a 2.2 is a failure is like saying everyone whom obtains a 1st is guaranteed success. Life is a marathon , persistence pays. A 2.1 or 1st will probably be needed for some professions; think big banks and management consultancies. If your life is defined by a number, that's a fail. A big one.
TheQueenOfComputerScience
Makes things alot harder.

This.

I've you've managed to meet people, or "network" (I despise the use of the word) and/or build-up a credible CV with relevant work experience, then all is not lost.

If you went to uni, watched TV the whole day, came out with a 2.2 and nothing else to show, I'd rather you than me.
Reply 36
Friend of mine got a third a couple of years ago in ComSci and upon graduation walked straight into a very well paying job which included being a consultant for MI5 & 6 on mobile phone security. If you can sell yourself well even a third is not useless. The job I start soon is not based upon my degree (thank God) but on the fact that in the interviews I could show how I would be beneficial to the organisation.

Oh and for the 16 year olds on this thread 11A*s at GCSE DOES NOT mean that you will be able to stroll your way to a first class degree
Unity
This is such ********. To say that every person whom obtained a 2.2 is a failure is like saying everyone whom obtains a 1st is guaranteed success. Life is a marathon , persistence pays. A 2.1 or 1st will probably be needed for some professions; think big banks and management consultancies. If your life is defined by a number, that's a fail. A big one.

Yes and no. My life, nor anyone else's life is not dependant upon how I interpret a number or result, it is dependant upon how someone else, namely the person who may or may not be offering me a job interprets it.

It's dependant upon what else you accomplished at university. Most graduates leave with a 2.1 or above, so it obviously helps tremendously to have other qualifications or experiences to prove yourself. Given the importance of 'extra-curriculars' the last thing that you need is a 2.2 or worse on your CV.
js374
Friend of mine got a third a couple of years ago in ComSci and upon graduation walked straight into a very well paying job which included being a consultant for MI5 & 6 on mobile phone security. If you can sell yourself well even a third is not useless. The job I start soon is not based upon my degree (thank God) but on the fact that in the interviews I could show how I would be beneficial to the organisation.

Oh and for the 16 year olds on this thread 11A*s at GCSE DOES NOT mean that you will be able to stroll your way to a first class degree

A: Don't MI5/6 start at <£22k?
B: Doesn't joining the security services mean your not meant to tell anyone else?
Reply 39
NothingOnYou
A: Don't MI5/6 start at <£22k?
B: Doesn't joining the security services mean your not meant to tell anyone else?

A: Consultant - ie working for a private company which provides services to the security services not actually working for them.
B: As with A and has now moved to a different company and his CV includes the words "provided consultancy services to the UK security services".

Latest

Trending

Trending