The Student Room Group

ACNE SCARS!!! any recommendations? Creams won't work? Operation is the only solution?

So I've had this horrible acne for almost 5 years now
I'm 18 now

so I've stopped having acne, just the redness (lots of them), a couple of blackheads, and acne SCARS!

firstly,
1. should I remove the blackheads? some doctors say yes and some say no...the doctor I used to go first used to use fruit acid and remove the blackheads, which causes even more redness...my parents think that the doctor is not good because you're not supposed to remove blackheads and that they naturally fall off. is this true?

2. WHEN will the DAMN redness go?? they are on my cheeks and so annoying! :frown:

My BIGGEST concern though, is this:

3. ACNE scars! yeah I know, I should't have picked at my pimples, didnt listen to my parents, but it's been 2 years and I didnt touch my face. There are those small little holes, scars left behind. It's really destroying my self esteem and I cant look people into the eyes when talking to them.

I ask you TSR, what is the cure for this? Will creams work? Or must I do surgery or like an operation and get new skin? Laser perhaps? though I heard that this worsens the skin...dont know what to do...I'm off to college in septemeber, so is it possible to get rid of my acne scars before heading off to college? I want to start a fresh new life with a fresh look

Thank you TSR, I really appreciate it :smile:

Scroll to see replies

A good Chemical peel could do the trick.
Bio-Oil maybe
A good cream - Karin Herzog?

A combination over time. Good luck.
Reply 2
SylvesterTheCat
A good Chemical peel could do the trick.
Bio-Oil maybe
A good cream - Karin Herzog?

A combination over time. Good luck.

what's the fastest guaranteed method? Can it work in 2 months? which do you recommed? which is more/less expensive?

also, by chemical peel, do they fix the acne scars in one day or must I go to several sessions?
Reply 4
Vybz Kartel

This. Definitely.

Works like a charm. I swear it must have extracts of Christ's semen.
i think a chemical peel will have the best effect.
Anonymous
what's the fastest guaranteed method? Can it work in 2 months? which do you recommed? which is more/less expensive?

also, by chemical peel, do they fix the acne scars in one day or must I go to several sessions?

I think if you have a small budget and lots of time. Then bio-oil should be okay - won't give amazing results but it is highly rated in the scar removing department.
Karin Herzog (Or another good cream) products are quite expensive but are known to be quite effective. - But this could take time.
If you're looking for immediate (2 months is a fairly short time to get rid of acne scars), then a Chemical Peel is likely to be more effective and isn't as scary as it sounds. There is some recovery time 5-7 days for the new skin to start showing through, and for the old skin to peel off. The amount of times you go back would depend on how much scarring you actually have. There are different variations on the theme when it comes to peels, but you'll need a profession to check your skin out and advise you on what would be best for you.
If you do choose the Chemical Peel, make sure it's with a reputable organisation/ dermatologist. You don't want your face falling off. :woo: :p:

In any case, regardless of what you choose. You have to think long term if you're wanting to get your skin looking as close to flawless as possible.
Good luck again
Reply 7
Anonymous
So I've had this horrible acne for almost 5 years now
I'm 18 now

so I've stopped having acne, just the redness (lots of them), a couple of blackheads, and acne SCARS!

firstly,
1. should I remove the blackheads? some doctors say yes and some say no...the doctor I used to go first used to use fruit acid and remove the blackheads, which causes even more redness...my parents think that the doctor is not good because you're not supposed to remove blackheads and that they naturally fall off. is this true?

2. WHEN will the DAMN redness go?? they are on my cheeks and so annoying! :frown:

My BIGGEST concern though, is this:

3. ACNE scars! yeah I know, I should't have picked at my pimples, didnt listen to my parents, but it's been 2 years and I didnt touch my face. There are those small little holes, scars left behind. It's really destroying my self esteem and I cant look people into the eyes when talking to them.

I ask you TSR, what is the cure for this? Will creams work? Or must I do surgery or like an operation and get new skin? Laser perhaps? though I heard that this worsens the skin...dont know what to do...I'm off to college in septemeber, so is it possible to get rid of my acne scars before heading off to college? I want to start a fresh new life with a fresh look

Thank you TSR, I really appreciate it :smile:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/forums.html

Plenty of info here.
Reply 8
Well I have an Asian friend, asian people tend to get acne scars a lot! She used accutane and it is all gone. It's quite a lethal drug (get it via hospital appointment i think), and it cleared her face up totally!
The best cure for scars is time, I hate to say it and when I was where you are I was trying everything and really insecure

I had terrible scarring and redness a few years ago, now I have no redness at all and scarring is really minimal

If you are a girl use a good foundation to even out your complexion

I went to a private consultation about laser treatment for scarring and came away not wanting it, I was told that it is extremely painful when the skin is healing (I saw a girl who had had it doen and her skin was red raw) plus the doctor said that I would still have to wear makeup afterwards as the laser itself leaves?!

I'm sure there are all sorts of creams out there that should help, everyone recommends bio oil but I don't like it as it's really greasy. I use the clinique three step system and it has worked wonders! My skin isn't perfect but it is so much better than it was four years ago
Reply 10
SylvesterTheCat
I think if you have a small budget and lots of time. Then bio-oil should be okay - won't give amazing results but it is highly rated in the scar removing department.
Karin Herzog (Or another good cream) products are quite expensive but are known to be quite effective. - But this could take time.
If you're looking for immediate (2 months is a fairly short time to get rid of acne scars), then a Chemical Peel is likely to be more effective and isn't as scary as it sounds. There is some recovery time 5-7 days for the new skin to start showing through, and for the old skin to peel off. The amount of times you go back would depend on how much scarring you actually have. There are different variations on the theme when it comes to peels, but you'll need a profession to check your skin out and advise you on what would be best for you.
If you do choose the Chemical Peel, make sure it's with a reputable organisation/ dermatologist. You don't want your face falling off. :woo: :p:

In any case, regardless of what you choose. You have to think long term if you're wanting to get your skin looking as close to flawless as possible.
Good luck again

thank u so much!!!!!! :biggrin:
When will people realise that the default answer to all "OMG i haz scars" questions is "Bio Oil"?
Reply 12
Anonymous
The best cure for scars is time, I hate to say it and when I was where you are I was trying everything and really insecure

I had terrible scarring and redness a few years ago, now I have no redness at all and scarring is really minimal

If you are a girl use a good foundation to even out your complexion

I went to a private consultation about laser treatment for scarring and came away not wanting it, I was told that it is extremely painful when the skin is healing (I saw a girl who had had it doen and her skin was red raw) plus the doctor said that I would still have to wear makeup afterwards as the laser itself leaves?!

I'm sure there are all sorts of creams out there that should help, everyone recommends bio oil but I don't like it as it's really greasy. I use the clinique three step system and it has worked wonders! My skin isn't perfect but it is so much better than it was four years ago

I'm a guy...and are u sure time heals acne scars? my uncle had them as a child and are still visible now in his 50s
Put baby powder on after the Bio oil's absorbed in a bit, stops it being so oily and shiny, and makes it super soft<3.
Reply 14
I have ********* of scars on my shoulders. I don't really care, they don't have a huge effect on my appearance, and I wouldn't care for anyone who judged me on them.

For blackheads, there's a small tool you can buy at most pharmacies that can get rid of them. It basically pushes down on the skin around it, raising the blackhead out. Looks like the eye in a needle, but slightly larger, and obviously not on a needle.
Reply 15
joey!
I have ********* of scars on my shoulders. I don't really care, they don't have a huge effect on my appearance, and I wouldn't care for anyone who judged me on them.

For blackheads, there's a small tool you can buy at most pharmacies that can get rid of them. It basically pushes down on the skin around it, raising the blackhead out. Looks like the eye in a needle, but slightly larger, and obviously not on a needle.

yeah I have that, but some people said you shouldn't remove it??? :confused:
they say it will fall off naturally, but some people say remove it so bacteria wont form! dont know what to do mate :frown:
Reply 16
Anonymous
yeah I have that, but some people said you shouldn't remove it??? :confused:
they say it will fall off naturally, but some people say remove it so bacteria wont form! dont know what to do mate :frown:

Eh your choice. If the blackheads are really noticeable then sterilise the tool and get rid of them. The skin will be red for a little when, but at least you'll have gotten rid of the blackhead :smile:
Reply 17
Manuka Honey. It surprisingly works. Bit expensive though.
Wow i was just thinking about this yesterday. I had acne a bit over a year ago, it has all cleared up completely but not i just have marks left behind on my cheaks, which i take it are these scars everybody refers to.
Ok so if i use bio oil how much and how often should i use it? and how long does it take to make the scars to be only a bit visible?

Thanks
Are they indented? if so creams will do jack ****

Latest