The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1980
Original post by Heptapus
I would try and do something other than Sociology as it is considered a soft subject as what you call "reasonable" universities.

Universities are interested in your maths skills, I would definitely encourage further maths and do some upfront reading so it isn't as hard.

What about doing further mathematics for AS instead?
Reply 1981
Original post by Pandora.
Thanks for the advice! I'll try and find a good place to ask in the UCL forum :smile:.
I just checked and Psychology is on AQA at my Sixth Form. I'm slightly swayed by the ghost hunting trip we've been promised... :ninja:
I've got a French GCSE :awesome:. Thanks for telling me about the exam-style paper, I don't know that :h:.

EDIT: Out of interest, what A Levels did you take?

Didn't see this until now - English Lit (err, obviously :tongue:), Psychology, Film Studies and AS Photography. And given how unfantastic my GCSEs are (in relation to other people anyway, I don't have any A*s :redface:) I'm really surprised I got offers at all, but I'm not gonna complain :biggrin:, applying post A level probably helped my chances a lot...

(and um, what has ghost hunting got to do with Psychology? :indiff:)
Reply 1982
hi really need help deciding.
I want to do medicine or pharmacy in university.
The subjects i picked so far are biology chemistry and psychology and i dont know what to do as my 4th subject. I picked health and social care before but i dont want to do it anymore. I spoke to a friend whos doin pharmacy at uni and she said she thinks maths is important and she thinks i should do maths but the thing is i am not good at maths the highest i could possibly get at gcse level is a b and i will stuggle.
I checked on some university websites and the course requirrements dont say maths. I really dont know what to pick
Original post by Vekeh
Didn't see this until now - English Lit (err, obviously :tongue:), Psychology, Film Studies and AS Photography. And given how unfantastic my GCSEs are (in relation to other people anyway, I don't have any A*s :redface:) I'm really surprised I got offers at all, but I'm not gonna complain :biggrin:, applying post A level probably helped my chances a lot...

(and um, what has ghost hunting got to do with Psychology? :indiff:)

BIB: I don't have a clue :dontknow:

Ah, they sound like good choices. I hope you enjoy your course :biggrin:.
Switch to Further Maths because of the reasons you just said. :h:

Which universities are you intending on applying to?

I am planning to apply to 2 or 3 of the Ivy leagues i.ePrinceton,MIT(God forgive me ) and Carnegie Melon.Apart from this i will apply to Mcgill in Canada,Imperial (not so sure) and another random uni,easy to get in that is.Regarding the problem,which unit for further maths do you think i should choose?
1.FP1,FP2,M2,S2,D1,D2
2.FP1,FP2,FP3,M2,D1,D2
3.FP1,FP2,M1,M2,M3,D1
4.FP1,FP2,FP3,M1,M2,S2
Are you gonna study computer science too?
There's nothing wrong with doing a science A level if you don't want to take it further, it's still a really good A level to have. I would advise against taking media or any other "soft subject". Take a hard one that you think you might enjoy and then you've got a good choice when choosing which to continue to A2. Sociology may be a bit soft, but it would fit in between politics and psychology if you're looking for something complementary.

What I did when I was wondering which A levels to take was go to a big bookshop, to the section with CGP revision guides, and nose through some AS level books. Some subjects looked awful and I knew not to take them. Others seemed really interesting. Maybe this will help :smile: the important thing is to try and find out what you're letting yourself in for and to be serious about the subjects you take :smile:
hi! i'm starting sixth form in september and i'm struggling to chose which language i want to take. it's between french and spanish and i've tried every thought path i can but can't seem to decide between the two. i was planning on seeing the better result at gcse however i feel like i may get the same grade in both... so are there any recommendations on which is better/ easier/ most useful? since i don't seem to have a preference i want to do the one i'll get the best grade in!

extra info: i'm wanting to study medicine at uni and the other AS's im taking are biology, chemistry and then fast track maths!

thank you :smile:
Original post by madimoment
hi! i'm starting sixth form in september and i'm struggling to chose which language i want to take. it's between french and spanish and i've tried every thought path i can but can't seem to decide between the two. i was planning on seeing the better result at gcse however i feel like i may get the same grade in both... so are there any recommendations on which is better/ easier/ most useful? since i don't seem to have a preference i want to do the one i'll get the best grade in!

extra info: i'm wanting to study medicine at uni and the other AS's im taking are biology, chemistry and then fast track maths!

thank you :smile:

In my opinion French would be slightly more useful but there's not a great deal in it. It won't make a difference for medicine anyway, unless you want to practice in a particular country. :smile:
Original post by c3ntury
Hey all,

I'm dead set on doing Computer Science at a *reasonable* university, and am somewhat confused as to what the best A-level choices for me would be.

So far I've gotten this -
Computing (A2)
Physics (A2)
Maths (A2)
Sociology (AS)

I don't think I could handle further mathematics :/ What advice / opinions can you give on my current choices?

Sociology isn't considered a very demanding A-level but as it's your 4th subject it shouldn't matter too much. Unless you want to get into the very top universities those choices are fine.
I'm choosing English Literature next year (although it's only a few weeks away :smile:) alongside Chemistry, Maths and Physics. I'm quite worried about English Literature; I've heard from many people both here on TSR and in reality that the AQA exams board (which is the board my school follows for English Lit A-level) are extremely harsh :frown:

Has anyone else hear had any experience with AQA English Literature B?
Original post by issyconnor
I'm choosing English Literature next year (although it's only a few weeks away :smile:) alongside Chemistry, Maths and Physics. I'm quite worried about English Literature; I've heard from many people both here on TSR and in reality that the AQA exams board (which is the board my school follows for English Lit A-level) are extremely harsh :frown:

Has anyone else hear had any experience with AQA English Literature B?

Myself and many others will be able to answer this tomorrow.:tongue: But, I'd say it's about mastering the mark scheme, I hope I aint jinxed it.
Original post by Tsunami2011
Myself and many others will be able to answer this tomorrow.:tongue: But, I'd say it's about mastering the mark scheme, I hope I aint jinxed it.

I really hope you get the grade you want :smile: Good luck with your results.

I've heard that you don't get a lot of time for each question.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by jacksonrr24
I am planning to apply to 2 or 3 of the Ivy leagues i.ePrinceton,MIT(God forgive me ) and Carnegie Melon.Apart from this i will apply to Mcgill in Canada,Imperial (not so sure) and another random uni,easy to get in that is.Regarding the problem,which unit for further maths do you think i should choose?
1.FP1,FP2,M2,S2,D1,D2
2.FP1,FP2,FP3,M2,D1,D2
3.FP1,FP2,M1,M2,M3,D1
4.FP1,FP2,FP3,M1,M2,S2

What do you mean '2 or three of the ivy leagues'. MIT is not an ivy league school neither is Carnegie Mellon; the only Ivy league school you listed was Princeton.

Yet another 10 y/o troll on tSR.
Original post by jacksonrr24
1.FP1,FP2,M2,S2,D1,D2
2.FP1,FP2,FP3,M2,D1,D2
3.FP1,FP2,M1,M2,M3,D1
4.FP1,FP2,FP3,M1,M2,S2

I would do ones that include decision and Mechanical. I would maybe do M1,M2,S1,S2,D1,D1 with the FP1 and 2.

I hope to do Maths and Computer Science joint. :h:
Original post by c3ntury
What about doing further mathematics for AS instead?

I would definitely try doing that, universities understand that not all sixth forms/colleges take further maths to A2.

I would definitely recommend taking it.
Reply 1995
Original post by Clumsy_Chemist
There's nothing wrong with doing a science A level if you don't want to take it further, it's still a really good A level to have. I would advise against taking media or any other "soft subject". Take a hard one that you think you might enjoy and then you've got a good choice when choosing which to continue to A2. Sociology may be a bit soft, but it would fit in between politics and psychology if you're looking for something complementary.

What I did when I was wondering which A levels to take was go to a big bookshop, to the section with CGP revision guides, and nose through some AS level books. Some subjects looked awful and I knew not to take them. Others seemed really interesting. Maybe this will help :smile: the important thing is to try and find out what you're letting yourself in for and to be serious about the subjects you take :smile:

I actually did this for Chemistry because I am serious about taking that and some of the stuff sorta made sense to me, which i was really happy about. And the 3 a levels that i've already decided on, i think i'll really enjoy and work hard on.

I think i might just go for History... it's one i enjoyed in gcse and it's not a 'soft subject' or should i take sociology? i also took that in gcse and i'm doing better in sociology than history not hugely better but a bit better. i think i might just go for history...

thanks for your help :smile:
Original post by RaHiNa
I actually did this for Chemistry because I am serious about taking that and some of the stuff sorta made sense to me, which i was really happy about. And the 3 a levels that i've already decided on, i think i'll really enjoy and work hard on.

I think i might just go for History... it's one i enjoyed in gcse and it's not a 'soft subject' or should i take sociology? i also took that in gcse and i'm doing better in sociology than history not hugely better but a bit better. i think i might just go for history...

thanks for your help :smile:

Do it, history is a great subject! :biggrin:
Reply 1997
Original post by Clumsy_Chemist
Do it, history is a great subject! :biggrin:

did you take it? what did you take by the way?
Reply 1998
I am in a HUGE dilemma! Originally, my AS-Level subjects were English Lit, Geography and History with Economics (dropping it at A2).

However, I REALLY enjoyed English Language at iGCSE level and would love to continue it (to an AS) this year. People have told me that Economics is highly regarded and more respected than English Language. I also struggled tremendously in Maths and Business Studies in iGCSE and people have told me you need be confident in both of them to succeed in AS Economics. While going through the syllabus of Economics, nothing really intrigued me and I'm guessing I won't be enjoying the subject and will be taking it as a formality as it is more respected than English Language.

So, can anyone help me? Economics or English Language? :frown:

I want to do English Lit. at university, if it helps :smile:
Reply 1999
I would definitely try doing that, universities understand that not all sixth forms/colleges take further maths to A2.

I would definitely recommend taking it.

I'm hearing a lot that Computing is seen as a soft subject and therefore should be avoided.. but I'm not sure to put in it's place :/ If I should replace it at all :s-smilie:

Latest