The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3980
Hey, I'm starting my A levels in a few weeks but I'm tempted to change my 4th choice... I've gone for English Lit, History World, Psychology and Government and Politics, which is what I'm deciding whether or not to change:/ I got 4 A's and 7 B's in my GCSE's but I feel that this would be a too heavy workload for me and I'd become too stressed with it whilst managing a job and social life too. So, I've been thinking maybe Business, as I got an A in that in GCSE or maybe Drama..but I didn't do it to GCSE but I've always enjoyed it. Can someone give me some advice asap as I need to make a decision soon! If there is any other suggestions for suitable A levels that would work well I'm willing to listen! thanks xx
Alright, I want to study Psychology at uni. I've chosen Physics, Biology, Maths, & FMaths for A-Level. I like Physics, FMaths will give me access to more Stats modules, and Biology and Maths are the only subjects I've seen suggested by unis for psychology.

However, I'm aware that Psychology is an essay based subject, so I was wondering if it would put me at a disadvantage to not take an essay based subject for A-Level. I know unis don't ask for them, but do you recommend taking one? My dad says he can set me psychology essays over the two years to keep my essay-writing skills up, but it's obviously not the same.

Also, if I'm saying what I'd like to do at uni (to teachers, unis, etc.) is it better to say 'read' or 'study'? I just think I'd sound a bit pretentious saying 'read'.
Original post by alana0308
I want to do architecture at uni, I'm so unsure about my A level subject options
I'm planning to take:
Maths
Art
Chemistry
Geography or history of art

is this a weird combination?
does anyone know the common a level subjects that people take to go on to read architecture?

Those are perfectly fine for architecture, as long as you have art to A2 level you will be fine getting into some of the best architecture schools. I had similar choices and although they seemed like an odd combination they actually fitted to architecture really well and I got offers from Nottingham, Sheffield and Newcastle, which are highly ranked. So don't worry about having an odd combination as long as you know you will enjoy them.

I would say other than art, maths is common but not neccessary and geography seems to be a fairly popular choice too, at least from people I've talked to.
Original post by CookieInOrange
Alright, I want to study Psychology at uni. I've chosen Physics, Biology, Maths, & FMaths for A-Level. I like Physics, FMaths will give me access to more Stats modules, and Biology and Maths are the only subjects I've seen suggested by unis for psychology.

However, I'm aware that Psychology is an essay based subject, so I was wondering if it would put me at a disadvantage to not take an essay based subject for A-Level. I know unis don't ask for them, but do you recommend taking one? My dad says he can set me psychology essays over the two years to keep my essay-writing skills up, but it's obviously not the same.

Also, if I'm saying what I'd like to do at uni (to teachers, unis, etc.) is it better to say 'read' or 'study'? I just think I'd sound a bit pretentious saying 'read'.

Your subject choices are fine for Psychology at university. Most universities will expect one of Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Physics. You more than meet those requirements.

Biology has essay content, and so not taking an essay subject won't disadvantage you in terms of admissions. However, if you feel you would like an established essay subject then you should consider which subject you would be willing to drop so you can accommodate this subject. There are many essay subjects to choose from: History, English, Psychology, Sociology (as a 4th AS), etc.

Personally, I would say 'study'. Throughout my education I've 'studied' subjects and not 'read' them. 'Reading' a subject is only really introduced when you attend university. If it isn't natural for you to say 'read' and you feel awkward or lack confidence in doing so, then just say 'study'.
Original post by ChrisP8
Hey, I'm starting my A levels in a few weeks but I'm tempted to change my 4th choice... I've gone for English Lit, History World, Psychology and Government and Politics, which is what I'm deciding whether or not to change:/ I got 4 A's and 7 B's in my GCSE's but I feel that this would be a too heavy workload for me and I'd become too stressed with it whilst managing a job and social life too. So, I've been thinking maybe Business, as I got an A in that in GCSE or maybe Drama..but I didn't do it to GCSE but I've always enjoyed it. Can someone give me some advice asap as I need to make a decision soon! If there is any other suggestions for suitable A levels that would work well I'm willing to listen! thanks xx

Is there anything in particular you want to do at uni?
You're quite right, there will be quite a heavy workload with four essay subjects. So if you're not willing to spend more time on those subjects (which is understandable), I recommend you go for the subject that you think you enjoy more/have a greater interest in. :smile:

There isn't really any set subjects that you need to do a psychology degree (except some uni's regard science subjects highly) so in that sense, your subjects are quite good. However, as you said, there is quite a bit of essay writing in psychology so maybe doing a subject like English lit would help you in the psychology course. So i do recommend you take an essay subject just to keep your essay writing skills intact :smile:

Edit: Oh darn, beaten by Tullia :tongue:
Original post by Tullia
However, if you feel you would like an established essay subject then you should consider which subject you would be willing to drop so you can accommodate this subject. There are many essay subjects to choose from: History, English, Psychology, Sociology (as a 4th AS), etc.

Okay, thanks. If I took an essay subject it would be a fifth AS, so I was only going to if people thought it was a really good idea. I think I'll just stick to my four :smile:
Okay, thanks. If I took an essay subject it would be a fifth AS, so I was only going to if people thought it was a really good idea. I think I'll just stick to my four :smile:

I wasn't questioning your ability to cope with the workload, but having such a combination of subjects and then adding an essay-based subject to that would be quite some task.

Given your subjects are fine - and Biology does have an essay component - then I would recommend that you stick to the four subjects and ensure that you achieve the required grades. That would be preferred to taking an essay-based subject as a fifth AS and then having it impact on your grades in your other subjects.
Reply 3987
Original post by usycool1
Is there anything in particular you want to do at uni?
You're quite right, there will be quite a heavy workload with four essay subjects. So if you're not willing to spend more time on those subjects (which is understandable), I recommend you go for the subject that you think you enjoy more/have a greater interest in. :smile:

There isn't anything I want to do exactly, but I'm not too keen on Sciences or DT style stuff..
Reply 3988
Okay,
So i want to medicine in the future
and in my school you must take 4 chosen alevels plus General Studies
I have chosen to do:
-Maths
-Biology
-Chemistry
-Psychology
-General Studies
-Spanish at standard level (beginners level)

My questions
1) My friends say psychology is a black listed subject by universities by medicine and is seen as a 'soft' subject and i realy wouldnt like my alevel choices to hinder my oppurtunity seeing as my gcses didnt go as well as i hoped although i am very interested in psychology and am looking forward to it.
-So what do you think about psychology for medicine?
-Should i swap it for physics ( which is another subject i really wanted to take but was afraid it would be difficult)

2) I only just realised this has turned into 6 a levels... I have put down as my choice for this year as level, spanish standard level but im lanning on dropping it the first day back because i dont want to be overloaded with work and have never done spanish before also im not sure if an a level at standard level is like a foundation course in gcse.
-should i take spanish as an extra?
-is a standard level gcse like foundation where the highest grade you can acheive is a C or something?

this is only for AS level and im planning on doing 3 subjects for A2 ( chem, bio, maths)
Sorry this is so long :tongue: any help would be appreciated :smile:
Thank you
Original post by swaggy
Okay,
So i want to medicine in the future
and in my school you must take 4 chosen alevels plus General Studies
I have chosen to do:
-Maths
-Biology
-Chemistry
-Psychology
-General Studies
-Spanish at standard level (beginners level)

My questions
1) My friends say psychology is a black listed subject by universities by medicine and is seen as a 'soft' subject and i realy wouldnt like my alevel choices to hinder my oppurtunity seeing as my gcses didnt go as well as i hoped although i am very interested in psychology and am looking forward to it.
-Should i swap it for physics ( which is another subject i really wanted to take but was afraid it would be difficult)

2) I only just realised this has turned into 6 a levels... I have put down as my choice for this year as level, spanish standard level but im lanning on dropping it the first day back because i dont want to be overloaded with work and have never done spanish before also im not sure if an a level at standard level is like a foundation course in gcse.
-is a standard level gcse like foundation where the highest grade you can acheive is a C or something?

this is only for AS level and im planning on doing 3 subjects for A2 ( chem, bio, maths)
Sorry this is so long :tongue: any help would be appreciated :smile:
Thank you

As long as you have chemistry and biology, it shouldn't really matter what other subjects you do so psychology is fine. Picking it won't give you a disadvantage when applying to med school. If you are very interested in it, keep it as you're more likely to do well in subjects that you're more interested in.

To be honest, there is very little point in doing Spanish in addition to your A-Levels. It won't really give you an advantage when applying and you'll just unnecessarily burden yourself with more work. :smile:

Original post by ChrisP8

There isn't anything I want to do exactly, but I'm not too keen on Sciences or DT style stuff..

Oh right, well if you're unsure on what you want to do, Tullia posted a list of 'facilitating' subjects that may be good to take. I'll find the post and show it to you in a second. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by swaggy
My questions

Most universities require Chemistry and Biology for Medicine. Having Maths as well will ensure that all universities are available to you in terms of A-level subject requirements.

Given you have Chemistry, Biology and Maths in your subject combination then having Psychology as a 4th AS will not put you at a disadvantage. Psychology isn't the strongest subject choice available (Physics is considered a stronger subject choice) but it certainly isn't a 'soft' subject.

Physics isn't necessary and if you feel the difficulty of the subject would negatively impact on your other subject grades than it isn't worth taking. Grades are paramount after appropriate subject choice, as without them you'll find it more difficult to receive offers from universities.

I would advise you not to take Spanish. It will just add to your workload and isn't necessary.

Edit: Sorry Usy. Again. :tongue:
Reply 3991
As long as you have chemistry and biology, it shouldn't really matter what other subjects you do so psychology is fine. Picking it won't give you a disadvantage when applying to med school. If you are very interested in it, keep it as you're more likely to do well in subjects that you're more interested in.

To be honest, there is very little point in doing Spanish in addition to your A-Levels. It won't really give you an advantage when applying and you'll just unnecessarily burden yourself with more work. :smile:

Thanks that really helped i actually completely agree with you but i needed someone to say it to me because everyone around me is saying take physics and do spanish... but i dont want to lol :smile:
what careers or degrees can i get from choosing physics, philosophy, politics and psychology for A levels?
Reply 3993
Original post by Tullia
Most universities require Chemistry and Biology for Medicine. Having Maths as well will ensure that all universities are available to you in terms of A-level subject requirements.

Given you have Chemistry, Biology and Maths in your subject combination then having Psychology as a 4th AS will not put you at a disadvantage. Psychology isn't the strongest subject choice available (Physics is considered a stronger subject choice) but it certainly isn't a 'soft' subject.

Physics isn't necessary and if you feel the difficulty of the subject would negatively impact on your other subject grades than it isn't worth taking. Grades are paramount after appropriate subject choice, as without them you'll find it more difficult to receive offers from universities.

I would advise you not to take Spanish. It will just add to your workload and isn't necessary.

Edit: Sorry Usy. Again. :tongue:

Thanks for the reply and i dont think i will take physics because although it looks good i dont like it as much as psychology and i dont think i'd be able to handle 4 difficult subjects haha, and consider spanish gone :P
Reply 3994

Oh right, well if you're unsure on what you want to do, Tullia posted a list of 'facilitating' subjects that may be good to take. I'll find the post and show it to you in a second. :smile:

oh okay thanks!!:smile:
Original post by ChrisP8
oh okay thanks!!:smile:

Here's the post (credit goes to Tullia for it :smile: ):

Original post by Tullia
If you're looking to keep your options open because you're unsure as to what you wish to study at university, then you might wish to look at what are called 'facilitating subjects'. These are generally considered to be:

Mathematics and Further Mathematics

English (Literature)

Physics

Biology

Chemistry

Geography

History

Languages (Classical and Modern)

The problem with having no clear plan is that a lot of courses will have specific courses that are required (generally one or two). Looking here might be helpful to you: http://russellgroup.org/Informed%20Choices%20final.pdf
Original post by PoeticShoaib
what careers or degrees can i get from choosing physics, philosophy, politics and psychology for A levels?

can anyone help?
Will someone please answer my question? I'm stuck :frown:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by meganb507
Will someone please answer my question? I'm stuck :frown:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

What was your question?
am i invisible here?

Latest