The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1780
What's the 'best' combination out of these for medicine (I know it's been asked SO many times D: )

1) Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology [my current choice]

2) Maths, Chemistry, Biology, German [love German AND Physics. Which should I do? ]

3) Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Further Maths [Am willing to put the work in. Have gone from a B/C to high A* student in GCSE maths but don't know if i'll be able to cope with FM. Also not sure the benefit outweighs the cost]
Original post by oli_G
What's the 'best' combination out of these for medicine (I know it's been asked SO many times D: )

1) Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology [my current choice]

2) Maths, Chemistry, Biology, German [love German AND Physics. Which should I do? ]

3) Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Further Maths [Am willing to put the work in. Have gone from a B/C to high A* student in GCSE maths but don't know if i'll be able to cope with FM. Also not sure the benefit outweighs the cost]

I'd say Option 3 is just unnecessary work, especially if you're concerned about coping with Further Maths. Universities don't view it as a separate subject for medicine anyway.

Between Option 1 and 2, there really is practically no difference. It's just down to whether you'd rather do German or Physics! Go for the one you prefer or are better at, IMO.
Reply 1782
Original post by Chief Wiggum

I'd say Option 3 is just unnecessary work, especially if you're concerned about coping with Further Maths. Universities don't view it as a separate subject for medicine anyway.

Between Option 1 and 2, there really is practically no difference. It's just down to whether you'd rather do German or Physics! Go for the one you prefer or are better at, IMO.

Thanks, that's basically the conclusion I've come to about FM.

I'm probably going to do option 1 purely because physics is well taught where at my sixth form and I don't know if I CBA to do a MFL anymore =]

Thanks for the help.
Hi guys,
I am confused about choosing subjects in A level.I am currently giving my igcses and A level session will start this july.I took 8 subjects in IGCSe hoping to get at least As in physics,chemistry,maths B,Economics,Pure maths and ICT,not sure about A in English language b might get a B.So i am planning to study Computer engineering or Computer science in University of waterloo or (U of T).
Anyways so i am planning to choose
Chemistry,Physics,ICT and Maths.
I have a problem regarding maths since i am going in the it sector which combination i should choose:
1.C1-C4,m1,m2
2.C1-C4,s1,s2
3.C1-C4, fp1,fp2
4.C1-C4,m1,s1
5.C1-C4,m1,m2 + Further mathematics

Whats the difference between Further mathematics and the fp1 and fp2 included with C1-C4?ALso is chemistry necessary,i heard its rather impressive if i get A in chemistry in A levels.
I am an A student not a A* student btw.
Reply 1784
Original post by Viggo2790
Hey, I would probably choose your first option, as you would have to be weary of politics not being seen as a 'hard' subject.

Gah but second seems so much better.. How disadvantaged would I be when trying to get into law with history, politics chem and maths instead of lit, hist, chem and maths?
I was wondering, is it possible to take both eng lang and lit at a level as separate subjects?
I'm unsure of whether universities will favour this choice, as opposed to doing the dual subject of eng lang and lit, as i assume that the dual subject won't go into as much depth as separate subjects.
Original post by nkf176
Gah but second seems so much better.. How disadvantaged would I be when trying to get into law with history, politics chem and maths instead of lit, hist, chem and maths?

It could be said with some certainty that universities will consider english lit a harder subjextended than politics, although I think that's what you were inferring yourself. If you say did politics at AS then dropped it, that may be a good compromise. Ita's always good to turn up to your UCAS application with three solid qualifications.
Original post by DeadGirlsDance
I was wondering, is it possible to take both eng lang and lit at a level as separate subjects?
I'm unsure of whether universities will favour this choice, as opposed to doing the dual subject of eng lang and lit, as i assume that the dual subject won't go into as much depth as separate subjects.

At my school you could, and some do, however literature is more respected and as a result I chose just do do that and not language. If you want to go in that direction take something like history or philosophy instead as they may be more beneficial to you, and also provide some pleasant differentiation in your courses.
Original post by DeadGirlsDance

As above, you may be better just doing English Literature.
I'm doing maths, further maths, physics, chemistry, biology, and considering self teaching the psychology AS :biggrin: any advice? (besides drop something, anything actually helpful)
Original post by jacksonrr24
Hi guys,
I am confused about choosing subjects in A level.I am currently giving my igcses and A level session will start this july.I took 8 subjects in IGCSe hoping to get at least As in physics,chemistry,maths B,Economics,Pure maths and ICT,not sure about A in English language b might get a B.So i am planning to study Computer engineering or Computer science in University of waterloo or (U of T).
Anyways so i am planning to choose
Chemistry,Physics,ICT and Maths.
I have a problem regarding maths since i am going in the it sector which combination i should choose:
1.C1-C4,m1,m2
2.C1-C4,s1,s2
3.C1-C4, fp1,fp2
4.C1-C4,m1,s1
5.C1-C4,m1,m2 + Further mathematics

Whats the difference between Further mathematics and the fp1 and fp2 included with C1-C4?ALso is chemistry necessary,i heard its rather impressive if i get A in chemistry in A levels.
I am an A student not a A* student btw.

Engineering is based on maths and physics, and so are computers, so In my opinion drop ICT and do option 5, with mechanics and Further Maths. ICT is said to be a quite unuseful Alevel.
Original post by kasiasunshine
Engineering is based on maths and physics, and so are computers, so In my opinion drop ICT and do option 5, with mechanics and Further Maths. ICT is said to be a quite unuseful Alevel.

Thanks for replying.Are you sure that i should drop ICT?cause i may either go into computer engineering or computer science(which may require ICT).Is mechanics necessary for computer engineering?Also how important is chemistry?I know its very hard.
Thanks for replying.Are you sure that i should drop ICT?cause i may either go into computer engineering or computer science(which may require ICT).Is mechanics necessary for computer engineering?Also how important is chemistry?I know its very hard.

ICT is also considered a soft subject by universities. They don't even care if you do ICT or computing if you want to study computer science. They would rather you do maths.
Original post by Articaaa
ICT is also considered a soft subject by universities. They don't even care if you do ICT or computing if you want to study computer science. They would rather you do maths.

Oh ok then i am going to drop ICT,so i should keep chemistry right?And is mechanics necessary?
Oh ok then i am going to drop ICT,so i should keep chemistry right?And is mechanics necessary?

Chemistry is considered the hardest Science but is very useful if you want to do many subjects. I am going to be doing Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Music. They are all quite sciencey, :teehee: But originally, I was going to do Maths, Further Maths, Physics, ICT and Music. Then I heard ICT was a soft subject. :yep:

Anyway, the point is that if you want to keep your options open, then Chemistry is the way forward. :yep:

Mechanics is useful for subjects like Physics, I think Statistics is useful for Biology. What do you want to study at university?
Chemistry is considered the hardest Science but is very useful if you want to do many subjects. I am going to be doing Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Music. They are all quite sciencey, :teehee: But originally, I was going to do Maths, Further Maths, Physics, ICT and Music. Then I heard ICT was a soft subject. :yep:

Anyway, the point is that if you want to keep your options open, then Chemistry is the way forward. :yep:

Mechanics is useful for subjects like Physics, I think Statistics is useful for Biology. What do you want to study at university?

I want to study computer engineering or computer science in uni.So i am planning to do physics,C1-C4,FP1-FP-2.Gonna drop ict,not so sure about chemistry but i may get a A* in IGCSE in chemistry.
I am not planning to do FP3-FP4 along with mechanics,so i may either do FP1-FP4 or FP1-FP2 and M1 and M2.Which one should i choose?
I want to study computer engineering or computer science in uni.So i am planning to do physics,C1-C4,FP1-FP-2.Gonna drop ict,not so sure about chemistry but i may get a A* in IGCSE in chemistry.
I am not planning to do FP3-FP4 along with mechanics,so i may either do FP1-FP4 or FP1-FP2 and M1 and M2.Which one should i choose?

Oh cool! I am interested in doing computer science too. :h:

I would definitely choose FP1, FP2, M1 and M2. Because it is useful for Physics.

Chemistry is hard but I think that if you enjoy it, you will do well in it. :h:
Oh cool! I am interested in doing computer science too. :h:

I would definitely choose FP1, FP2, M1 and M2. Because it is useful for Physics.

Chemistry is hard but I think that if you enjoy it, you will do well in it. :h:

Nice you too in ICT :smile:.But you sure about mechanics right?It is necessary for computer engineering?So i am going to try fp1,fp2 and m1,m2.
Nice you too in ICT :smile:.But you sure about mechanics right?It is necessary for computer engineering?So i am going to try fp1,fp2 and m1,m2.

Yuup. I spend 24:7 on the computer. :colone:

I am definitely sure, but if you aren't sure, you could always self teach.

I am doing Maths and Further Maths so I cover most of all the topics. :colone:
What could i go on with history, maths, bio and economics alevel at uni ???????

Latest