The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
england IS a country....
I'm both, though if asked always say English. I have Welsh ancestry too.
Reply 62
Gemma2010
england IS a country....

Ok.
Reply 63
I hate Scotland and Wales so I prefer to be called English.

England is the best anyway.
I guess.

Doesn't apply to me though.
Reply 65
TRS-T
Obviously I know England is not a country and that our country is the UK which makes us British.

Please tell me your joking.
Reply 66
Gemma2010
england IS a country....

In a very specific context that can't be meaningfully compared to any countries other than Scotland, Wales and NI. It's kind of like how an oak tree and a family tree are both trees.
Reply 67
Erm, well I seem to be the only person who doesn't support andy murray (why should I support a ******* scot, they wouldn't support an Englishman) , but I have no problem with wales. Scottish independence ftw, they can **** off
Reply 68
I'm Muslim first and then English.
Scottish or British. Doesn't make any difference to me to be honest. It's just a nationality, and I'm a person not a flag/mass of land at the end of the day.
Reply 70
I say English because its easier...
Though I don't rank English above being British...
Reply 71
shark67
I'm Muslim first and then English.

Who mentioned religion?
Reply 72
Lol. I don't care what I am.

I feel no patriotism toward Yorkshire, England or Britain whatsoever.
Reply 73
TRS-T
Anyone else preferred to be called English rather than British?

Like I notice how the Americans always call us "dumb Brits" and stuff.

Obviously I know England is not a country and that our country is the UK which makes us British.

But if I went to America and they asked me where I was from (or any country for that matter), I would always say 'I'm from England' rather than 'I'm from the UK.'

Obviously if they asked me if I was British or from the UK I wouldn't say no...

If you understand what I'm trying to say here then great :smile:

i'm chinese :yep:
Reply 74
You Failed
You'd also have spelt 'story' wrong, wise choice not to go for it!

Ah, but luckily I would have used a pre-prepared internet 'meme' image to combine both the statement and an amusing picture which portrayed how I had emotionally reacted to the situation. As such, any errors therein would not be my own. :wink:
L i b
Ah, but luckily I would have used a pre-prepared internet 'meme' image to combine both the statement and an amusing picture which portrayed how I had emotionally reacted to the situation. As such, any errors therein would not be my own. :wink:

Ah, it seems you have this all thought through! Well played good sir!
Reply 76
ritchie888
The UK is a country (also a union) but it's made up of four other countries; England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland.

Britain is pretty much the same but excludes Northern Ireland.

No, it doesn't. Northern Ireland is part of Britain. It is not part of Great Britain, however.

0w3n-69
Cannot stand it when people, namely Americans, say we're British!

Personally, i'm not British. I'm English. To me, 'British' makes a reference to the whole of this island we're on. I don't want to have any connection with Scotland, Wales or Ireland. I don't have any affiliation with them... i live in the part that is called England. And to call me anything other than that would imply that i have some kind of contact or share something with the other countries, which i don't...

That's ludicrous. I am British because of sharing a political and civic bond with my fellow countrymen. I don't pretend it's because I have 'contact' with or 'share' anything with other people. Ultimately, I will never meet the vast majority of my fellow Scots or Britons, but that doesn't matter a jot to me. I have honestly no interest in certain parts of the country, whether it be Ross-shire or Derbyshire - I could go my whole life and never desire to visit these places or meet anyone from there; that doesn't make them any less my compatriots.
draikzer
Lol. I don't care what I am.

I feel no patriotism toward Yorkshire, England or Britain whatsoever.

Not even Yorkshire? :nn:
Reply 78
Moe Lester
Not even Yorkshire? :nn:

Nah man. =/ Not a fan of Yorkshire. My parents think I'm some sort of heathen haha...
Reply 79
I say British because I was born here... it would be kinda wrong if an asian girl called herself english, right?

Latest

Trending

Trending